Budget 0-20k upgrading computer in steps

bazinga

Disciple
Questions

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
None.
Will be borrowing cabinet, keyboard,mouse,monitor from friend.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
-----

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel i3 3220
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
PSU -compatible one
RAM - Trasncend 4 GB pc ram
HDD - Seagate 500 Gb
GPU - compatible one

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes/No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
HTPC
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Civilization 4
Racing - Grid at medium to high settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit
Linux - 12.10

I will be able to spend 10k now. and 3 months later around 10k again. so please suggest me config.

- - - Updated - - -

Additional info :
My friend told me that d components which he will be lending are : cabinet, pentium dual core processor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor. motherboard i have no idea about.
Should i go about the up-gradation like this -
1) now buy psu, hdd and ram to get the computer up and running.
2) couple of months later, buy new processor, motherboard and if possible graphics card.

Keeping in mind the things said above, please suggest suitable configuration. Thank you.

Hey anything iv posted wrongly?

Well since i can spend about 10k only this month, and im borrowing an intel motherboard(among other things), can i buy the following components?
1) 500 GB Seagate Barracuda
2) 4 GB Corsair Value RAM
3) a 400 W PSU
4) Radeon 6670 HD DDR5 1 GB graphics card.

Please let me know at the earliest. I dont know what ive posted wrong, since there are no replies. Please do suggest.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card vs HIS AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card vs Gigabyte AMD/ATI GV-R775OC-1GI 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card vs HIS AMD 5670 ICEQ 1GB GDDR5 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Compare Graphics Cards: Flipkart

Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card vs Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card vs HIS AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card vs PowerColor AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Compare Graphics Cards: Flipkart.com

tell me the best one among these,, or suggest others.

@bazinga
You should give us more details. You can at least give us the processor no. like say Pentium Dual core G620 etc...
Pentium dual core has been around from 2005 and without details regarding the processor type and motherboard you cant expect decent suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
@DarkAngel
Processor - Pentium Dual Core E2140
Mobo - Intel G33/31 chipset series.
Thank you for your reply :) . And kindly suggest suitable config.

@DarkAngel
Well he said hes not sure. But he said that the RAM he had was DDR2(he bought the computer from a dealer). So im not sure. What do you suggest?

DarkAngel
Processor - Pentium Dual Core E2140
Mobo - Intel G33/31 chipset series.
Thank you for your reply :) . And kindly suggest suitable config.

A little more detail is needed. The G31/G33 models sometimes have DDR2 RAM slots and some have DDR3 RAM slots and sometimes both. So ask your friend which RAM slot it uses.

- - - Updated - - -

Then it should be DDR2 model. DDR2 RAM costs double as DDR3 models since it is old tech.
If you can give us the model no. then we can check whether the mobo does have DDR3 RAM slots too. But considering the processor I am guessing he might have bought the setup in 2008-2009 and mostly the board might have only DDR2 RAM slot.If you can do get the motherboard model no from him as it might save you some cash.

@DarkAngel
Check this link pls : List of Intel chipsets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says in there(at bottom of the page) that no DDR3 support is present. In which case do i need to change the motherboard also? but in the table it says that the memory compatible are ddr2 and 800ddr3. So if i buy a 1600 mhz ddr3 ram, what will happen?
Now if i buy a motherboard first, i cant use the dual core processor since most new mobos have FCLGA1155 type. So the old processor wont be compatible. So i have to buy a mobo and processor first? and then later hdd and ram n psu? in that case i will not be able to run the pc until all the components are bought right?
What should i do?
Kindly suggest :) ,and thanks for your reply!

So if i buy a 1600 mhz ddr3 ram, what will happen?

You will not be able to use it as the alignment notch has been moved up and the two types are thus incompatible whilst keeping the same pin-count.

Also for the motherboard model, we want the exact model number, not the chipset type.

Wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year. Cheers!

@ALPHA17
Model no : DG31PR
thank you for the reply :). Pls suggest suitable configuration :)
Wishing you a happy and prosperous new year too :)

2GB DDR2 RAM costs ~1.25k whereas you can get 4GB DDR3 for ~1.1k or so. So I would say if you can get a RAM stick from your friend to go for that mobo and CPU set up else wait a while and upgrade in full with a new set up in a month.

@DarkAngel @ALPHA17

I looked at a Motherboard called - Gigabyte GA-G41M. It supports DDR3 RAM and the current dual core processor. Should i buy it? Im not sure about its graphic card compatibility though.
But, when i want to upgrade my processor, to lets say core i3 3220, i will have to change the motherboard again right? I was thinking that since there is no graphic card right now, i could buy it instead of a new PSU(I have a generic Frontech PSU). To get the PC up-and-running. But when i want to upgrade the processor, i will have to buy a new motherboard. When i want to buy the graphic card, i will have to buy a new PSU as well.

I have the following options :
1) 500 GB Barracuda HDD+4 GB RAM(Corsair Value)+GA-G41M Motherboard - Rs 8000 NOW
i3 3220 + Gigabyte B75MD3H - Rs 11,700 LATER
GFX + Corsair CX430V2 PSU - Rs 10,000 (Assuming GFX - 7,300) EVEN LATER
2) Wait a while until i have enough to buy HDD+RAM+Mobo+Proccesor+PSU - Rs 19,000
GFX - LATER

Whatever you do, ensure that the mobo you get is a good one and which you wont change around since then you will need to change the proccy as well.

Rather than going for the older config, go for a LGA 1155 mobo + pentium dual core CPU for the time being. Get a single 4GB stick and buy one more when funds are there at your disposal.

Get a used 400W+ PSU, any good/decent brand. Or go for the Corsair Cx430 or something, not sure exact model.

Get a 500GB HDD at the very least, ensure its not a green one.

Optical drive, get a used one. or skimp on it all together. no point in wasting 1K on it if possible to avoid. Buy one later.

Get a GPU if you have cash.

@vivek.krishnan
LGA 1155 mobo are not compatible with pentium dual core CPU, which are LGA 775. Hence, i am forced to buy the Gigabyte GA-G41M. Or instead wait to collect cash and buy it at all once. I will buy 4 GB RAM-Corsair Value or Vengeance-depending on funds.
Should i wait and buy it all at once? or buy it in steps as iterated above?

@vivek.krishnan
LGA 1155 mobo are not compatible with pentium dual core CPU, which are LGA 775. Hence, i am forced to buy the Gigabyte GA-G41M. Or instead wait to collect cash and buy it at all once. I will buy 4 GB RAM-Corsair Value or Vengeance-depending on funds.
Should i wait and buy it all at once? or buy it in steps as iterated above?

^^ Buy it all at once instead of dissipating funds inefficiently on components that will be redundant after the upgrade.

This is the stagger I would recommend --

Phase I -- Cooler Master eLite 311 + Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB + Seasonic S12II 520W OR Corsair CX v2430W
Phase II -- Core i3 / i5 processor + GIGAYBTE-B75M-D3H + 4GB x2 1600MHz RAM modules + keyboard / mouse Optical drive
Phase III -- Graphics card + UPS

Hope this helps, Cheers!

^^ Buy it all at once instead of dissipating funds inefficiently on components that will be redundant after the upgrade.

This is the stagger I would recommend --

Phase I -- Cooler Master eLite 311 + Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB + Seasonic S12II 520W OR Corsair CX v2430W
Phase II -- Core i3 / i5 processor + GIGAYBTE-B75M-D3H + 4GB x2 1600MHz RAM modules + keyboard / mouse Optical drive
Phase III -- Graphics card + UPS

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Yes, not a bad idea. However, Phase II will have to be split for him as the i3 proccy itself will cost about 8K or more.
@bazinga Could you give a more detailed explanation as to your exact funds and what your friend is going to give you. What @ALPHA17 has mentioned is quite good.

Yes, not a bad idea. However, Phase II will have to be split for him as the i3 proccy itself will cost about 8K or more.
@bazinga Could you give a more detailed explanation as to your exact funds and what your friend is going to give you. What @ALPHA17 has mentioned is quite good.

^^ In Delhi the Core i3 3220 is going for ~7000/- (inclusive taxes).

What is with the pricing / price fluctuation? =|

^Nope the pricing of i3 3220 is between 7-7.5k,Nothing wrong with the price.Wishing everyone here a happy new year!

^Cost to Cost has some shady reviews from the buyers and i think they post the prices excluding tax,Anyway if the price is low then it's good for all.

^Cost to Cost has some shady reviews from the buyers and i think they post the prices excluding tax,Anyway if the price is low then it's good for all.

I have been there is person, it is definitely not the best place to shop from but Computer Empire also puts up their rates and there also the prices (of the Core i3) were South of ~7000/- that is why I say it with absolute
conviction.

Even if you include taxes in the Cost2Cost prices it does not add up more than ~7000/-.

Back