Upgrading CPU/Mobo with reinstalling windows

Arjun

Skilled
If i upgrade from 3rd gen i3 to 12th gen system can i plug in the old HDD with windows 10 without any changes or format.

If i upgrade from 3rd gen i3 to 12th gen system can i plug in the old HDD with windows 10 without any changes or format.
will be fine. I dropped an SSD that was used in a desktop with 10th gen i3 into my laptop that runs on a Celeron and it booted fine. Same when I changed my desktop from Intel to AMD. clean install is recommended but not necessary.

I do it all the time and never had any issues. In fact, I have a couple of SSDs with everything installed on it as a backup in case any of the systems we work on fails. I just pull out the SSD and put the new one in.

This has been the case only on Windows 10. Older versions do not play well.

As for activation, it depends on whether the hardware has been activated earlier or not. Since we use legit versions on all our systems, I never really got to try it on brand new hardware.

Upgraded from 3rd gen to 12th gen on same setup, only issue was changing bios from UEFI to CSM to make the hdd boot. So far everything looks normal.

Back