Budget Above 40k Upgrading from Samsung s21fe to Oneplus 12. Makes sense?

Hi - thinking of upgrading from my 1.5 year old S21 FE to Oneplus 12 primarily because of battery issues / charging time as well as s21 fe generally being a bit slow. Just worried about whether I will be compromising on the camera quality. Do you guys think that oneplus 12 will have an inferior camera (primarily photos) to the s21 fe, or will it be an upgrade on the camera as well as compared to the s21 fe?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion.

Go ahead, you wont be disappointed. The only drawback is that curved display. Normal screen protectors wont be there. You have to use something called UV glue protector and applying that is a mess.
doesn't work too well too, it'll come right off when you use a back cover, and for curved displays, a back cover is a must unless you are fine shelling out the dough for a new screen

Hi - thinking of upgrading from my 1.5 year old S21 FE to Oneplus 12 primarily because of battery issues / charging time as well as s21 fe generally being a bit slow. Just worried about whether I will be compromising on the camera quality. Do you guys think that oneplus 12 will have an inferior camera (primarily photos) to the s21 fe, or will it be an upgrade on the camera as well as compared to the s21 fe?

buy any other Samsung in your budget check for SD processor.

My friend recently bought the OP12. Traded her Pixel 7 in because the battery on that sucked, and used to overheat.

The phone is great, battery life is outstanding and the screen quality is excellent. The camera quality is better than expected and takes good photos. As for the curved display, buy the protector from a OP store. They specifically keep those. They will also apply it for you.

PS and OT - I personally love curved displays and never use a screen protector lol. I have a Motorola Edge 30 Ultra and it's been naked since day one.

As for the curved display, buy the protector from a OP store. They specifically keep those. They will also apply it for you.
This isnt always the case. I owned a OP12 for a few months. It came with a basic screen guard installed. When that needed replacement, visited the OnePlus store and their service centre. Neither had the screen protector. There were third party options I could find at a local mobile accesories shop though

I had moved to the op12 from an old samsung s20 plus. The camera was better than the Samsung. It seemed to have a lot more bloat/spyware than the samsung. It took a while to clean it up. Battery life was excellent. Snappy processor

This isnt always the case. I owned a OP12 for a few months. It came with a basic screen guard installed. When that needed replacement, visited the OnePlus store and their service centre. Neither had the screen protector. There were third party options I could find at a local mobile accesories shop though

I had moved to the op12 from an old samsung s20 plus. The camera was better than the Samsung. It seemed to have a lot more bloat/spyware than the samsung. It took a while to clean it up. Battery life was excellent. Snappy processor
what is current brand of mobile & why selected over OP12?

Camera, Battery, Processor everything is an upgrade over the s21fe .. Display is bright and regarding the screen protector you can use hydrogel ones with smooth application from Amazon (Both Matte & Transparent ones) ..Camera is not on par with the S24 Ultra but it's a good upgrade over OnePlus 11.. it's as snappy as the S24 Ultra and more snapper than Vivo X100 pro

I compared my S20FE 5G to a friend's OP11R, the primary camera quality was similar. So I highly doubt OP12 has inferior cameras. Unless you are too much into Samsung specific features, I doubt you will miss anything, should be a good upgrade, esp the charging.

Don't think I will buy a Samsung again, primarily due to super slow charging and battery issues.
I really hope Samsung, Google & Nothing jumps to 65W charging at least. They are just too slow now considering battery life is improving very slowly over the years due to efficiency gains (lack thereof in 2021 & 2022) or battery size increase.

Regarding battery life, sadly it is the fault of Samsung fab. Exynos, S888/888+, 8 Gen 1 (not 8+ Gen 1) & Tensor are made at Samsung fab, known for poor efficiency. Sadly Samsung is shooting in their own foot by having flagships use chip made at Samsung fab. S23 rectified it but S24 & S24+ returns with exynos (better than earlier but is still inferior). I know people who jumped from S21 to iPhone 13 & saw a good jump in battery life, such people will never again buy an android phone in the future.

Just an update on this - I did go ahead and bought the OP12 and very happy with the choice. The battery is simply outstanding. I am getting more than 7-8 hours of SOT with GPS and 4g/5g almost always on. This is easily twice of what I was getting on my s21 fe. Plus the charging speed is a fraction of what it was with the Samsung.

The camera is also a good upgrade. The only bit of a letdown is the screen quality which I feel isn't as sharp as my old Samsung. The colours aren't as vibrant, and sometimes apps like WhatsApp etc appear washed out. Will do more research on this and may be i need to change something in the settings.

Overall super happy with my purchase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-11-11-48-56-89_0ba066473b79d6e213a1f6f52505e2ee.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-11-11-48-56-89_0ba066473b79d6e213a1f6f52505e2ee.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
Just an update on this - I did go ahead and bought the OP12 and very happy with the choice. The battery is simply outstanding. I am getting more than 7-8 hours of SOT with GPS and 4g/5g almost always on. This is easily twice of what I was getting on my s21 fe. Plus the charging speed is a fraction of what it was with the Samsung.

The camera is also a good upgrade. The only bit of a letdown is the screen quality which I feel isn't as sharp as my old Samsung. The colours aren't as vibrant, and sometimes apps like WhatsApp etc appear washed out. Will do more research on this and may be i need to change something in the settings.

Overall super happy with my purchase.
Turn on something like vibrant mode on the display vs natural mode for colours. Colours will start poping out. Not sure why you feel display is a downgrade, maybe check if has a resolution toggle like 1440p Samsung phones.

Back