Storage Solutions Upgrading Internal HDD for Laptop - compatibility ?

deepankar143

Disciple
Hey Guys,

I am planning to upgrade my laptop HDD to a higher capacity. Currently, my laptop houses a 320GB HDD and I am planning to upgrade it to atleast 640GB. My laptop is Lenovo G550 with Intel C2D T6600, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia 210M GPU.

Is there any compatibility issue while upgrading the HDD in laptop??

Plz suggest me HDD with latest price..

Re: Internal HDD for Laptop

There aren't any compatibility issues.

If you're getting a WD drive, you will need to take into account that some of their models use 'Advanced Format', and will have to use their WD Align utility. This is a non issue if you're running Windows Vista and above.

A 640GB drive shouldn't have height issues so it should be perfectly compatible. The newer 1TB 2.5" drives have a height of 12.5mm whereas the other drives have a height of 9.5mm as pointed out by pratikb.

I have used a WD5000BEVT - a 500GB drive, and had to replace it once due to some bad sectors (which unfortunately did not show up in HD Tune and other utilities). The replacement drive is working fine since then. I believe WD has a similarly spec'd 6400BEVT as well.

Gannu said:
A 640GB drive shouldn't have height issues so it should be perfectly compatible. The newer 1TB 2.5" drives have a height of 12.5mm whereas the other drives have a height of 9.5mm as pointed out by pratikb.

I have used a WD5000BEVT - a 500GB drive, and had to replace it once due to some bad sectors (which unfortunately did not show up in HD Tune and other utilities). The replacement drive is working fine since then. I believe WD has a similarly spec'd 6400BEVT as well.
Yea.. I was coming from the "atleast 640GB" part

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

deepankar143 said:
Thanx guys..

2morrow going to NP to buy one..
Do post back here if you have any luck finding 7200 rpm drives.

When I tried, the answers ranged from Out of stock (plausible) to laptop drives are only 5400 rpm, and desktop drives are only 7200 rpm

Hey Guys,

640GB HDD are not available @ NP. Asked SMC International and CE. Maximum available internal storage for laptop is 500GB.

The more interesting thing I found there that the internal HDD is costlier than portable HDD by Rs 200.

Gannu said:

i also had got same disk for my vaio.

it developed same issue and i got it rma'd.but unluckily for me i had RMA drive also bad in matter of months.so now i am on third drive which came out of RMA.

i dont know what is my Warrenty status.

ultimately i settled on hitachi travelstar 7200.3 500 gb drive.

its going pretty strong.

Back