Upgrading My Desktop PC....suggestions

Surve.p

Disciple
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my existing (outdated) PC, budget has be below 15K...here's what I'm looking to upgrade:

1.Q: What is your budget?
a.15K
2.Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Proccy: P IV 2.4 GHz
Motherboard - Intel D845GVSR board with extreme graphics
RAM - Transcend 2 X 512 MB DDR
Monitor - Dell S1909W
SMPS - local (VIP - 300W), one year old.
Hard Drive: Samsung SP0842N (80GB) - about 2 yrs old
Keyboard: Iball (PS/2 socket plug type)
Mouse: Logitech (USB port)
Speakers: Mercury (MS 440)
Samsung DVD Combo CD Writer
1.44 MB FDD (floppy drive)
2 USB Ports, 10/100 ethernet
3.Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Dell S1909W
SMPS - local (VIP - 300W), one year old.
Hard Drive: Samsung SP0842N (80GB) - about 2 yrs old
Keyboard: Iball (PS/2 socket plug type)
Mouse: Logitech (USB port)
Speakers: Mercury (MS 440)
Samsung DVD Combo CD Writer
1.44 MB FDD (floppy drive)

5.Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
a.Yes, wish to upgrade now
b.Proccy : core i3
c.Mobo: compatible to proccy/RAM
d.RAM - 2X1GB

6.Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
a.Mumbai
b.Open to online purchase

7.Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
a.No

8.Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
a.Browsing
b.Desktop Processing
c.Design/drawing (CAD, Phtoshop CS2, etc)
d.Music/songs
e.Watching HD movies

9.Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
a.Prefer Intel Proccy, relaible Mobo. Reliability/durability for atleast the next 3-4 years usage.

10.Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Very casual gaming

11.Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Have a monitor, would like to stick with this one for the mo.

12.Q: Are you looking to overclock?
a.No

13.Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
a.Windows 7
So, I am primarily looking only to upgrade my Mobo, the proccy, and the RAM. Would like to keep the rest. Just wondering if the existing Samsung HDD, the DVD combo, and the SMPS would be compatible with the Mobo and proccy with the upgrade? ...btw...the 80GB HDD is more than sufficient for me...can always go in for a HDD add on later.

Thanks in advance.

You can get a quad core proccy from AMD for that price and they too carry 3 years of warranty. So u need not worry about that. Many ppl in forum has AMD CPU and its doing a great job. CPU's are one of the components of the PC that are least likely to fail.

CPU: AthlonII X4 635 ~ 5k
Mobo: MSI 785GM-E51 ~ 4.1k
RAM: 4GB (2+2) Kingston DDRIII 1333MHz ~ 4.1k
PSU: FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k / Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k (PSU is the heart of the PC. Dont skimp on that. Generic PSU's dont deliver the rated wattage and the power thats delivered is also not clean)

Total: 14.7k-15.2k

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

If u still insist on Intel the consider the following,
CPU: Intel Core i-3 530 ~ 5.3k
Mobo: Gigabyte H-55M-S2 ~ 4.5k
PSU: FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k
Total: ~15.4k

GA-H55M-S2 (rev. 1.3) - GIGABYTE

Hey thanks for the prompt response....with the links et all....The PSU? the same function as the SMPS?...srry, a bit new to the lingo...

RAM - 2 GB should be good...at the mo at 1GB, and seems good.

Also, was looking to retain the 10/100 ethernet (LAN card) and add WLAN + 4 USB ports....is that an add on cost?

Still prefer the Intel...:)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also, any resources on where in Mumbai I can get the upgrade done? I know I could get the components at Prime..but the assembly/upgrade?

thanks again...

DarkAngel said:
You can get a quad core proccy from AMD for that price and they too carry 3 years of warranty. So u need not worry about that. Many ppl in forum has AMD CPU and its doing a great job. CPU's are one of the components of the PC that are least likely to fail.

CPU: AthlonII X4 635 ~ 5k
Mobo: MSI 785GM-E51 ~ 4.1k
PSU: FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k / Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k (PSU is the heart of the PC. Dont skimp on that. Generic PSU's dont deliver the rated wattage and the power thats delivered is also not clean)

Total: 14.7k-15.2k

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

If u still insist on Intel the consider the following,
CPU: Intel Core i-3 530 ~ 5.3k
Mobo: Gigabyte H-55M-S2 ~ 4.5k
PSU: FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k
Total: ~15.4k

GA-H55M-S2 (rev. 1.3) - GIGABYTE
replace Gigabyte H-55M-S2 with MSI H55M-E33, its selling for 4.6 k at smc delhi, H-55M-S2 does not have solid capacitors msi does.

Surve.p said:
Hey thanks for the prompt response....with the links et all....The PSU? the same function as the SMPS?...srry, a bit new to the lingo...
RAM - 2 GB should be good...at the mo at 1GB, and seems good.
Also, was looking to retain the 10/100 ethernet (LAN card) and add WLAN + 4 USB ports....is that an add on cost?

Still prefer the Intel

Also, any resources on where in Mumbai I can get the upgrade done? I know I could get the components at Prime..but the assembly/upgrade?

thanks again...
Yes. PSU = SMPS. Both are same.
U can also check out ELounge(theitwares--> Dealer in TE). Prime is good too.
TheITWares

Arjun said:
replace Gigabyte H-55M-S2 with MSI H55M-E33, its selling for 4.6 k at smc delhi, H-55M-S2 does not have solid capacitors msi does.

The H55M-S2 does have solid caps for the CPU VRM. But as u say the H55M-E33 has all solid caps. Actually Techtree were quoting the price of the H55M-S2 as 3.9k. But i am not sure of the market price.

So Surve u can also consider this MSI mobo if available and pricing is within ur budget.

Thanks guys...will let you guys know how it went...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hey guys, just had a quick question....is the MSI H55M-E33 mobo going to be compatible with my Samsung HDD - Samsung SP0842N (80GB) ?...and my Samsung DVD Combo CD Writer? I do not want to end up having to purchase these two in addition...

thanks

Back