Upgrading OS, help me to decide and how to proceed

src2206

Adept
Hello friends

I am running a 32bit XP Pro with SP3. As I use lot of graphics programs, I was wondering whether it would be prudent to upgrade to a 64bit version, and if yes, to XP 64bit or Win7 64bit. Please note I have been using this installation of XP for last 5 years or so. Regarding this, please clear my following doubts.

1. I have about 3GB of RAM (planning to add more as graphics editing programs are very much RAM intensive). So will a 64bit OS operate better than a 32bit? And shall the programs run faster?

. In case of upgrading to 64bit, will XP PRo 64bit a better choice or Windows 7 64bit?

3. Can I transfer my settings from my present system to the new one? Mainly I am worried about the Browser (Firefox and Chrome). I can not afford to loose the settings.

4. In case some programs do not have 64bit versions available (I use some free programs which do not offer 64bit) can I still use the 32bit version?

5. I have heard that Win gradually takes up space on the installation partition. Is that true? If yes, is there any solution to this?

6. If it is better to upgrade to 32bit XP to 64bit Win7 or XP, please let me know how exactly should I proceed. Sadly I can not afford to loose much time over setting up my system. I would like to upgrade via the least hassle free way (preferably without a clean install, unless that is absolutely necessary).

Thank you.

1 - since you are planning to add some more RAM I would suggest you to install 64bit OS. 32bit OS supports only up to 3.25gb RAM, rest of the RAM will be wasted anyway.

2. Windows 7 64bit. A happy user since 4years :)

3. you can sync firefox, chrome settings, bookmarks.

4. Almost every 32bit software can be run on 64bit system :)

5. 64bit OS takes up couple of GBs more. but that's worth it :)

6. Go for Windows 7 64bit. installation will take less time but setting up the system like before may take some time. spend couple of hours and you are good to go!

Thanks friends
It seems like Win 7 64 bit is the path to take.
Basically I was reading an article about Photoshop CS6 (most probably on official site, can not recall), and it was mentioned there that to use it's full potential, it is necessary to use a 64bit system. As I work a lot with photos, if 64bit OS saves my time, it would be great.

Now, as I was reading an article about this upgrade on official M$ site, I found that they are recommending "Custom Install"! I also installed and ran Win 7 upgrade adviser, and it is also telling me to do a "Custom Install". Could some one please throw some light on it? How is it different from Clean Install? Which would be better?

Thanks again.

@src2206 I think Custom install is a Clean install with a few more options thrown in, re-partitioning the drive and such (my opinion, can be wrong).

Even I am an extremely satisfied Windows 7 user, have not formatted more than thrice in ~2[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] of operations. No major infections either.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ALPHA17

Do you use separate AV and FW or the Windows Security essentials would suffice?

I use the stock MICROSOFT Security Essentials (since its release), it is not the most comprehensive OR powerful solution but using that and common-sense there is no chance for a virus / malware to gain entry on your system.

I would stake my RIG on it. Cheerio!

Just in case I decide not to use MSE, can I uninstall it?

Yes you can, there is no hard and fast rule to use MSE only; although I would highly recommend it even in the face of competition like Norton and E-SET.

Whence you choose to uninstall MSE the OS will roll back to Windows Defender.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Yes you can, there is no hard and fast rule to use MSE only; although I would highly recommend it even in the face of competition like Norton and E-SET.

Whence you choose to uninstall MSE the OS will roll back to Windows Defender.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Thanks a lot, it really helps.
While in XP, I have always been using AVAST Free AV and Comodo Pro Firewall (Free0), and I am happy with both, and I was thinking of using these two with the Win 7 64 bit too.
Do you have any reliable resource page regarding how to configure Windows 7 or any free tool (like Tweak UI for XP)? Google basically shows a lot of links but I would love to know from someone who is using Win 7 for long. :)

Do you have any reliable resource page regarding how to configure Windows 7 or any free tool (like Tweak UI for XP)? Google basically shows a lot of links but I would love to know from someone who is using Win 7 for long.

How to configure what in Windows 7?

Please clear my one doubt:

If I install a 64bit OS, it would be able to use more than 3GB of RAM, should not that make application run considerably faster (specially those which are memory intensive like Ps CS6)? I am little confused on this!

Honestly :
1) hmm... let me try to explain it to you in an easy way..... 64 bit or 32 bit ONLY comes into effect if you cross 4 GB of RAM. So if you are planning for lets say... 6 GB... 64 bit is the way to go.... 32 bit will only run 3-4 GB max even if you have 6 GM of RAM. Thats like 2 GB spilled over and into the gutter.

2) If you still keep your RAM as 3 GB n then upgrade to 64 Bit OS, it doesnt make ANY NOTICEABLE difference. You will still experience the same speed.

3) If you going for original win7 64 Bit OS .... they have the ability to "upgrade" the current OS (I hope you have more than 1 actual HDD and not just self made partitions just in case....) so all the settings and programs will still remain the same. (be warned : it takes hours to install the OS with the "upgrade" option)

Thanks, but I think my original doubt still remains unanswered...
In case I add another 2GB of RAM, then I believe the programs should run faster because now the OS will be able to map the rest of the RAM. BTW, at present, though I have 3GB installed, itonly shows 2.75GB.

Definitely Programs will run faster if you have an additional 2GB of RAM + 64 Bit OS. if you add 2 GB of RAM and stay on 32 Bit, its just a waste.

Note : Since your usage is regarding to graphics , Make sure you have a good graphics card too medium will do since you dont need that much resources which is needed in gaming. Sometimes your PC being slow may also happen due to an under performing graphic card which comes as stock.

P.S - I heard win8 is smaller in size and uses lesser RAM (meaning more RAM to run your other programs).... do check it out

Definitely Programs will run faster if you have an additional 2GB of RAM + 64 Bit OS. if you add 2 GB of RAM and stay on 32 Bit, its just a waste.

Note : Since your usage is regarding to graphics , Make sure you have a good graphics card too medium will do since you dont need that much resources which is needed in gaming. Sometimes your PC being slow may also happen due to an under performing graphic card which comes as stock.

P.S - I heard win8 is smaller in size and uses lesser RAM (meaning more RAM to run your other programs).... do check it out

Thank you for your reply.
I already have ATi Radeon HD4770 512MB DDR5 GPU installed and I intend to upgrade to 64bit.
Honestly, I am not yet sure about Windows 8. Isn't it still in "Release Candidate" avatar?

Back