1. CPU - i3 540
  2. Motherboard - Asus P7H55-M
  3. No GPU
  4. RAM - Kingston 1*2GB DDR3
  5. Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster B2230
  6. SMPS - VIP 400R
  7. HDD - Seagate SV35.5 500GB

-> Hardware to keep:
Well basically anything I can make use of. Preferably the CPU, motherboard, monitor & HDD​

-> Hardware looking to buy:
You suggest!​

-> Will be upgrading continuously

-> Will buy from - anywhere: Mumbai, Online or from any TE Dealer

->Second-hand h/w from TE market: Yes, but would need advice

-> Intended use
  1. Gaming
  2. Browsing
  3. Desktop applications
  4. HD Movies (3D wud be awesome!
    <
    )

-> No specific brand preference or dislike

-> Games that I would play
  1. Skyrim
  2. Fifa 12
  3. Civilization V
  4. Lord of the Ring series
  5. Anno 1404

-> Looking to overclock: Yes

-> Operating System looking to use: Windows 7

I hope this gives you a fair point of view. BTW newbie here, so go easy!
<

Thanks.

CPU-Intel i3 2100-6.2

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Ram-Corsair XMS3 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.6k

GPU-sapphire hd6770-6.5k OR Sapphire 6670-5.6k

PSU-Corsair cx430v2-2.2k

Case-Nzxt Gamma-2.1k

Keep your HDD+Monitor and sell off the rest,You won't be able to oc this rig but it'll give you good performance.

Hope this helps
<

If you sell the stuff which i mentioned before buying the new rig then by adding 5-6k you can get i5 2320-10.5k instead of getting i3 2100 and you can also upgrade the gpu to HD6850-9.7k

Why not go with i5 760 lynnfield . It's definately overclockable and powerful enough for 10k (you won't need to change mobo) .

Will leave you with 10k more to go with HD6850/70 .

no point update to new right cause your already have i3

i suggest if u want to play games u need to buy 6950 or nvidia 560 ti plus psu 500 or 600 watt corsair or fsp or seasonic which it cost around 20k at your budget

I havent looked at the benchmarks of the stuff you guys have suggested, but in my view, the lesser the replacements are the better it is. That is why only adding a new GPU and a PSU which are compatible makes sense for me. I can always upgrade my processor and mobo gradually, so 3-4 months down the line I have really good system. What do you guys think?

So right now, this is the config I am looking for (thanks Arun, Jakob, GameR1120):

1. CPU- Core i3 540

2. Mobo- [font=arial, sans-serif]Asus P7H55-M[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]3. GPU- Nvidia 560 ti (around 15K)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]4. PSU - Corsair 600 watt[/font]? (around 4K ?)

[font=arial, sans-serif]5. RAM - 1*2GB Kingston [/font]

Planning to spend the extra money left on possibly RAM? I have one more question, again it may sound noobish, but will my existing cpu/mobo prove as a bottleneck for the new GPU?

Well if you're planning only to upgrade psu+gpu then i'd advise you to wait for AMD HD78XX series to release,i'd give you better gpu than what it is you're getting now in 15k.

For psu you'd go for Seasonic s12i 620W-4.5k OR Corsair TX650V2-5.2k it'd be enough for everything.
I havent looked at the benchmarks of the stuff you guys have suggested, but in my view, the lesser the replacements are the better it is. That is why only adding a new GPU and a PSU which are compatible makes sense for me. I can always upgrade my processor and mobo gradually, so 3-4 months down the line I have really good system. What do you guys think?

So right now, this is the config I am looking for (thanks Arun, Jakob, GameR1120):

1. CPU- Core i3 540

2. Mobo- [font=arial, sans-serif]Asus P7H55-M[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]3. GPU- Nvidia 560 ti (around 15K)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]4. PSU - Corsair 600 watt[/font]? (around 4K ?)

[font=arial, sans-serif]5. RAM - 1*2GB Kingston [/font]

Planning to spend the extra money left on possibly RAM? I have one more question, again it may sound noobish, but will my existing cpu/mobo prove as a bottleneck for the new GPU?

Well if you're planning only to upgrade psu+gpu then i'd advise you to wait for AMD HD78XX series to release,i'd give you better gpu than what it is you're getting now in 15k.

How long for the HD78xx? I cant wait to lay my hands on whatever GPU and start with those games!
<

How long for the HD78xx? I cant wait to lay my hands on whatever GPU and start with those games!
<

Sire whatever happens, your CPU is going to be a major bottle-neck -- you can buy a GTX 560Ti OR HD 6950 2GB but your CPU [which I doubt is capable of over-clocking] will be unable to keep pace with these cards forget getting a HD 78** series GPU.

I would recommend you go for the new HD 7770 GHz edition once it reaches India, should initially retail ~11500/- and power your setup with a Seasonic S12II 520W ~3500/-.

Later down the line upgrade to Sandy / Ivy Bridge class processors and then you'll be set. It'll be better if you save up a little more and go for a complete upgrade CPU + GPU + SMPS rather than doing it piecemeal.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

^ the 6870 is better than 7770 so pls read the full benchmark review so no point spend on 7770 serial

i recommend u should update Nvidia 560 TI or 6950 or second hand 580 gtx for 23k plus psu 4k
<

#Arun.P true on that count, but it'll be much more balanced if OP gets a better CPU to drive his RIG before zeroing in on a GTX 580 and power consumption.

A good cpu is always required for utilizing full power of a gpu so waiting for the ivy bridge is a good idea at that time the prices of sandy bridge will also drop & the ati 7xxx series gpu will be available too
<

#Arun.P true on that count, but it'll be much more balanced if OP gets a better CPU to drive his RIG before zeroing in on a GTX 580 and power consumption.

btw the 580 gtx has lot of fps rate so u don't have to worried about power consumer cause, if he decide what choice he need, that why i suggest to buy gpu which is most important to play all games which can work at high setting around 40-70 fps will be enough at his cpu i3
<

btw the 580 gtx has lot of fps rate so u don't have to worried about power consumer cause, if he decide what choice he need, that why i suggest to buy gpu which is most important to play all games which can work at high setting around 40-70 fps will be enough at his cpu i3
<

Arun, but isn't it true that fps depends both on the GPU and the CPU? There is no point in buying a GPU which has to wait for the CPU to finish its calculations. I could be wrong here, though. Please correct me if that is the case.

check the cpu chart

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=288

all the games can run around 40-70 fps smooth no lag and no issue no bottleneck at any games

if u want more than 100-120 fps so while playing the games it will play ultra faster cause of investment for buying new cpu that might be waste of money, so i suggest an powerful gpu and good psu should be balance for i3 depend your can update sandy bridge soon if goes cheaper soon

Can't agree more Arun !

GPU you mentioned is more than capable of producing 40-70 fps and 100-120 is not even required for enjoying gaming .

Look at it this way ,

if he buys a new cpu and cheap out on gpu , he is kinda stuck at same performance levels and cannot get more unless he purchases new cpu+gpu again .

But if he already has a higher end gpu and a good proccessor (yes it's good , beats i7 920 clock for clock in gaming) . He can always save for a good IB proccessor and his money is saved for now .

Now yes , if he had something like a mid end c2d (like I have) , upgrading to proccessor would have been necessary .

Stay with current proccy and save for ib . Get HD6950(faster than ~5%) or nvidia gtx560ti + TX650 + 2gb 1333 mhz ram and get going for gaming ! If you can extend your budget , get GTX570

Thanks all, thats decided then, I shall go for a fairly high-end GPU, PSU and 4GB more DDR3 RAM.

The list of GPU's to select from :

1. GTX 560 Ti ~15K

2. HD 6950 ~16.5

3. GTX 570 ~23K (way above my budget)

4. HD 6870 ~ 13.5K

5. HD 7770 ~11.5K

6. wait for HD 78xx ?

What say ppl? My inclination atm is with 560 ti or hd 6950.. any popular site for buying these online? I was checking on itwares, any other one?

btw I was reading up on 3D gaming meanwhile and I was absolutely blown away just by reading the reviews..
<
Anyways, my aim in the distant future would be to build a rig for 3D gaming
<

I'd say wait for few months and get HD7870 or HD7850,it'll be better,and for psu Seasonic s12ii 620W-4.6k or Corsair TX650V2-5.3k is what you should get,For 3d gaming you'll need 3d ready120hz monitor.

Well it's upto you,I hope you won't feel sad about getting HD6950 if HD7850 or HD7870 perform better than that at same price.

Back