Upgraditis of Shutterbug...

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
After a lot of contemplating between D300 and D90... I finally decided to go for D90, as there wasn't big difference in Picture Quality between the two. Plus, performance at high-ISO was tad better on D90. It also made more sense to save some money and invest in better lenses in future. Anyway, as the tradition goes in this part of forum... let the pictures talk. :)

Well the box says kit... but I didn't want the lens, so I bought only body with remaining accessories... no Lens.

Here it is... D300's smaller brother.

The construction is solid as any other Nikon DSLR... and the ergonomics and handling are just perfect as expected from Nikon.

Shutter release button is chrome plated unlike the dark black one on my D70s... and the on-off switch has third option now, for info-LCD back-lighting. Metering and Exposure Compensation buttons are in the same old position, while AF controls and Servo modes are now moved next to info-LCD. The AF assist lamp is larger and power powerful than my D70s. Both primary and secondary command dials are same old familiar positions and very natural to access.

Back panel controls are slightly changed. Now zoom functions for viewing pictures are incorporated in the last two buttons, with calendar support along with thumbnails rows. Zoon-in button doubles as Quality selection when not in playback mode and Zoom-out works for ISO selection. Help/Protect button doubles as White Balance selection. Delete button has been moved to top, on left of viewfinder, while Exposure Lock switch is in familiar position, on right to viewfinder. On top of D-pad you have Live-View button and enter/ok button is now shifted on D-Pad... which I think is the good and more natural place for it. Focus Lock is now a liver, compared to slider on my D70s, and it's harder to accidentally hit and lock it, which sometimes used to happen on my D70s, so I like this change. Below Focus Lock lever, there is info display button, which shows you similar output from info-LCD on top, which is nice for quick review. It also let you change few settings quickly without having to go digging in menu.

The display on D90 is just drop-dead gorgeous. A nice 3-inch super-density 920,000-dot color LCD monitor has viewing angles of 170-degree. The images look just nice, and the zoom levels are way higher than my D70s, which has I think 3-zoom levels. On D90, Just like on the D3 and D300 there are eight zoom levels, on the high resolution screen the last two go beyond 1:1 and provide an enlarged pixelated view.

Info-LCD back-lighting... the back-light implementation is similar to D70s, but the light is bright and more evenly spread.

Preset command dial.

Bracketing button is moved to front, between lens release button and flash button... those who use heavy bracketing, this might not be ideal location, as it would take some time getting used to the new location. But despite new location, it's very easily accessible and doesn't feel out of place, or hard to use at all. The flash control button is in same old position, maybe slightly lower.

Built-in pop-up Flash... it's slightly higher compared to my D70s, which is good as it will reduce lens shadow when using slightly longer than average lens. It's also more powerful compared to my D70s (17m range as against 15m on D70s). Not that I care, as I usually prefer not to use flash.

Damages

47,000 for body-only.

+ 950 for 8GB Sandisk SDHC card.

Overall, I'm loving it... the infamous movie mode is quite nice, but hardly useful, since no auto-focus. The quality of the video is pretty good, it records at 720p. It's more of feature/marketing gimmick, though it doesn't matter much to me as I didn't buy this to shoot movies anyway. :p

Also, getting a Tokina AT-X 11-16mm f/2.8 lens soon... and 16GB Sandisk Ultra-II SDHC card.

Then the next target is Sigma APO 150-500mm telephoto lens. :eek:hyeah:

Totally awesome camera... wish I had the cash to buy a DSLR even a D40 or A200 would do for me :p....

And how did u get it for 47k... I see prices at around 54k for body only :huh:

PS : The pics of the camera are great .... just like ur lens pictures before (18-200 and 50mm) which u got on ur birthday....

@Rahulrulz: Sample shots coming soon, need to get some time out of work. :)

@Bikey: When I put this lens, yes.. it's going to actually look like bazooka. :p

sigma-apo-150-500mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm.743199.jpg

@Kneo:

Nikon D40/x (if it's available) or Nikon D60, with 18-55 VR lens for approx 35K (under 30k in gray market probably).

Cannon 1000D with 18-55 IS lens for approx 30k (probably even lower in gray market).

Wow ,how did I miss this one ? congrats iGo.next time at the meet I have something better to play around with me :p. hehehe.

post some samples ,you hardly post in photography thread .

@Fah33m: Talk about late replies. :)

As for samples, I have taken some shots but still haven't gotten around dumping them on my drive. Will post some shot by weekend.

Back