PC Peripherals UPS gone or is it the battery

Decius

Adept
Hi All
I have a Microtek 600VA UPS which is 5 yrs old now. Now it has developed problems, till yesterday it was providing backup but since today its backup has gone, irrespective of how much i charged it. Now the moment mains supply is cut, off goes the UPS with a continuous long beep, providing no backup at all. What could be the issue, is it the battery or the UPS?

If the problem developed suddenly as u mentioned, the problem might most probably be with the UPS (i.e if it was working fine till yesterday and today suddenly it's not working).

However 5 yrs is a pretty long period for a battery, so it must be on it's last legs anyway.

i guess it should be the battery since your problem starts only when it switches to back up mode... replace the battery and you should be good to go...

but continuous long beep check the website for the product specs to determine what the problem could be....

I think the fuse may have shorted out and needs to be changed. There should be a back up fuse cello taped on the back of the case, and a small red screw type thing that can be detached, which contains the current fuse. Change the fuse, and you should be ready to go...I had a microtek 800kva ups, and if I remember correctly, I had the exact same problem once. If the fuse isn't there, just take it to the service center, or local repair guy, and get it looked at.

i think its the battery, time to change it mate.
I faced similar problem few months backs, changed the battery now its working fine.

iamddevil said:
I think the fuse may have shorted out and needs to be changed. There should be a back up fuse cello taped on the back of the case, and a small red screw type thing that can be detached, which contains the current fuse. Change the fuse, and you should be ready to go...I had a microtek 800kva ups, and if I remember correctly, I had the exact same problem once. If the fuse isn't there, just take it to the service center, or local repair guy, and get it looked at.

I changed the fuse, that did not help. The UPS works fine when mains power is on, it fails only when it gets to the backup mode.
Thanks for the quick response everyone. :)

I checked out the manual of the UPS. The long beep happens because of two reasons, first is overload, second is no charge in Battery. I disconnected all the load from UPS but it was still the same, continuous long beep. So it probably seems like a battery issue only.
What battery should I get as replacement? or should I get the UPS checked before replacing the battery?

@Decius, better check the battery first, it's easier. Just take it to a battery shop and ask them to check if it has charge. If it doesnt have, try charging for a few mins. If it is still dead, then definitely go ahead and buy a new one (shud cost arnd 600 rupees).

UPS could show dead battery even if the battery charging circuit is faulty etc.

Which battery...hmm...I replaced by 2 UPS batteries with exide. They are going pretty strong.

It's battery IMO .. even i faced similar problem some days back for my 4 year old ups... Replacing battery would most probably solve it.

buy good batteries and avoid local makes such as relicell,su-kam,amco,speed and so on.Battaeries from CSB,Panasonic,Quanta (amaron) are the best batteries !!!

Back