PC Peripherals UPS - Need some info pl

Spectre

Skilled
Hi Folks,

I have an Iball Nirantar UPS,which was working flawlessly for 2 years now.

Now for last 15-20 days, our area is having some voltage drops, most times in a day.

All 3 phases comes to only 190-200V.

During this time, if power goes down, UPS shuts down the PC within 2-3 seconds,rather than running in battery mode.

My Q is does UPS boost the incoming voltage to some extent (like a stabilizer does)

Does a APC UPS does that. I don't mind buying a new UPS, but want to make sure if this will solve the problem

Also note: slight screeching sound comes from cabinet, i think its also relate to this voltage drop. Anyone else facing similar issue

8800GTS, AMD X2 4000+, CM 600W

Thanks for your replies.

In a perfect world your UPS should have run the computer on battery. Instead of investing in a UPS, you should try getting a stabilizer and connect your UPS to that. MAybe you can barrow one.. like frm the fridge :p for testing

My Q is does UPS boost the incoming voltage to some extent (like a stabilizer does)

Does a APC UPS does that. I don't mind buying a new UPS, but want to make sure if this will solve the problem

Yes it does. It does boost the voltage if its above a certain threshold. You can even set that voltage using the APC powerchute software that is bundled with the UPS (not available for the 500va series though)

Thanks Guys for your replies

countrock said:
In a perfect world your UPS should have run the computer on battery. Instead of investing in a UPS, you should try getting a stabilizer and connect your UPS to that. MAybe you can barrow one.. like frm the fridge :p for testing

I don't need a backup time becuase I have very less power cuts. So, Can i use a PC with Stabilizer rather than UPS. Does Stabilizer do a better job in giving correct voltage than UPS. Then i could get a stabilizer.

Any specs on Voltage Stablizer to select. My PC has 600W SMPS

Checksum said:
Yes it does. It does boost the voltage if its above a certain threshold. You can even set that voltage using the APC powerchute software that is bundled with the UPS (not available for the 500va series though)

Thats nice. Does 500VA also have voltage regulations (is it missing only the software, which i could download)

Does 650 and 500VA differ only in amount of backup time

my PC runs with 600W SMPS. Which model is better

Noob Q: Does 650VA take more current (higher Electricity bill) than 500VA :S

pcgamer said:
Thats nice. Does 500VA also have voltage regulations (is it missing only the software, which i could download)
Does 650 and 500VA differ only in amount of backup time
my PC runs with 600W SMPS. Which model is better

Noob Q: Does 650VA take more current (higher Electricity bill) than 500VA :S
I am not sure if the no 650,500 denotes any thing related to power rating. I guess they are just model no.
I have a apc es 650. It has one month replacement(with brand new one) and 2 year(with refurbished unit) on site warranty. The one i brought, died after one month and one week usage. Now running on a refurbished one.

There is another TVS one running my parents computer. Its been doing the job for about 4 years now with out missing a beat. Not sure if they are still making ups.

well the apc ups like 600va ,500va which i have doesnt regulate the voltage if its the voltage is 240v its still gives 240v which i checked it in a multi meter:mad: .but what it does is when the voltage goes around 260 its reverts to battery back up.

For protection against Voltage Fluctuations like sags, surges and impulses what is better.

a UPS or Stabilzer?

Also, APC 650va costs around 3300 here.

are there any cheaper alternatives.

I don't mind if backup it less.

[edit]

some information i found googling

Safeguarding/Protecting Computer and its peripherals from Voltage fluctuations and short circuiting

Protect your gear: can you cost-justify a UPS? - uninterruptible power supply | Communications News | Find Articles at BNET.com

Voltage Fluctuations Can Be More Problematic Than Blackouts

UPS and voltage fluctuations - LMPForum

I am looking at SYSCOM. This is a very reputed brand of stabilizers ( infact most of my home appliances run with this, for years)

Welcome To Syscom Electronics!

Could anyone suggest which model to select. I think the 500VA one would be good enough for a high end PC.

my main concern is low voltage/high voltage rather than backup time

Back