PC Peripherals UPS - which; how; what vs inverter

sunandoghosh

Disciple
UPS - which; how; what vs inverter

Respected knowledgeable members and dear friends...

I have been lately thinking of buying a UPS fro my pc as there are many times sudden power cut leading to improper shut down...and last few days its more frequent...

I have absolutely no idea as to which company's UPS in India (me from Kolkata) is best;

CAN anyone plz advice which company's UPS are best and how much time it gives once power cut is there....????????

ALSO will going for an invereter (instead of UPS) would be a good idea considering the fact that inverter would be able to also give some extra benefit of light; fan etc.. ?????????

Any advice / suggestion / practical experience /what u do ...???????

THANKS

CHEERS

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

Ive no idea about an inverter but you can get a APC ups 500va for around 2500 approx.

Its give 15 mins of back up time.

i think inverters are used for the whole house....and their switching speed is low...by that time, the comp wud have turned off.....

Yep. The inverters can't be used for computing purposes. That's the reason why UPS have been invented. The UPS can switch the power supply from the line to the battery within a fraction of a second. Whereas, the invertor takes nearly 4-5 seconds.
And that much time is too much for a PC to remain on.

In a nutshell, even though you own/plan to own an inverter, u'll have to get an UPS.

Also, APC UPS's are the best out of the lot.
Their after-sales service is highly reliable. Masky can vouch for that. ;)

As they said APC is the best of the lot.
Well you connect the comp to UPS and the UPS to inverter if you have serious powercut probs.

Whereas, the invertor takes nearly 4-5 seconds.
Really, by that time all the fans and tubelight and the TV in my home should switch off then.

They may not take 4-5 secs as headshot said.... but the time they take to become operational is too long for a computer......

A UPS can be activated within a fraction of a second.... when an inverter comes into play, you can see the lights, fans, etc.... flicker....

But a UPS does not have as much power as an inverter..... so, best to use a UPS for your PC and an inverter for the whole house.....

If you intend to use linux then APC is the only option. APC ups have a PC interface unlike the low priced ones, my APC ups works just as fine under linux(apcupsd) as under windows.
If you use windows exclusively you may buy either SmartPower 1kva (sine curve output) or Powerware(with 1 to 4 baterries).
My APC ups malfanctioned within six weeks of purchase and it has been replaced twice in the first 6 months. Avoid the basic Rs. 2500 model if you can. Not much to worry about this though. APC service is the best in India-- they replaced my unit the same day I filed complaint in Bangalore, that too a home ups model!

Hacker said:
Ive no idea about an inverter but you can get a APC ups 500va for around 2500 approx.

Its give 15 mins of back up time.

15 mins back up with 500VA UPS ..... forgot that i have a 800VA APC with dual battery and it gives me max 10 mins backup with moniter switched on ..... with moniter switched of it gives around 25mins ....... anyways if u have a 17inch moniter 500VA will give max of 5 mins backup ....

Last year in October I bought a APC BackUPS RS 800 for 5.5k at that time I did some checking around and the UPS which was the one to buy was the APC Smart-UPS 750 - but it was not released into the market at that time - if it is available check it out. It costs a bit more than the BackUPS - not sure about the difference in price.

I used a APC BackUPS Pro 650 earlier and this one would cold start my system but my new RS 800 does not do a cold start with the same setup.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA750I

Renegade said:
As they said APC is the best of the lot.
Well you connect the comp to UPS and the UPS to inverter if you have serious powercut probs.
Really, by that time all the fans and tubelight and the TV in my home should switch off then.

if i am not mistaken you should not put a ups inline with an inverter ( i mean inverter giving power to main supply and ups deriving power from it). i am having inverter for whole hospital power backup.

you may ruin the bettery of ups.

i was told to remove my ups from my operation theatre for my operating microscope as the engineer from my instrument company advised me against.

so keep this in mind.

APC / Numeric / Wipro are good brands in india.

this thread is also helpfull to you.
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31641#post31641

Back