Budget 10-15K Urgent!! Help needed to choose a good mid-range phone.

al.padrino

Recruit
Want to buy a phone asap, need help from you guys!

Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: Around 15k, might add 2-3k if need be.

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: IPS

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Dislike non-reputed brands like mmx, xolo etc. due to durability and service issues.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: A 5MP camera should be enough.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, WiFi.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Internet, Gaming, Music, calling.

10. Any other requirements?
A: Support for high-end games and top sound quality for music needs

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Xperia L, Galaxy s advance, Nexus 4, LG l9, Pantech burst or flex, galaxy grand(hated the display).

Just worried about galaxy s advance w.r.t future updates and don't want to go for LG or sony for the same reason(buggy, slow updates) so i will much appreciate some help regarding future updates on s advance as it seems to be a great vfm phone and i prefer samsung over the other brands because of apps and updates. Another thing is internal memory, this will be my first smartphone and i'm not sure about requirements of high-end gaming, lot of phones out there with ~4gb internal memory but i think that might not be enough for some games ? Please guide me about this.

One last thing. How are Motorola and lenovo w.r.t after sales and updates etc. as these two seem to have some decent sets as well ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Honestly i believe only nexus 4 will be sufficient for high end gaming.Xperia L and flex may just be borderline sufficient i think but even then wont remain for long time.Nexus 4 is more future proof,first one to get the updates and no bloatware.But isnt that too much out of your budget??8gb is around 21-22k n 16gb is 23-24k.8 gb wont be enough as usable is only around 5.3 GB and high end games are 1.5-2GB usually.
And about those high end games,most of their storage is done on sd card.You have to download those game files separately.Installed files are only 10MB or so.
As per my knowledge,motorola has stopped its business in India.I may be wrong.

Honestly i believe only nexus 4 will be sufficient for high end gaming.Xperia L and flex may just be borderline sufficient i think but even then wont remain for long time.Nexus 4 is more future proof,first one to get the updates and no bloatware.But isnt that too much out of your budget??8gb is around 21-22k n 16gb is 23-24k.8 gb wont be enough as usable is only around 5.3 GB and high end games are 1.5-2GB usually.
And about those high end games,most of their storage is done on sd card.You have to download those game files separately.Installed files are only 10MB or so.
As per my knowledge,motorola has stopped its business in India.I may be wrong.

Thanx mate, yep above 20k is out of my budget otherwise would have gone for nexus 4 but i need to buy the phone asap and so have to work with the 15k + some that i have right now. Any info about high-end games is news to me, know very little about gaming in phones! So lets say i store the games in the SD card, does the performance of the game depend on internal memory available in any way? Or does it just depend on the ram, GPU and processor ? On bloatware, is there a way to get rid of bloatware on phones other than nexus 4 like xperia L and s advance ?

All those big games have files separately that are not to be installed but ,manually placed in memory of the phone-maybe external or internal depending on phone.Performance will depend on ram,GPU and processor.To get rid of bloatware,you have to root your phone,uninstall those apps or/and install a custom rom.Personally i hate the s advance screen resolution.It is a pentile amoled screen.So actual pixel density is less than what appears on papers.

All those big games have files separately that are not to be installed but ,manually placed in memory of the phone-maybe external or internal depending on phone.Performance will depend on ram,GPU and processor.To get rid of bloatware,you have to root your phone,uninstall those apps or/and install a custom rom.Personally i hate the s advance screen resolution.It is a pentile amoled screen.So actual pixel density is less than what appears on papers.

Thanks a lot for the info, very helpful. So i think it would be ok to buy a phone with even 4gb internal memory and get a good SD card to store games etc? 4gb should be sufficient enough to run all the apps etc right ? And I agree on s advance's display, i felt it's alright but nothing great, AMOLED plus would have been better. Grand's display's even worse i felt. Btw, is the warranty of a phone valid after rooting it ? Because i'll definitely be rooting the phone when i buy one.

Came across some reviews of s advance where people were reporting some network problem and connectivity issues ? Did that problem got solved through the stock jellybean update ?

Also, was checking out dev support, S advance's dev support isn't that great either. Wanted to know about other phones under 20k that have really good dev support! Thanx again!

Thanks a lot for the info, very helpful. So i think it would be ok to buy a phone with even 4gb internal memory and get a good SD card to store games etc? 4gb should be sufficient enough to run all the apps etc right ? And I agree on s advance's display, i felt it's alright but nothing great, AMOLED plus would have been better. Grand's display's even worse i felt. Btw, is the warranty of a phone valid after rooting it ? Because i'll definitely be rooting the phone when i buy one.

Came across some reviews of s advance where people were reporting some network problem and connectivity issues ? Did that problem got solved through the stock jellybean update ?

Also, was checking out dev support, S advance's dev support isn't that great either. Wanted to know about other phones under 20k that have really good dev support! Thanx again!
4Gb would be enough i suppose with expandable memory given that you dont install 100's of apps.Important thing to note is that how much user available memory is there.jellybean takes quite a bit of space.2-3 GB so check that carefully.To be on the safe side,try to get at least 8GB.

Rooting would definitely void your warranty.Though if you install the stock rom back,it may escape the eyes of service center.
I have no idea about the issues with s advance.
Sony phones generally have good dev support.Also,S2 has amazing support.Samsung devices with exynos chipset generally have bad support.
Honestly i am not too sure if under 20k phones can perform at high end games.Maybe look for a used set??S3??(though not that good dev support due to exynos chipset).Why dont you buy through EMI's??Then you could increase your budget a bit maybe.

Thanks a lot guys, really helped me make my decision, going to buy Xperia L, qualcomm's going to have a decent dev support i think and it suits all my needs as well, would have gone for nexus 4 but no SD card slot makes it a no go for me. Has anyone bought the xperia L here? Can anyone guide me where to get ebay coupons ? :)

Thanks a lot guys, really helped me make my decision, going to buy Xperia L, qualcomm's going to have a decent dev support i think and it suits all my needs as well, would have gone for nexus 4 but no SD card slot makes it a no go for me. Has anyone bought the xperia L here? Can anyone guide me where to get ebay coupons ? :)
I got an xperia P for 15k in the grey market (Alfa, Mumbai). Seemed good value for money :)

I got an xperia P for 15k in the grey market (Alfa, Mumbai). Seemed good value for money :)
Was for a short time in Mumbai.. Anyway official is out for pre order from flipkart. Official warranty from LG.

That's a good deal for Xperia P! Last i checked it was available for about the same price, under 15k on ebay and seller seemed trustable too. My problem with Xperia P as well as Nexus phones is the absence of memory card slot.

Ultimately decided against Xperia L because it has the qualcomm 400 chipset, which doesn't convince me as far as the future goes because qualcomm really seems to have big plans this year and also in the near future. So decided to wait ultimately and as of now im looking to get Xperia SP and trying to find a good deal for it!

Bought Xperia SP earlier for 21k from HS18, comes with a free premium case and im really really happy with the phone. Camera reviews that i read earlier weren't so good but im quite impressed with the cam, you just have to get some settings right and the quality's pretty good. Great vfm phone. :happy:

Back