Urgent help needed!!!

hello all,

my xp has started acting weird all of a sudden. It has got itself into a restart loop!!! the windows xp loading screen comes and before desktop can come on, it restarts!

i can see no direct cause... out of the blue this has happened!

all my data is on the pc, my exams begin on monday.. i need a way to solve this.

obvious seems re-install windows and format system drive... should i go ahead with that or any other suggestions?

Nope dont go formatting. When your POST is complete while the system boots press F8 key on the keyboard. You will get a boot menu with options like "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking" etc. In the menu select the option that says "Last Known Good Configuration".

It should boot fine. If not let us know what you did to the system that it went into this state.

tush said:
Nope dont go formatting. When your POST is complete while the system boots press F8 key on the keyboard. You will get a boot menu with options like "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking" etc. In the menu select the option that says "Last Known Good Configuration".

It should boot fine. If not let us know what you did to the system that it went into this state.
hmm... the boot menu options automatically appears. I tried all combos. it just refuses to enter safe mode! if i choose safe mode, it launches into a a loooong string of incomprehensible text (which i'm assuming is normal) and then restarts. :S

No, i didn't do anything to provoke this. I just started the comp one fine day and this happened. that is not to say that i wasn't using it, or i shut down improperly, or anything like that. regular use only.

I shall try cleaning ram and update u...
Oh btw, new issue. when i tried starting the comp today, it failed to recognise my primary sata, i.e on which my OS is loaded. :S

I'll check connections and report back...

Meanwhile, any insights???

in ur case, try changing the sata port . Sometimes problesm with the sata port /hdd /cable also might cause such restarts...

check it

Okay now once you get your HDD to detect go in the same boot menu and there will be an option called something like "Disable automatic restart on system...."

Select this option and your system will not reboot and give you the actual reason whats wrong. For Eg. A blue screen with errors like Stop 0x0000007B etc.

Back