Urgent Help: Step down converter for yamaha v863 required - New Delhi

rockstar1630

Disciple
I need a good quality 220v - 110 v convertor that can handle my yamaha v 863(US Model). Please let me know the prices, contact details in New Delhi.

Re: Urgent Help:Step down converter for yamaha v863 required - New Delhi

If you can get hold of Maxine Step down transformers it would be good. You need atleast 1.5KVA and it cost around 3-4K.

Out here in Chennai Maxine are the best. Not only that in chennai where ever you go and ask for step down transformers they give the Maxine stuff.... They are very reliable. Try out for that. Not sure where you are in India. Just check it out.

You should be able to get something in New Delhi but I kind of agree with the above post too. I have seen people vouch for their products.

Try and see if you can contact them direct SHAH ELECTRONICS

You should be able to get something in New Delhi but I kind of agree with the above post too. I have seen people vouch for their products.

Try and see if you can contact them direct SHAH ELECTRONICS

kishore.chander said:
If you can get hold of Maxine Step down transformers it would be good. You need atleast 1.5KVA and it cost around 3-4K.

1.5kVA? Isn't that a bit too high considering OP is using one for an AVR? Btw what exactly determines the power rating of such transformers? The type of application?

Gannu said:
1.5kVA? Isn't that a bit too high considering OP is using one for an AVR? Btw what exactly determines the power rating of such transformers? The type of application?

Yeah its the power consumption of the equipment. For the yamaha V863 its power consumption is just 400 watts. For this normally a 1 KVA stepdown would do. However since this is a audio equipment it would be better to connect it to a higher rating since the low frequency sounds would consume a lot of power.

My thought behind is, its always better to have this connected to a higher capacity transformer which could handle a lot of load rather than going in for a 1 kva which would supply a maximum of 660 watts.

If the power cable for the Yamaha V863 says 110 Volt at 5 amps it means it would consume atleat 550watts of power and 1 kva would be just meeting its demands.

will a 500w transformer suffice for the 400w yamaha(as rated by them)? Amarbir has suggested 500w (pure) will be fine and there will be no problem.

rockstar1630 said:
will a 500w transformer suffice for the 400w yamaha(as rated by them)? Amarbir has suggested 500w (pure) will be fine and there will be no problem.

technically speaking it is enough, but considering that yamaha has so much of options and for your future upgrade ability its better to go atleast for a 1KVA transformer.

I called up Shah Electronics (Maxine Transformers) .75 KVA(750 watts transformer) cost Rs1650 & Rs100 for courier & Rs 100 VAT.

1KVA(1000 watts transformer) Cost Rs 2350 & Rs100 for courier & Rs 100 VAT. They stated they have a dealer there in delhi through whom you can deposit the money and get the product in 3 days.

He said for 400 watts equipment you always have to go for + 20 % rated transformer.

Just let me know if you need anything else from Maxineindia guys.

disclaimer: i do not have any relationship with Maxineindia(shah electronics) just thought that i could provide a helping hand to our TE member.

Thanks Kishore for the great help. I had a talk with Maxine people. They have said that they can courier a transformer by Monday. was unable to decide the correct wattage. Currently I was in chandigarh and had spoken to Amarbir, he has a 500w transformer handy. That's I why I wanted a clear understanding about the same.

^Does Amarbir actually have it in person and does he need to do a B2B order? Ensure that before committing to the deal. Besides, as Kishore's suggested, go for a slightly higher capacity to be on the safer side which would take into account the efficiency of the transformer and any accounted power losses due to heat and misc. factors.

Besides, does Amarbir have just the step-down transformer or the entire kit? Or will you be making one from the components?

The make's an important factor - seems like Maxine makes some good quality transformers since many seems to vouch for it. Inferior ones tend to have lower efficiency and can damage the AVR after a period of usage.

I suggest you go with the Maxine make although it's expensive. it might have warranty as well. Call them up and enquire.

GENERAL

•Power Supply

[U.S.A. and Canada models] .............................. AC 120 V, 60 Hz

[General model]

....................................... AC 110/120/220/230–240 V, 50/60 Hz

[Asia model]

...................................................... AC 220/230–240 V, 50/60 Hz

[China model] .................................................... AC 220 V, 50 Hz

[Korea model] .................................................... AC 220 V, 60 Hz

[Australia model] ............................................... AC 240 V, 50 Hz

[U.K., Europe, and Russia models] .................... AC 230 V, 50 Hz

•Power Consumption

[U.S.A. and Canada models] ................................. 400 W/500 VA

[Other models] ................................................................... 440 W

•Standby Power Consumption

[U.S.A. and Canada models] .................................... 0.8 W or less

[Other models] ......................................................... 0.1 W or less

•Maximum Power Consumption [General model only]

6ch, 10% THD ................................................................... 850 W

•AC Outlets

[U.S.A., Canada, and China models]

.......................................................... 2 (Total 100 W maximum)

[Asia, General, Europe, and Russia models]

............................................................ 2 (Total 50 W maximum)

[Australia and U.K. models] ........................ 1 (100 W maximum)

•Dimensions (W x H x D) ................................ 435 x 171 x 393 mm

(17-1/8 x 6-3/4 x 15-1/2 in)

•Weight ............................................................. 11.9 kg (26 lbs 4 oz)

For general model, power is rated at 850w. For US model. 400w. I don't understand.

The rate suggested above by Maxine is for complete setup.

Even the US model has a rated power output of 750 watts. The 850 watts that you are suggesting is the rated output power of the Yamaha amp. However the power consumption remains the same at 400 watts

Its better you go for the 0.75 KVA step down transformer kit, Be it from Ambir or Maxine. Ask Ambir if he can provide a .75KVA transformer. Do not go for the 500 watts one. It would be worth waiting to get a good stuff rather than going in for a stuff which just meets the demands.

Thanks Kishore for the great help. Just came back after purchasing a 1000 watt transformer from Amarbir. Thanks to Amarbir for all the great help he provided as I was in chandigarh for today. Tech Enclave rocks!

Back