Urgent: Modem & Router (Separate or Combo) + DDWRT

My friend needs:
1) Modem for BSNL &
2) Router for wifi & downloading (DDWRT)

Is there any modem + router available which can be configured for DDWRT?
If not, please suggest separate modem + router

Budget: 4k

What sort of applications will the wifi be used for. Range requirement ?

ddwrt does not work on modem+router, just router.

Why does he need ddwrt in the first place ?

1) what sort of apps will mobile/laptop be running. What is the max distance from router with number of walls (thickness) in between.
3) he is ok with flashing/configuring dd-wrt in this case ? There is a 65+ pg thread pinned to the top of the board just for this purpose.

1) Basic applications...mainly for basic net surfing n downloading..He was using belkin n150 basic wireless router , not at all satisfied with its range..(now he gave modem & router to his bro)..
He used my router RT N13u for some days, was satisfied with it.
2) I will flash for him

So you have the wifi router, any modem will work provided it can be configured in bridge mode. This is important, a modem that cannot work in bridge mode is not compatible.

Typically this will mean you need to get a adsl modem+router and the router bit becomes redundant. I use a d-link DSL-2520U, other options cheaper than ~Rs.1k exist.

I've have it standing on its side. So its vertical instead of its default horizontal.

It gets little warm but performs reliably with a G.dmt setting. This means no faster than 2Mbs regardless of whether the ISP offers more.

The question is why is your present modem heating up to a point where it affects normal operation.

We never did figure that out in your previous thread.

Back