PC Peripherals Urgent need of all in one printer

Thanks All! I ended up buying this - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B008HDF9NU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 for 8.4k from AMazon. Interestingly, the price has shot up now.
It has only USB connectivity, but I can hook it up with the Pi as suggested above to have a print server setup in the near future

Basically, any printer can be cloud enabled just as long as you have Chrome running and the printer registered with it. The only catch is the printer and the browser must be online - which is something the Pi can take care of. :)

You have two options. Do it yourself or get a ready to use off the shelf device.

From the market - one of the devices I am going to evaluate is HP 226dw. Uses HP88A cartridge, so not much of an issue. Has wireless and wired printing and scanning, minus the cloud printing. Costs about 26K

DIY - Use a RPi. Setup as a print server and SANE backend for scanning. Ensure you have a SANE supported scanner - example of the same is Canon LiDe 110 (being sold by some user on TE) and printer of your choice - I would prefer the HP 1020 or any printer with 12A cartridge.

What is the advantage of choosing a printer which uses HP88A cartridge?

What is the advantage of choosing a printer which uses HP88A cartridge?

The 12A cartridge does about twice the amount of prints you get from a 88A cartridge. Thats the only disadvantage of choosing 88A. The 88A however, is newer and hence most newer printers support it. Thats the advantage.

This opens up more choices from among latest gen printers. Thanks.

Yes. But, remember that the cost of refilling is fixed, irrespective of 88A or 12A - atleast thats what I have seen. So, in the long run, the advantage of using - say HP 1108 vs 1020 will not be worth it.

From where I stand, its better to stick to one cartridge type and get a good refiller to do the job. Plus change the drum/kit and other stuff after 4-6 refills. The cartridge should be changed after 8-12 refills.

Yes. But, remember that the cost of refilling is fixed, irrespective of 88A or 12A - atleast thats what I have seen. So, in the long run, the advantage of using - say HP 1108 vs 1020 will not be worth it.

From where I stand, its better to stick to one cartridge type and get a good refiller to do the job. Plus change the drum/kit and other stuff after 4-6 refills. The cartridge should be changed after 8-12 refills.

Thats sound advice. What do you suggest for color printing at home, something built into a multi function device?

Thats sound advice. What do you suggest for color printing at home, something built into a multi function device?

Less usage - inkjet with refilling. More that that - inkjet with tanks. I dont think you can use laser colour printers without incurring heavy refill charges or expensive printers. This is something I have to check up on.

Brother printers now come with self refillable Ink Tanks built in. Seems to be a good deal. a PSC unit with colour tanks, and Wifi retails for 12k range now.

Back