Urgent : Need to place order for laptop from US

rockinruler

Disciple
Hi,
My cousin wants to get a laptop from the US. And the guy who's bringing needs the model no within a few hours.

Please give me your suggestions.
It will be used mainly for programming and movies.
Priorities are international warranty,low price and battery life.
Budget is MAX 500 USD.
I'm thinking about this one
Dell Vostro v13 Laptop Details | Dell
Does anyone have other suggestions ?

The default configuration does not come with DVD drive. Also the 320 GB HDD will not be enough so if you might need to choose 500 GB one. So the price goes up to $580.

Also considering that you want to do programming 2GB will not be sufficient if you are going to use Visual Studio. So 4 GB RAM will be the way to go. Here the price goes even higher by $150 to $730.

The warranty offered is standard warranty only which I think is limited to US only. Hence I would say opt for another laptop.

^^yup, you can transfer the standard one year warranty from US to india for dell laptops,just dont opt for extended or complete cover warranty as these cant be transferred, Also make sure that the laptop that you buy in US is sold in india as well otherwise the service may be denied even after transfer of warranty due to unavailability of parts.

RS4 said:
^^yup, you can transfer the standard one year warranty from US to india for dell laptops,just dont opt for extended or complete cover warranty as these cant be transferred, Also make sure that the laptop that you buy in US is sold in india as well otherwise the service may be denied even after transfer of warranty due to unavailability of parts.
Is this completely true? I am planning to buy XPS14 from US with 3 year CC and get it transferred to India. The weird thing is that the new XPS 14 is not yet released in India? DO you think they will deny to repair in case of some issue?

^^ Sorry for going OT.

How can you transfer the warranty to India? I have recently purchased Inspiron 15R from US with standard warranty. I wasn't aware that the warranty can be transferred. I am really happy now that :)

^^ Thanks a lot. My friend it bought it for me. So he is the initial owner. Now can I fill the form and put my name as new owner? But what about following paragraph?

Dell is a US corporation, and is therefore subject to all US Export Laws and Regulations. The export of any Dell products or software must be made in accordance with all applicable laws of the United States and local country regulations, including but not limited to, the US Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, and US Export Administration Regulations. This may require that an export license be obtained, or that certain declarations be provided to US or local government regarding the products being exported.

^^So what do you understand from that paragraph?? dont worry about that as you dont need an export/import license to bring one laptop from US to india, i dont know how they change owners name but it can be done as stated by dell,so just fill up the form and submit.

Sorry for hijacking you thread but even I'm planning to get a Lappy from US. My budget is around 850-900$. I want the best possible configuration with international warranty. Since many brands offer a pretty similar pricing in India too, I'm not sure what to buy. I'm thinking to get a Mac or Dell(Inspiron configured) or please suggest.....

OT, what else can be had for a significantly cheaper prices from US ?

aman.pitbull, I'm not really sure. I'm only aware of Laptops, cell phones, apple devices and other comp hardware.

apex, I'm not sure. My friend got a HP laptop last year from there, and they said it was with international warranty, but when he gave it for repairs when a problem came up, they refused saying they didn't have that specific model's parts.

Btw, I got this laptop for 523USD with tax. There was some offer.

Now it is available for 629 USD without tax on the same site.

apextwin146 said:
Does HP offer international Warranty on its laptops?
Yep they do, as long as the same laptop is also sold in the country where u want to claim warranty.

rockinruler said:
aman.pitbull, I'm not really sure. I'm only aware of Laptops, cell phones, apple devices and other comp hardware.

apex, I'm not sure. My friend got a HP laptop last year from there, and they said it was with international warranty, but when he gave it for repairs when a problem came up, they refused saying they didn't have that specific model's parts.

Btw, I got this laptop for 523USD with tax. There was some offer.

Now it is available for 629 USD without tax on the same site.
Thats not too bad a deal. And Acer laptops come with International warranty so you're safe if anything goes wrong here

Back