URGENT: P990i Finalizing Help

Hi Guys

Its been a long long time since i upgraded my cellphone.
Now that the P990i is close to 13K thinking of finalizing it.
Some queries.
1.> Does it support Divx/Xvid + Mp3 encoded AVI files.

2.> Howz the battery life.

3.> howz the sound quality via earphones.

4.> does it support 3.5mm jack earphones , does it have the same

connector like the K750i so i can connect the Walkman earbuds

and so the other 3.5mm earphones.

5.> how the loud speaker

6.> does it have FM

7.> does Wifi support Adhoc mode.

8.> howz the screen contrast ration [visiblity in daylight]

9.> any issues 990i users that have faced which i shud know about.
I dont mind the bluky and i know it has no edge.
Can some one list the imp 3rd party apps for Symbian OS on this phone.
any suggestions and tips on this phone are welcome.
Hope i dint ask a lot of qtns

1.> Yes

2.> Excellent, upgrade to a 1250mH battery if you need it.

3.> Better buy the 3.5mm adapter and plug in quality earbuds. No complaints with my MX550 ;)

4.> Not natively, you need the Rs. 450 SE adapter.

5.> Not the best there is. Difficult to hear in a noisy environment.

6.> Yes

7.> No, needs an access point.

8.> Decent. Watching video in harsh daylight is ruled out.

Well anish answered all of them...earlier i was thinking of upgrading to 1120 mah battery but as it seems, its not at all required..i am getting a good 3 days with the current 950mah battery...just make sure u keep the wifi off when not required..it comes on as default...so 1st day the battery was draining out..but as soon as i disabled it, the backup has gone up by 50%!!

Sound thru earphones is pretty good for me..but some feel it has low volume..

The p990i uses the standard SE Fastport interface for charger/earphones/datacable etc. so u'll have to buy the hpm70+the adapter it comes with to use other headphones. the one coming in the box is pathetic..

loudspeaker sucks big time..:lol:

FM reception is pretty good..better than 6233 i had b4...

the screen is awesome for a 262k res display..ardly will u be able to make a difference with a 16m screen...

Havent faced any issues as of yet...network reception is awesome..again better than my 6233...:)

hope tht helps....:)

btw, whr r u getting it for 13k man?? :O

i bought it for 15k a week back...last i heard was like 13.8k from tech head...but thts the lowest i've heard..:no:

If its really only 13k (with bill??) then I have to consider it as well. Currently Im thinking of getting the I-mate SP5m.

Any specific reason why it doesnt connect to an ad-hoc network? How bulky is it really?

Raghu.

If its really only 13k (with bill??) then I have to consider it as well.

No way...its not even for 13k w/o bill....the lowest rite now is like 13.8-14k tht too w/o bill...;) You need to carry it in a holster..it looks pretty odd in the pockets..like a brick...:lol:

Wow!! I certainly wasnt expecting replies at this hour :) Thanks Masky for the comparison. And Ryan, if its going to require a pouch then its definitely out of my consideration. Im going with the SP5m unless there is something better out there.

Oh and I did see quite a few big shots with the P990i. Guess its quite a status symbol - looking all business like with wifi and touchscreen! And I was really surprised by all the attention it gathers.

Raghu.

Btw, just stumbled upon this news at esato...this(r6d23) is going to be the last firmware upgrade for the p990i...a lot of bugs still remain...but SE is determined to pull off the cable....:no:

Check this link for more info....

SE insider : R6D23 = last P990 firmware ?! : Symbian phones : Sony Ericsson @ Esato

From one of the members....

ever since I bought the P990, ive been getting the feeling that P990 users were beta testers for the upcoming p1 and w960, and trust me, that isnt a very nice feeling

Tht may sound funny but thr seems to be some truth in it...:no:

^ Bahh whatever. I'm pretty happy with my R5 phone now, and R6 can only do better.

Looks like people abroad have got lemons and hence they keep complaining :|

yeah..even i'm happy with r5...havent upgraded yet to r6...but tht space bar bug is irritating enuf...:lol: btw, just came to know tht thrs a way around tht..the jog dial on the side can also be used to activate dialling phone numbers when the flap is open...

btw, has any of you removed the flap?? just curious..was thinkin of doing it but somethings holding me back...:p

Where have you found this phone for around 13K... I want to get a w/o Bill set which is the "Made in France" set...

Anybody aware, please help me with this. I am from Bombay...

Cheers

Shantanu
Quad Master said:
Hi Guys
Its been a long long time since i upgraded my cellphone.
Now that the P990i is close to 13K thinking of finalizing it.
Some queries.
1.> Does it support Divx/Xvid + Mp3 encoded AVI files.
2.> Howz the battery life.
3.> howz the sound quality via earphones.
4.> does it support 3.5mm jack earphones , does it have the same
connector like the K750i so i can connect the Walkman earbuds
and so the other 3.5mm earphones.
5.> how the loud speaker
6.> does it have FM
7.> does Wifi support Adhoc mode.
8.> howz the screen contrast ration [visiblity in daylight]
9.> any issues 990i users that have faced which i shud know about.
I dont mind the bluky and i know it has no edge.
Can some one list the imp 3rd party apps for Symbian OS on this phone.
any suggestions and tips on this phone are welcome.
Hope i dint ask a lot of qtns

wer did u find this baby for 13k
i m goin to buy the same but didnt find it for less than 15.5k
i hav used a is elder bro p910 n it was quite a delight though it was a little bit bulky n odd in pockets.
sound was good n so was connectivity.

jesal said:
i dint get to see it in 13brac. but i got one for 14000 on friday, decent phone wonder i never bought it ealier.

Where did you buy it from... did u get a made in France or a Made in China / Malaysia?

can you please give the details?

Did u get dealer's warranty? [A lot of sellers do give their personal warranty for a year]

Thanks again!

Shantanu

Back