Storage Solutions Urgent :partition type

flash23

Adept
I have two disks 500gb and 1tb
500 gb has developed bad sectors so i need to get the 1 tb running with the OS
The problem is that when i boot the 1tb drive with OS installed it misses a partition , here the 500 gb drive is not connected to the system
here is the disk management screenshot with their statuses
[attachment=10714:17707.attach]
Guys, please help me out I have REALLY MESSED up bad.
I have tried EasyBCD but could find any option to change it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 89
[attachment=10715:17708.attach]
This is the acronis screenie
How to get rig of that Active,System of I:
I dont have any external storage options.

Attachments

• acronis.jpg
    acronis.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 82
Could you mention from which drive you are booting? That might help.

As far as the active thing is concerned, if you plan to install on the 1TB (if not already done), you can make any partition active. Not an issue. Which ever drive is configured as a boot drive is usually a active partition. Will post more links on the same.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

You will need to use the DISKPART command form command line and use the active sub command after selecting the proper disk and partition.

OR just right click on the partition contain the W7 install, select Mark partition as active.

the drive which has the OS, make it active as suggested above ...in BIOS check the boot sequence

Originally i had installed the OS on the 500gb, one of the partition (I: Movies) on the 1Tb became system active partition containing the files BOOTMGR. glrdr, winx.ld, BOOTSECT.BAK

The 500gb developed bad sectors later, so i decided to install the OS on the 1TB HDD. I created a 30 GB partition (L: ), I disconnected the 500 GB, installed the OS (from pendrive ) on L:. After booting the PC with only 1 Tb plugged in firstly I find a dual boot screen with 2 OSs both Windows 7, the first one refers to the one in 1 tb, while the 2nd one refers to the old OS in the 500 gb. Then after booting, i find the partition I: Movies missing.
I refreshed in the Disk management, but no results. The i tried the steps mentioned in http://http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html but nothing.
Since i will be giving the 500GB for RMA, i will be using only the 1Tb and i want to use it fully.

Bro, you have four primary partitions. Which partition has OS installed? Set that partition as active and change the boot setting to that drive and reboot. It should work.

What should ideally be the type of partition used for data storage and for OS?

is it primary for OS

and logical for data storage

vivek.krishnan said:
Could you mention from which drive you are booting? That might help.

As far as the active thing is concerned, if you plan to install on the 1TB (if not already done), you can make any partition active. Not an issue. Which ever drive is configured as a boot drive is usually a active partition. Will post more links on the same.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

You will need to use the DISKPART command form command line and use the active sub command after selecting the proper disk and partition.

OR just right click on the partition contain the W7 install, select Mark partition as active.

IN Disk Management. DO the above.

i think problem is old boot entry for 500GB in boot menu ... since 500GB hdd is already removed, boot entry is of that one is of no use

u can remove the entry using BCDEDIT command

Bcdedit /delete {boot loader identifier}

to get {boot loader identifier}, just run bcdedit

@guneshwor tried that, didn't work
@all formatted the partition in 1Tb in which the new OS was installed, and restarted the PC twice with only 500Gb plugged in the connectd the 1Tb did rescan disks in Disk Management
now all that remains is to Remove the ACTIVE tag from a partition on the 1 Tb, Disk Management does not work in this case since it is able to swipe the ACTIVE tag with another partition in the disk but not remove it. Will try hard drive active, how do u disable - Windows-XP-General-Discussion - Windows-XP for it tomorrow (Dont want to ruin my night).

For de-activating a partition, you can use DISKPART

Run DISKPART on cmd

then "list disk" to see appropriate disk number like 0,1,2 etc

then "select disk 1" whichever contains active partition that you want to mark inactive

then "list partition" to see appropriate partiton number like 0,1,2 etc

then "select partition 1" to select active partition that you want to mark inactive

finally "inactive" to mark that partition inactive

even though partition is inactive but if boot entry is present in boot loader then you have to remove it ... see my previous post

Back