Urgent: thinking of purchasing Samsung Vibrant - is it good idea?

^^ I know its the same thing..and I also know that I wont get warranty here.

I was just thinking about it coz the price difference was considerable - if I am getting Vibrant in the range of 17-19K..where as galaxy s is available here for around 27k..it 8-10k difference

I guess its a question of risking 20k investment without warranty + trouble of unlocking vs 8k more to avoid all that. Personally I would rather spend the extra money.

If you intend to get from US and if its all the same, then why don't you go for the AT&T variant Captivate instead. More compact design (in terms of height) and better build quality due to metal back cover.

^^ Thanks, Lord_Nemesis

while I was searching about Captivate, I came to know that - it is available for $349 without contract!! and some people were saying that by paying $6 and calling AT&T, they give u the unlock code..
I have asked my friend to check it.

And, about the warranty, that friend will be going back and forth a few more times this year and next year..so in case of warranty claim, I can send it with him :)
also, $349 -> ~17k...thats 10k difference.
I am not saying that I am going to buy it..as you said having warranty is definitely better when your investing 5 figure amount.
But lets see.. I will post here about what details I get.

btw, I also came across a few posts..where people were able to buy Captivate for $300 without contract! If that is the case, its worth taking the risk I think.
I will post the link when I get back home..(its from android forums and its blocked in my school aka office :p)

If you can get unlock code directly from AT&T and have means for claiming warranty, $350 would be a very nice deal indeed. Personally I like the overall build quality of Captivate and Epic 4G variants. Do note that there is one flaw I noticed with Captivate in the vids I watched. There is very little space between the screen and the bottom of the phone and the capacitive buttons are place in that small area. It seems rather easy to accidentally press those buttons while operating the phone. Using Capacitive buttons on phones like these really sucks.

khanvis2009 said:
anything " samsung" in mobile phones is a very bad idea :(

You can't buy a smart phone (or even a majority of mid to high end dumb phones) these days with out at least one thing inside made by samsung. Just out of curiosity what phone do you use currently? If it costs more than 10k, then there is a good chance that is at least one thing inside that's made by Samsung. As for support, most brands have shitty A.S.S in India and compared to that Nokia and Samsung seem to have a better support network here (although I don't know enough about their QoS).

RVK2488 said:
^^ Thanks, Lord_Nemesis

while I was searching about Captivate, I came to know that - it is available for $349 without contract!! and some people were saying that by paying $6 and calling AT&T, they give u the unlock code..

I have asked my friend to check it.

And, about the warranty, that friend will be going back and forth a few more times this year and next year..so in case of warranty claim, I can send it with him :)

also, $349 -> ~17k...thats 10k difference.

I am not saying that I am going to buy it..as you said having warranty is definitely better when your investing 5 figure amount.

But lets see.. I will post here about what details I get.

btw, I also came across a few posts..where people were able to buy Captivate for $300 without contract! If that is the case, its worth taking the risk I think.

I will post the link when I get back home..(its from android forums and its blocked in my school aka office :p)
I would say NO. USA 3G network is different from Indian 3G network. Just get a confirmation whether the phone is compatible with Indian 3G.

Vibrant HSDPA: 1700 / 2100

Galaxy S HSDPA: 900 / 1900 / 2100

Why do you want to spend 20k on something that doesn't have support in India.

btw, Check with kalpik (twitter.com/kalpik). he has a sealed, brand new GS for sale.

Edit : BSNL 3G works at 2100MHz band which means that Vibrand may work on BSNL's network.

ya the support thing maybe an issue. I went to get the new firmware for my wave at the service center, they have the JF4 firmware in europe but in India JF2 was recently available. The service center rep said he can download the europe firmware but it may not work properly in India...

Back