Linux URGENT: Ubuntu won't boot

Guys, i was trying to change the default ubuntu splash screen using startup-manager.what i did was delete the default splash screen and add a new splash screen.After this ubuntu wont boot at all....after the grub loading screen, it shows some commands as if ubuntu is loading and 2 of commands have red asteriks with some error, i cannot read it as the screen changes fast.After this it load this full screen terminal which tells me to login and after logging in :the screen is filled with '-bash: /dev/null:permission denied'

I cannnot use my laptop as ubuntu is my only OS installed.

Thankyou

linuxtechie said:
Hmm did you try rescuing with the installation disk? Take a LiveCD and check whats missing.

~LT

I tried the live disc, but i dint seen any recovery/rescue option when the live cd boots

If no solution to revive the current one, is there anyway i can make a fresh install which will have all my current settings and apps installed as before ? but still more emphasis on reviving the current installation

Do one this navigate to /usr/lib/usplash as root.. Download any usplash and replace it with default ubuntu from live disc ..

Check if it works.

your system's kernel initramfs image might have messed up. you need to re-generate it.

try searching google for more info.

I think invoking below command in a root shell(sudo) may repair.boot the system without usplash.that is -by press "e" in the grub menu on boot and select 2nd line (kernel /boot/vmlinuz...) .press "e" again.remove the last lines "quiet splash" by backspace key.then press "ENTER".then press key "b" to boot.login into a pseudo terminal with username and password.stop gdm/kdm(sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop).then proceed:

Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/update-initramfs -u

later ,you may do ,

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

try rebooting.

if bash still persists on permission error ,try "sudo chmod 666 /dev/null"

BTW ,there is a "recovery" option in grub menu too?

prakashan said:
your system's kernel initramfs image might have messed up. you need to re-generate it.
try searching google for more info.
I think invoking below command in a root shell(sudo) may repair.boot the system without usplash.that is -by press "e" in the grub menu on boot and select 2nd line (kernel /boot/vmlinuz...) .press "e" again.remove the last lines "quiet splash" by backspace key.then press "ENTER".then press key "b" to boot.login into a pseudo terminal with username and password.stop gdm/kdm(sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop).then proceed:
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/update-initramfs -u
later ,you may do ,
Code:
try rebooting.
if bash still persists on permission error ,try "sudo chmod 666 /dev/null"

BTW ,there is a "recovery" option in grub menu too?

when stopping gdm it gives an error 'return: 24: illegal number: Stopping'

and the system is currently is in Read only mode so cannot update initramfs....how do i change the mode ?

I tried file system check in recovery menu but no avail. I tried remounting the hdd in read write mode but it gives an error ' Mount: only root can do that' and the system is still in read only mode.

haha..you messed up big time:p you should never use third party applications, they break systems most of the time.

see this:

Usplash Fingerprint Theme

Experimental theme for Usplash boot splash manager, which tests the possibility to use two (or more, in future) charging bars instead of just one

Now it used to work with previous versions of Ubuntu but recently Ubuntu had update its Usplash and related subsystems, so its peice of code is abandon-ware as the author lost interest and didn't update.

check the last realease date, latest realease is 3years old. its way old and you should avoid it;

comptus-0.1_Alpha2.tar.gz i386 48.8 KiB Thu Jul 05 2007 00:20

you can try repairing it but if everything fails, you have do a reinstall but don't worry. you can save your settings. so you don't have to spend time doing everything. also, next time if you feel urge to try out experimental stuff, take backups first:p

NoName01 said:
I tried file system check in recovery menu but no avail. I tried remounting the hdd in read write mode but it gives an error ' Mount: only root can do that' and the system is still in read only mode.

Try it as root

use sudo infront of command you are trying to use. like for apt-get install foo

i have to use

Code:
sudo apt-get install foo

Gaurish said:
haha..you messed up big time:p you should never use third party applications, they break systems most of the time.
see this:
check the last realease date, latest realease is 3years old. its way old and you should avoid it;
comptus-0.1_Alpha2.tar.gz i386 48.8 KiB Thu Jul 05 2007 00:20
you can try repairing it but if everything fails, you have do a reinstall but don't worry. you can save your settings. so you don't have to spend time doing everything. also, next time if you feel urge to try out experimental stuff, take backups first:p

how do i back up my settings ? and how to get list of all the apps installed ?

NoName01 said:
how do i back up my settings ? and how to get list of all the apps installed ?

Just take backups of your /home/ dir. also, you might want to take backups of configration files in /etc.

for packages. copy the file /var/lib/dpkg/status from the other computer to a USB pen/stick or to a CD. this file contains full list of packages installed on your system. as it lists every package, so its pretty big:p

[Update]

Check this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/ for help on how to backup.

but ,I will say ,you boot the system into runlevel 1(aka root shell) and fix the mess..later ,fix the usplash mess by selecting the default usplash theme and regenerate intiramfs as mentioned above.

steps:

Press ESC at the grub prompt.

Press e for edit.

Highlight the line that begins kernel ………, press e

Go to the very end of the line, add rw init=/bin/bash

press enter, then press b to boot your system.

Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.

How-To Recover password under Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

EDIT:

then

Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

^select the default theme.

then do a :

Code:

and if you have completely messed up /lib/usplash directory ,try(hoping usplash debs are cached)

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall usplass usplash-theme-ubuntu

==

A recovery CD for Ubuntu:

Ubuntu Rescue Remix | The Rescue Remix provides a Free-Libre Open-Source data recovery software toolkit based on Ubuntu

PS: I fail to understand what is the need to reinstall Linux distro for every small borked up issues?just google it out the solution.

I selected the Default Splash screen and i can see the ubuntu screen when shutting down, but still ubuntu not booting up. when doing this

it says linux-image-uname -r is not installed

EDIT: Also downloading ubuntu rescue remix, how do i use it ?

Okay....finally ubuntu load screen comes up and after that a blue screen and shows 'could not start the X server due to some internal error........ blah blah bla.....................please restart GDM when the problem is corrected'

EDIT: SInce you have restored Usplash and kernel ,don't boot with grub having the lines "rw init=/bin/bash".Use the normal grub menu to boot into Ubuntu

now what is your graphics card?nvidia?reinstall nvidia driver.(nvidia-glx).now in the terminal ,
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
and wait whether bullet-proof X pops up(for 8.10 and 9.04 Ubuntu).

regarding bash permission thingy ,do as "sudo chmod 666 /dev/null" and go.I think there are some other packages also messed up?I will recommend reinstallation of udev,nvidia-glx as well.

do this as well:

Code:
sudo source ~/.bashrc

and for X(display) check /etc/X11/xorg.conf to contain the driver name.for example ,nvidia graphics based PC need "nvidia" there(sudo nvidia-xconfig).check this:

http://pastebin.ca/1490639

Back