Storage Solutions USB 2.0/3.0 2 TB Seagate different pricing, different types.

shirish

Skilled
Hi all,
I am in the market for a USB 2.0/3.0 2 TB Seagate HDD. I contacted 2 vendors who shared pricing of 2 TB for Seagate Expansion Plus in the range of Rs. 8100 to 8300/- and Seagate Backup Plus between Rs. 8300/- to Rs. 8500/- . The difference in the prices is apparently due to the reason that there is a specific Mac driver for it.

Another vendor shared the pricing of Rs. 6800/- and Rs. 8200/- stating that the Rs. 6800/- is the regular desktop one (3.5") which comes with its power adaptor (and I have several of those) while the smaller version (2.5") runs on usb-power. I have an old system and ONLY USB 2.0 . AFAIK USB-Power is part of the specification of USB 3.0

Looking for advice and if anybody wants to quote some prices feel free to ping me as well.

Expansion Plus 3.5" 2 TB should be less than 7k. I got mine for about 6.2k more than an year back. Do note that this model seems to have problems running properly with USB 3 at least in my experience. I run it of USB 2 to avoid problems. You might want to consider the Backup plus series instead.

@Lord Nemesis did you buy it online or from some known vendor/shop ? Also are you sure the issue of USB 3.0 is at your end. I do remember that Intel had issues for about 6 months ~ year when they released the range of micrprocessors , the issues AFAIK was seen plaguing till December 2013 or even later. See this for instance http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html as well as https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ble-on-multiple-pcs-and?forum=w8itprohardware . I am using it on Debian GNU/Linux.

I have 2 3.5" Expansion devices from last 2-3 years (on USB 2 though only) and they have been great.

I have an old mobo and it has only usb 2 sockets on it. They is a USB 3 header on the mobo itself but means buying an extension socket, opening the box and drilling a hole in the back of the case, all of which is more work then I want to do atm. </OT>

Anyways, looking to know more if possible as I need to make the decision tomorrow.

^^2TB Expansion Plus was purchased from a local store. The drive works fine on USB 2, but when connected through USB 3 it often disappears after a while even while the drive is in use (read/write happening). I was not entirely sure if it was a problem with the drive or USB ports, but other USB 3 devices like my 5 TB Backup Plus and two USB 3 thumb drives have worked fine on the same ports, so I am assuming its a problem with the drive. And yeah, my platform is not Haswell. Its a sandy bridge CPU (2500k) running of a Asus P8Z67 deluxe motherboard and the USB 3 port that I was using is powered by a third party chip

Umm... a related question. I have type A USB 2 receptacles on my system which should work. Can you share more details of the 5 TB Backup Plus you purchased, is it a regular 3.5" box like a regular HDD or it's smaller 2.5" . When did you buy it and at around what price ? Also the Backup Plus can it work with power Adaptors from the Expansion series or not ?

5 TB Backup Plus is a 3.5" drive and purchased for $140 from US during the holiday season. I am currently using the Backup plus power adapter with my Expansion Plus drive as the one that came with it recently burned out. So yes, the power adapters are compatible..

Back