PC Peripherals USB issues - Intermittent start/stop

I have a PCI to USB card which has 4 usb 2.0 ports. Since it is at the back of the CPU, I got a usb extension cable.

Now any of my devices like my Wlan adapter/pen drive refused to work (though they would power on) when connected to this extension cable.

I thought this might be a power issue, so went ahead and bought a Belkin 4 port powered usb hub. Now the problem I'm facing is that the devices connected to this hub seem to stop and start intermittently after about every 3-4 minutes.

Not sure what the issue here is, since the hub shows as self-powered under device management.

Tried removing all devices one by one, but the problem persists even if one device is connected to the hub.

Note: All devices work fine if directly connected to the pci to usb card, the pc has just been formatted and virus scanned (Kaspersky) etc etc, so it definitely seems like a hardware issue, between the hub and the usb ports.

Would someone know more about this?

If the problem is with the PCI card, the devices would not work if directly connected to it, right?

But they seem to be working fine that way.

@Teh Fawlty gUy

Ordered it from rediff, so its some local brand, but then again the card works fine on its own (when the devices are directly connected to it).

^ connect the usb devices to the front panel, check if it works perfectly. If YES then your PCI card is faulty

None of the USB ports on the motherboard work, which is why the PCI card was installed
happy19.gif

Do you have the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' unchecked in the power management tab in device manager for your PCI card?

Not exactly the same issue but i used to face a similar problem. My seagate 2.5" external HDD used to turn on/off after 30 seconds even while copying data. The reason was that i had connected an extension cord to the USB port at the back of my CPU. Fixed it by connecting the HDD directly to the USB port. Haven't had a problem since...

Yeah, the same thing works for me as well....if I connect the device directly, there are no issues. But I just spent 850 bucks on a USB hub and wanted to connect my wireless usb stick and an external dvd writer to it...

then theres no point of discussion.. the problem is with your hub only.. you say you have also tried just connecting a single device.. so that means theres no power issues, the usb socket on the hub either must be faulty or not of good quality..

Have you looked in Power Options? (I am assuming you are using Windows 7 here).

Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Set to off

did you install the drivers that came with the card? also remove the usb cables of the ports that dont work from the motherboard.

Back