Audio USB or (Native TRRS) Headset with mic. Budget 10K

sarang

Skilled
I have a great workplace that allows me the freedom of bringing my own stuff. Have already moved my Maverick D1 and M-35s to my office. Used it for close to 2 years now.

However growing workload and responsibility means I cant afford the luxury of plugging cables in-and-out of the amp, switching to the headset for a call and all the micro-tasks that add up. However I cant give up on personal-music either.

So this is what I need to do. I need a USB headset with mic. Mic is not optional its a must! If not USB I can live with a TRRS jack (I paid big bucks for a top tier laptop so screw me right?). But USB is first preference.

Since I am ready to spend 10K and coming from a ATHM35 I hope I could expect mid-low end musicality. Another big requirement is comfort. As these'll probably used close to 3-4 hours a day. No gaming on these, strictly music and skype/lync/hangouts.

Have seen the Senn 163D and 333D both are 7.1 whatever so not sure about their stereo performance. FWIF here are the links http://shop.sennheiserindia.com/pc-333d.html
http://shop.sennheiserindia.com/pc-163d.html

Over to you gurus

Almost every headphone with mic / headset will be targeted for gamers and not music . I haven't tried many but the Asus Vulcan which I tried was pretty good with music as well along with gaming . Check with Asus if its still available.

Other options are the Sennheiser PC series but the good sounding one's will be really expensive PC350/360 etc . There's Siberia V2 as well , more of a gaming headset with emphasis on treble .

Alternate option would be to add something like this to your existing ATH-M35 for the mic , if it will work for you :p

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSoniTalk-Microphone-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B000V8RCTS

Almost every headphone with mic / headset will be targeted for gamers and not music . I haven't tried many but the Asus Vulcan which I tried was pretty good with music as well along with gaming . Check with Asus if its still available.

Other options are the Sennheiser PC series but the good sounding one's will be really expensive PC350/360 etc . There's Siberia V2 as well , more of a gaming headset with emphasis on treble .

Alternate option would be to add something like this to your existing ATH-M35 for the mic , if it will work for you :p

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSoniTalk-Microphone-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B000V8RCTS

Thanks @FaH33m The vulcan is nowhere close to an upgrade above the M35 (I have one in office). The Siberia looks interesting. And I am done with those accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too haven't heard too many really good USB 5.1 headphones. :(

Your best option is to get a regular headphone with a built in mic. Creative is about to launch a new set of headphones with built in mic. I heard the top of the line one (Costs 4.5k) and that was pretty good. Probably will match or beat an M35. Was pretty comfy too. They will be launched pretty soon.

I too haven't heard too many really good USB 5.1 headphones. :(

Your best option is to get a regular headphone with a built in mic. Creative is about to launch a new set of headphones with built in mic. I heard the top of the line one (Costs 4.5k) and that was pretty good. Probably will match or beat an M35. Was pretty comfy too. They will be launched pretty soon.

Don't need a 5.1 at all. Strictly stereo, hence avoiding the Sennheiser. Any model name, number on the Creative?

aah the WP350 bluetooth model had inbuilt mic but SQ wasn't as good as M35. Just pretty good for a wireless 5-6k headphones.

No wireless please. Simple wired, is enough. The theory is that money saved on wireless would get me better SQ right?

if u open to surround headsets check skullcandy plyr1 .. its gud for movies music and games .. the first gaming headset ( afaik) which has nice reviews in head fi :)

if u open to surround headsets check skullcandy plyr1 .. its gud for movies music and games .. the first gaming headset ( afaik) which has nice reviews in head fi :)
Mate, I need something for music, and the surround ones just don't cut it. Haven't heard the plyr1 in particular so no comments there.

Almost all USB headsets are 5.1 these days. :p

Creative hasn't launched this model yet. Still waiting for it to appear on their website.

Ok turning my gun towards TRRS ones (Single 3.5mm for the unintiated). Are there any comfortable TRRS headsets? Priorities in that order
  1. Great NC mic
  2. Comfort, (Circum-aural preferred) No IEM please, I already have enough IEMs
  3. SQ (Of course)
  4. Easy to drive
  5. Around 10k

Back