Storage Solutions USB pendrive with write-protect tab?

Are pendrives with write-protect switches available here in India? Any recommendations? Also does anybody know how they accomplish write-protection with a physical write-protect switch?

Thanks in advance.

I have a TwinMos Mobile Disk X4 flash drive that comes with a physical write-protection switch.

I'm sure you'll find a few models locally, with write-protection switches.

Thank you for replying.

Thetoxicmind, I've looked *everywhere* in Bangalore, and shops seem to carry only Transcend and Kingston. It's a pity they don't make all pendrives with write-protect switches, I mean, the benefits are obvious. I can't find Twinmos x4 on any online stores either. It would solve a lot of my problems (got infected twice from using a pendrive in an internet cafe).

Blackstickman said:
Thank you for replying.

Thetoxicmind, I've looked *everywhere* in Bangalore, and shops seem to carry only Transcend and Kingston. It's a pity they don't make all pendrives with write-protect switches, I mean, the benefits are obvious. I can't find Twinmos x4 on any online stores either. It would solve a lot of my problems (got infected twice from using a pendrive in an internet cafe).

Hmmm...
I picked mine from a Duty Free shop.
They have so many brands and models to choose from.

Considering the local availability, you could try sourcing it from somewhere.

BTW, You could drop them a mail and find out:
TwinMOS Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd.

412, Shakuntala Appartments, 59, Nehru Place, New Delhi-110019, India
Tel: +91-11-41306121-23
Fax: +91-11-41306122
Email: info@twinmosindia.com

sandisk cruiser and other sandisk versions come along with the U3 software. you can password protect your drive and also set it as read only with the U3 software. plus it has a variety of small portable apps that can be added.

similarly transcend pendrive with a jet flash elite software. you can do similar things with this piece of software.

on the other hand..

you can use an SD card (or mini sd/micro sd with adapter...)

they have lock switch and will serve the requisite purpose.

only down part is that you would require a card reader for this..

but some cards come with built in usb port like this one :)

Hi
I was also looking for the same.

I have searched at the TwinMos site as suggested by the member

TwinMOS Technologies Inc.

None of the drives mentioned here are write protect. They are all read protect with password(Optional)
Am i missing something or going to the wrong site ?

Shravan

shravank30 said:
Hi

I was also looking for the same.

I have searched at the TwinMos site as suggested by the member

TwinMOS Technologies Inc.

None of the drives mentioned here are write protect. They are all read protect with password(Optional)

Am i missing something or going to the wrong site ?

Shravan

It's not mentioned but is very much present on the drive.

Also consider Madnav's suggestion of getting a SD card.

They all have write-protect switches and you'll only need to invest in a mem. card reader.

Most of the older PDs had a write protect switch.

-Transcend Jetflash 7-8 yrs ago 64MB jetflash

-Twinmos PDs

-Old Samsung and Amkette (or quantum ) Pds

Use a utility like memory bar to create public and private partitions and then lock out partitions

maybe the companies tried to cut production cost by removing the write protection switch

Aww, U3 doesn't write-protect anything. I installed U3 Launchpad on my Sandisk Cruzer. On a U3 drive, only the U3 software itself is write-protected, not the other applications/data you place on the drive. The search continues..

Back