Mac OS USB Troubles! Sound familiar to anyone?

metalheart

Disciple
Mar 26, 2008
Mumbai
My MBP is about 2.5 years old. After the latest excursion to the service center, I have been having trouble with the USB drives. They seem to be extra loose in terms of connection. Even the slightest movements cause my external HDDs to be dismounted or ejected.

I have noticed the same problem with at least 4 other MBP users - in fact, for some of them, they had purchased their MBP about 6-7 months back.

Just thought I should confirm.

Has Apple finally gone down the mass production+low quality road? I hope not.

nitant

Adept
Mar 9, 2009
Well you technically could solder a new usb plug onto the mainboard. Though I have never had such an issue.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
Yes.

Of the two ports, one frequently drops devices and sometimes even the display connector does not work very well. I had to send it in for a checkup and it's been kind of working but I've not been using the ports enough to confirm if it has been fixed. There is some issue with the entire left hand side of mine, at one point it had stopped charging.

After the episode with Apple Care I've been advised to turn the machine off once in a while to reset all hardware.

Mine uis a 2011 13" MBP.

Sub

Adept
Aug 12, 2010
I had this issue too, the USB ports became increasingly erratic and unpredictable and Apple quoted obscene prices for a repair. So I just bought an Expresscard to USB adapter. What do you mean "has finally gone down mass production"? All Apple products have been mass produced in South East Asia since the early 2000s. Macbook Pro is made by the same people (Pegatron) that make your cheap HP Pavilion laptops.

metalheart

Disciple
Mar 26, 2008
Mumbai
Its not possible. Apple has the best, most rugged, sexiest way of un mounting usb devices. YOu sire, are wrong.

You sire, appear to be a Republican from the United States (Global Warming? What global warming? You protestors are wrong!) and should seriously try and use the MBP as your primary computer. Or maybe you misunderstood the problem. It isn't an issue of dismounting or ejecting devices. It's an issue of sub-standard hardware. And possibly, an issue of low-quality repair/service centers in India.

Well you technically could solder a new usb plug onto the mainboard. Though I have never had such an issue.

I somehow doubt that's possible. Please do elaborate more on this.

Yes. Of the two ports, one frequently drops devices and sometimes even the display connector does not work very well. I had to send it in for a checkup and it's been kind of working but I've not been using the ports enough to confirm if it has been fixed. There is some issue with the entire left hand side of mine, at one point it had stopped charging. After the episode with Apple Care I've been advised to turn the machine off once in a while to reset all hardware. Mine uis a 2011 13" MBP.

My MBP is your MBP's 15" doppelgänger! The EXACT same problems. The fact is that my MBP stays powered on throughout the night and I give it a rest for 6-7 hours a day. Hasn't quite resolved the issue though.

What do you mean "has finally gone down mass production"? All Apple products have been mass produced in South East Asia since the early 2000s. Macbook Pro is made by the same people (Pegatron) that make your cheap HP Pavilion laptops.

By that, I meant a gradual quality reduction on a large scale that scales down the cost per manufactured model. This may/may not include changing the internal parts and connections. My case study: A quick overall comparison of the new MBPs with my own without referring to the official 'specifications'. The hardware seemed to be more sorted in the older versions. Speakers conked off earlier, the charger conked off earlier and the exact same USB problem that I was referring to happened WAY earlier. Hence, to me, the entire issue reeks of quality lapses that more often than not, occur in mass-produced, successful products.

Also, does an Expresscard let you share a USB dongle-based internet connection and an external hdd?

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
You sire, appear to be a Republican from the United States (Global Warming? What global warming? You protestors are wrong!) and should seriously try and use the MBP as your primary computer. Or maybe you misunderstood the problem. It isn't an issue of dismounting or ejecting devices. It's an issue of sub-standard hardware. And possibly, an issue of low-quality repair/service centers in India.

I somehow doubt that's possible. Please do elaborate more on this.

My MBP is your MBP's 15" doppelgänger! The EXACT same problems. The fact is that my MBP stays powered on throughout the night and I give it a rest for 6-7 hours a day. Hasn't quite resolved the issue though.

By that, I meant a gradual quality reduction on a large scale that scales down the cost per manufactured model. This may/may not include changing the internal parts and connections. My case study: A quick overall comparison of the new MBPs with my own without referring to the official 'specifications'. The hardware seemed to be more sorted in the older versions. Speakers conked off earlier, the charger conked off earlier and the exact same USB problem that I was referring to happened WAY earlier. Hence, to me, the entire issue reeks of quality lapses that more often than not, occur in mass-produced, successful products.

Also, does an Expresscard let you share a USB dongle-based internet connection and an external hdd?

An expresscard will give you a USB slot, maybe two. Get a hub and connect both.

Dont go around doing any sort of soldering. Not advised.

As for me being a repuiblican, my vote goes for the pirate party
<
My only gripe with Apple is their anti Android stance.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
^^Do you own or use a Macbook or MBP?

If you did, trust me you would have more than one gripe. It's built for idiots who don't know how to use a computer, or need to. It's like a dumb american blonde - great show value, looks good, easy to operate but once you start pushing for a little more brain it comes up short. Only style, with no substance at all. No offense to those who chose one.

You can use one USB dongle at a time. The space between them is so small that anything a little broad (wireless dongle) will simply not fit. And Apple does not support (officially) operation from a hub. ***Put a bit of space between the ports you dumbholes***.

The screen sucks. I don't know what people compare it to when they go all ga-ga, but it works only if your head is at the absolutely right angle. At every other it looks like a moose urinated on it. The build quality is shoddy. The bottom panel of my MBP doesn't line up, there is a visible line where it joins the horizontal part of the case. Your sleeve touches the touchpad and the screen scrolls between magnification and navigation.

The software is either not available, or you pay through your nose for it, or risk a pirated version. And when it is available it crashes all the time or behaves erratically. The only time the Mac pays off is when you curl up in bed to browse.

Just like that blonde.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Mar 24, 2005
51nD m3!
www.techenclave.com
One more post to kick the hell of apple. I wont comment much but myself have worked with apple and i guarantee you those people are serious a**h*l*s. They are the biggest zholzhaal persons which you wont even find at lamington road side kabadiwala. Since then i have kept warning people to be aware from there ass as their products already suck xcept for a bit iphone which too got its ass hacked just on release.

And mind you, apple think windows pc and linux users are cheap, dumb people who simply doesnt understand the class of apple.
<

WTF!! they are referring to?? 3rd class apple. After paying lacs of money you get a delicate hardware having no life guarantee and the same hardware on a pc we get at 50% reduced cost with tons of individual warranties, diy and no failure worries or extra costs. Just piece of mind and even if something goes wrong every 3rd person is ready to help you at no xtra cost.
<

I have made fun of apple before their own managers and the staff. Have laughed and cracked jokes too.
<
They simple do jugaad and hera pheri of parts which is beyond anyboys imagination.

Apple says one day their will be just mac and apple ruling the world and windows will be ending very soon.
<

And their own people use dell and hp laptops and whenever any problem arose, they asked my help and i just kick them hard by saying now why you cheap dumb idiots using shit of windows when you got your own apple mango cherry class....& the so called lion leopard centipede and kitten os.. now wheres your class gone... then too i never use to help them properly. I reserved my attitude for windows.
<

Finall word...every apple lover or customer....RIP!!!
<

metalheart

Disciple
Mar 26, 2008
Mumbai
Well, I didn't mean to mean to start a Mac vs. PC war out here, but I must say this.

Once you go Mac, you can't go back.

A MacBook is like a REALLY hot girl with a great body. She might be a little slow inside and slightly expensive to maintain, but totally worth it.

I had been using Windows for about 13 years. Linux for a year. Back to Windows. And then, one fine day I happened to be compelled to use Final Cut Pro. All I can say is this. I don't care much for the hardware other than the fact that Apple provides a complete replacement of faulty parts (got my MBP speakers replaced twice, hard disk once) and the overall aesthetics of the machines they make. But the OS! God the OS! How I love it. I have wasted so little time getting simple things done! I can't possibly sit and write a complete list. Sure, in Windows everything is technically 'possible', but is not native. Eg. Automator, Spotlight.

One more thing. The additional controller key - Command. The no. of possible shortcuts on every application increases at least 50 times (the no. of keys). The graphical interface is so smooth. Simple things such as hot corners and multiple screens not only enhance your productive output, but also are an aesthetic treat!

Sure there are drawbacks. The non open-source nature of Apple software makes life tough (or does it? Virus anyone?)

Simplicity is the key. A machine is supposed to make YOUR work easier. A machine should not try to ask you to attempt at making its work easier (case study: drivers installation, the 'antivirus' craze to name the prominent time killers in Windows).

I am NOT an Apple fanboy. My opinions are totally non-biased. I have been experimenting with multiple OSs for a very long time. But for the past 2.5 years, I haven't felt the need to migrate to another OS. Most people have a complaint with the fact that Apple's expensive. I agree. Apple's expensive - because it has a monopoly. Horribly overpriced. But they make you feel that it's totally worth it.

I would advise everyone who uses Windows to at least TRY and use OS X - if not on an Apple machine, google 'Hackintosh'.

Getting back to the problem. There is no solution, is there? Dabbling with hardware seems to be my last resort.