Android Uses of old phone?

Hi everyone,

I hope y'all are doing well. I have an old Moto G5s Plus (some of you may remember from my WTS post) that I lent to a relative (they used it for a while as they were saving money to buy a new phone) who recently gave it back to me. Since they returned it, it's been with me without ever being used and I feel bad not using it. It's been slowly charging to 85% every week or so so the battery is as is from my post. The thing is, since it's idle, I was wondering if I could maybe use it for something else? Perhaps, to be used as an Android TV Box if that's possible. Or a Steam Link to play games on the TV using a Dualshock 4. Or a good MP3 player since it has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Dunno what to do with it, so I am here asking for some suggestions.

On another note, I use the S21 FE (Exynos) and it's been a bit too unwieldy for me but prefer One UI over everything else under the sun. Been meaning to trade it for something smaller. How do I go about it?

Thank you all and have a lovely day! :)

If you're interested in messing around with android's software side of things, it could be a fun device for that, like rooting, custom ROMs, running linux, etc. But if you're thinking of using a phone to do the job of another device, you are going to be disappointed. I've tried to use a phone as a security cam, a wifi access point, dashcam, a media server for plex/emby, a streaming stick, and lot's of other uses. Experience is always sub-par and not worth doing it other than for the curiosity of can-I-do-it.

Best use of an old phone is... as a phone... sell it on olx or donate it to someone who can use it.

If you're interested in messing around with android's software side of things, it could be a fun device for that, like rooting, custom ROMs, running linux, etc. But if you're thinking of using a phone to do the job of another device, you are going to be disappointed. I've tried to use a phone as a security cam, a wifi access point, dashcam, a media server for plex/emby, a streaming stick, and lot's of other uses. Experience is always sub-par and not worth doing it other than for the curiosity of can-I-do-it.

Best use of an old phone is... as a phone... sell it on olx or donate it to someone who can use it.
Yeah I've done it all, custom ROM and rooting it especially. It's got a good selection of custom ROMs as well so I thought maybe I could use it.

As a streaming stick, I'm sure it must be much better than the most basic MiTV 4A, 8GB/1GB. Just dunno how to implement such a thing.
Damn, that's cool but battery is already bad and if I plan on selling it, I assume it might be a deal breaker for some.

Last edited:
I use my old S8 as webcam. Now I have an office SIM, so being used as an office phone. I'm not sure if your phone supports display out via USB, 99% sure that it won't as its a cheap phone. So not sure how it can be used as a media stick in TV.

Regarding S21FE, I agree that One UI is great (moved from S8 to S20FE 5G myself) but Samsung phones below S23 have shit SoCs which I won't recommend to anyone nor buy it myself. I will recommend NP2 or OP11R instead around 40k. IF you can buy S23, get that, will be more compact & is a good phone indeed. I recommend people to stay away from Samsung made chips like Exynos, Tensor, S888/888+ & 8 gen 1. 8+ Gen 1 is made at TSMC, so is 8 Gen 2 or old S865.

I had S835 version of S8, I don't think I will ever get a gem of a phone ever again, it was great for its time, all I could ask for. Even if I buy S23 next year, storage limit & 3.5mm jack will be missed (TWS just falls out of my ear, maybe my ear produces more wax than average person).

I know people who shifted from S20/S21 series phones, even Pixel to iPhone recently. Such people find iPhones to have a better battery life & to heat less. I'm sure they will not buy an android again ever. Apple's market share is increasing & Samsung's fab is to be credited partially for it IMO.

I use my old S8 as webcam. Now I have an office SIM, so being used as an office phone. I'm not sure if your phone supports display out via USB, 99% sure that it won't as its a cheap phone. So not sure how it can be used as a media stick in TV.

Regarding S21FE, I agree that One UI is great (moved from S8 to S20FE 5G myself) but Samsung phones below S23 have shit SoCs which I won't recommend to anyone nor buy it myself. I will recommend NP2 or OP11R instead around 40k. IF you can buy S23, get that, will be more compact & is a good phone indeed. I recommend people to stay away from Samsung made chips like Exynos, Tensor, S888/888+ & 8 gen 1. 8+ Gen 1 is made at TSMC, so is 8 Gen 2 or old S865.

I had S835 version of S8, I don't think I will ever get a gem of a phone ever again, it was great for its time, all I could ask for. Even if I buy S23 next year, storage limit & 3.5mm jack will be missed (TWS just falls out of my ear, maybe my ear produces more wax than average person).

I know people who shifted from S20/S21 series phones, even Pixel to iPhone recently. Such people find iPhones to have a better battery life & to heat less. I'm sure they will not buy an android again ever. Apple's market share is increasing & Samsung's fab is to be credited partially for it IMO.

Img.png

If you drive a car, you can turn it into a dashcam using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helge.droiddashcam&hl=en&gl=in
Another option is using Pixelify and using a throwaway google account and get high quality unlimited google photos backup. Can also automate it I think using foldersync.
Would not recommend as anything in a car has to be designed to withstand the conditions it would face in there. Your car can be in the sun baking hot and if your phone is running at that time with the camera on, it could easily get too hot and worst case scenario start a fire. Phones just aren't designed to record videos for long. With cars you hear reports of fires from even trivial mods like not soldering a wire properly. One in a million chance, but there are millions of cars out there.

Ah... I forgot to look past that. I think the phone doesn't support display via USB and my dumbass forgot to consider that. Ah, I thought it could maybe be something like a Raspberry Pi of sorts but eh, the display out thing is a major sticking point. If only... My mind's now leaning towards just selling it or something. Idk, I could probably use it to play old PSP games or something or PS2 games if that's possible.

Yeah, Exynos sucks, but personally, One UI is the best for me, especially compared to something like Colour OS, OxygenOS, MiUI etc. While buying this exactly last year, I was weighing up between an iPhone 12 Mini, Pixel 6a, Nothing Phone (1) and the S21 FE. I was coming from an iPhone 8 and I was leaning towards the 12 actually (in the ecosystem) but battery life was bad I heard. I could be wrong as well. The Nothing Phone (1) was good but the display size was bit too large while the Pixel 6a had decent specs and great size but I heard it was bad on other aspects like battery and stuff. Finally ended up on S21 FE cause that had a decent compromise from all the phone I shortlisted (minus i12) and I am happy with it but the size has been pretty unwieldy for me. Liked the old iPhone 8 personally cause of its size and iOS was good but I liked Android cause of the freedom I have.

Is it even possible to use the Moto phone I have as a great MP3 player? Probably not. Need to download FLACS and stuff ig.
If you drive a car, you can turn it into a dashcam using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helge.droiddashcam&hl=en&gl=in
Another option is using Pixelify and using a throwaway google account and get high quality unlimited google photos backup. Can also automate it I think using foldersync.
Yeah, I used a Pixel Experience ROM on it and had that feature. So good but I don't take photos at all (next to none, my gallery is empty) and I don't receive any photos as well. The dashcam is something that interests me though.

Ah, I thought it could maybe be something like a Raspberry Pi of sorts but eh, the display out thing is a major sticking point.
Why do you need display out for a linux based "server"? You can run linux on it in chroot using Linux Deploy app and it can work as 24x7 Pi-hole device or something else.
Only SSH is needed which was a preinstalled thing.

How about making it a GPS tracker for your kiddo or for your car? All you need is traccar client app running on your phone.
I am a final year student so kids and cars are way off. :( Not sure why I'd need a tracker for a car though. The family car is at home and in parking lots, I usually remember where I park the car. So I am not sure. Do people do that?

Ah... I forgot to look past that. I think the phone doesn't support display via USB and my dumbass forgot to consider that. Ah, I thought it could maybe be something like a Raspberry Pi of sorts but eh, the display out thing is a major sticking point. If only... My mind's now leaning towards just selling it or something. Idk, I could probably use it to play old PSP games or something or PS2 games if that's possible.

Yeah, Exynos sucks, but personally, One UI is the best for me, especially compared to something like Colour OS, OxygenOS, MiUI etc. While buying this exactly last year, I was weighing up between an iPhone 12 Mini, Pixel 6a, Nothing Phone (1) and the S21 FE. I was coming from an iPhone 8 and I was leaning towards the 12 actually (in the ecosystem) but battery life was bad I heard. I could be wrong as well. The Nothing Phone (1) was good but the display size was bit too large while the Pixel 6a had decent specs and great size but I heard it was bad on other aspects like battery and stuff. Finally ended up on S21 FE cause that had a decent compromise from all the phone I shortlisted (minus i12) and I am happy with it but the size has been pretty unwieldy for me. Liked the old iPhone 8 personally cause of its size and iOS was good but I liked Android cause of the freedom I have.

Is it even possible to use the Moto phone I have as a great MP3 player? Probably not. Need to download FLACS and stuff ig.

Yeah, I used a Pixel Experience ROM on it and had that feature. So good but I don't take photos at all (next to none, my gallery is empty) and I don't receive any photos as well. The dashcam is something that interests me though.
Even I don't want to leave One UI, but let's see. For now planning for S23 next year when my S20FE 5G will turn 3, but if I make other big purchases then I will likely get stuck if S23 goes OOS when S25 releases. Spending over 40k on phone doesn't seem to be worth it for me.

2 of my friends have S23U, great phone, but not worth 1 lakh IMO. Also very bulky.

Why do you need display out for a linux based "server"? You can run linux on it in chroot using Linux Deploy app and it can work as 24x7 Pi-hole device or something else.
Only SSH is needed which was a preinstalled thing.
PiHole is something I might look at. I was thinking Raspberry Pi cause RetroPie and could be used as a Steam Link (to my knowledge) but I could be wrong.
Spending over 40k on phone doesn't seem to be worth it for me.
Yeah... I can never spend so much on a phone (at least for my usage) when I don't take a lot of pics and don't use my phone other than the occasional long calls or YouTube videos. Off all social media platforms (except WhatsApp) and that's pretty much it. That's all I usemy phone for.

Last edited:
Back