Using a Wi-Fi printer via modem's Wi-Fi

Keimah

Recruit
None of the four desktops in my house has Wi-Fi and are connected to my fiber modem-router by wired Ethernet. The router has Wi-Fi and the signal is quite good throughout the house.

If I buy a printer with Wi-Fi but no ethernet port and place it in a central location, will the desktops be able to connect to it (and print) using the modem's Wi-Fi?

I suppose I could get Wi-Fi dongles for the desktops or use one of the computers as a print server, connected to the printer via USB. But what I'd really like to know is whether the desktops will be able to communicate with the printer via the router's Wi-Fi. Thanks in advance.
Never mind. I learned from a friend that it works. He'd done it with his local church's computer.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi is basically wireless lan. As long as all Wi-Fi and Ethernet devices are in the same subnet, there shouldn’t be any issues. The desktops should be able to find the printer as a network printer.

Thanks for the reply. It took more than 10 hours for my post to be approved. During that time, the 10% discount I was counting on had expired. :(

If you have a good router with an USB port and which supports wifi, you can use it as a print server. Advantage is that it is quite small and so you have freedom of placing printer anywhere u please.

None of the four desktops in my house has Wi-Fi and are connected to my fiber modem-router by wired Ethernet. The router has Wi-Fi and the signal is quite good throughout the house.

If I buy a printer with Wi-Fi but no ethernet port and place it in a central location, will the desktops be able to connect to it (and print) using the modem's Wi-Fi?

I suppose I could get Wi-Fi dongles for the desktops or use one of the computers as a print server, connected to the printer via USB. But what I'd really like to know is whether the desktops will be able to communicate with the printer via the router's Wi-Fi. Thanks in advance.
Never mind. I learned from a friend that it works. He'd done it with his local church's computer.
There are 3 ways you can use a wireless printer.

1.Connect it to the PC directly using USB cable.
2.Use DIRECT WIFi to the printer.
3.Connect the printer to WiFi of your home router and it will be available to all the devices connected to router.

There are 3 ways you can use a wireless printer.

1.Connect it to the PC directly using USB cable.
2.Use DIRECT WIFi to the printer.
3.Connect the printer to WiFi of your home router and it will be available to all the devices connected to router.
The OP intends to buy an USB printer, so option 2 and 3 is only possible with a suitable router/ap which has an usb port with printserver function and using WIFI (as router or client).

Using the router as a client (rather than internet router) effectively makes the printer wire-free and easily placed in a central location which may have wifi but no wired connection. We dont even need a particularly recent/modern router or an expensive one, since not much bandwidth is required for printer. A cheap travel router on TE with a single LAN and USB port and OpenWRT support would be perfect and tiny.

Last edited:
Back