Android Using an old tablet as a secondary display to monitor PC temp, Fan Speed, etc

ryu_88

Disciple
Hey TechEnclave peeps,

I recently found an old tablet while reorganizing stuff around the house - it is an old Samsung GT-P7500 straight from 2010, with all its glorious Ice Cream Sandwich years behind it and its 1 Ghz Nvidia Tegra processor outraged at me for having disturbed its perpetual slumber. I decided I could put it to better use - I recently saw this video from JayzTwoCents about using a secondary display to make some sort of a cool-looking sensor monitor panel. This got me thinking if I could perhaps use the old tablet as a way to achieve this - its 10 inch screen is still going strong and I recently installed a custom rom on it which runs Android Nougat (7). I was also able to slightly increase processor clocks on it to make it as snappy as possible (still not as snappy as it was originally, for obvious reasons) but still pretty usable - apart from the fact that the battery is dead, 3G stopped working on it a while back and most of the latest version of apps on the playstore dont work quite as expected (I need to download older versions of the apps which supported android 7).

Coming to the point - I figured if I could just use the tablet as a secondary display, I would then be able to do the same thing Jay showed above and use it as a sensor panel. After a bit of Googling I arrived at this list of options, and I'm thinking of trying Spacedesk and Splashtop Wired XDisplay. I'm primarily looking for something which will work through USB as opposed to wireless, since I will have to connect through USB anyway to keep the tablet running.
Will update this post with my progress on it.

Has anybody tried doing something similar? If so any helpful input/pointers on what I should be looking at would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance

~~~~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turns out it is a lot easier than I initially anticipated, there are a plethora of tutorials on YouTube for this specific task and it barely took me 10mins to setup.

I used Spacedesk for the wireless display + Aida64 sensorpanel for metrics. There are also multiple sensorpanel profiles that are user generated and this lets us simply pick and choose the ones that looks best and import them

Definitely a great use of an old unused Android tablet.

TBD: Mounting it within the PC Cabinet

IMG_20220313_234158.jpg

Last edited:
Back