Using internet on both pcs

rockinruler

Disciple
Hi,
I've got two desktops at my home.
Is there any way I can connect them both and share the one internet connection that I have ?
PS : I'm using Fivenet's Connection (Mumbai) using a pppoe dialer

u need to do that in the way of server clinet as its a dial up connection :)
and to use net on client pc , server is to be on with net connent and then shared :)

hope may have gave u an idea ;)

You are in Bridge mode atm. Change your router settings to get into PPPoE mode, then you won't have to dial, your net will be always ON, and both PC's can connect.

I'm sorry, may be I wasn't entirely clear before.

I don't have the two desktops connected atm, but I want to, only for the purpose of sharing the net connection.

Also, I don't have any router. Just the CAT5 cable connected to my lancard.

Now can you elaborate a little as in to what I must do, please ?

Or could you give me some link or some keywords to search ?

Thanks a lot for looking!

a. you can get a router, it will log on to the 5net connection for you and the internet will be shared among the pcs connected to the router.

both pcs can use net at the same time.

b. if you dont want to get a router u can get a switch, one pc will log on to the net and will share the connection with the other pc through proxy.

both pcs can use net at the same time but a bit messy.

c. if you dont want to get switch then, if your pc has 2 lan cards you can bridge them and share the internet though a proxy or leave it unbridged ans share through ICS.

both pcs can use net at the same time but super messy.

i'd suggest you get a router.

where is your other computer located?

if its far away from the first pc then just get a wifi router and a wifi card, will set you back by around 2k.

tejo said:
where is your other computer located?
if its far away from the first pc then just get a wifi router and a wifi card, will set you back by around 2k.
I can put both of them in the same room.
My i7 machine has an onboard lan card
And the other one - p4 machine has an onboard card, as well as an external card.
So I'll need to purchase a cat5 cable to connect the two right ?
And will I always have to connect first through my p4 machine to use net on my i7 machine ?

If you want to use internet on both pcs at the same time then put the main cat5 in the p4 pc's 1st lan card and connect the 2nd lan card of the p4 pc to the i7 pc using another cat5.

Enable ICS for the 2nd lan card on the p4 pc via the 5net pppoe connection and you're done.

If you want to use the internet on only the i7 pc at any given time then just unplug the cat5 from the p4 pc and plug it into the i7 pc and connect directly via pppoe dialer, this will save you the trouble of turning on the p4 pc just to use internet on the i7 pc.

I am using ICS on my download PC & gaming rig. No switch involved. The download PC is in third floor & has two LAN cards (Onboard gigabit + 10/100 PCI LAN). Gaming PC is in my room on the second floor... MODEM is connected to the PCI Lan Card & onboard gigabit LAN is connected to my gaming PC's gigabit LAN (Onboard) using a CAT6 Crossover Cable. The gaming rig is headless so no monitor, keyboard or mouse. I use UltraVNC to control it over the network using my gaming rig...

Its not very complicated but may be for someone who tries it for the first time. By the way I am using WinXP on my download rig & Win7 Ultimate on my gaming rig.. :hap2:

Using a switch is the simplest & cheapest way around though... You don't need both PC's running at the same time & each PC can access Internet separately, together or singularly..

In my case my download rig should be running in order for my gaming PC to access the internet... Its no problem since my download rig is on 24x7...

It sure is the cheapest way forward.... :)

HailStonE said:
I am using ICS on my download PC & gaming rig. No switch involved. The download PC is in third floor & has two LAN cards (Onboard gigabit + 10/100 PCI LAN). Gaming PC is in my room on the second floor... MODEM is connected to the PCI Lan Card & onboard gigabit LAN is connected to my gaming PC's gigabit LAN (Onboard) using a CAT6 Crossover Cable. The gaming rig is headless so no monitor, keyboard or mouse. I use UltraVNC to control it over the network using my gaming rig...

Its not very complicated but may be for someone who tries it for the first time. By the way I am using WinXP on my download rig & Win7 Ultimate on my gaming rig.. :hap2:

Using a switch is the simplest & cheapest way around though... You don't need both PC's running at the same time & each PC can access Internet separately, together or singularly..

In my case my download rig should be running in order for my gaming PC to access the internet... Its no problem since my download rig is on 24x7...

It sure is the cheapest way forward.... :)
Using a switch he would still require to host a proxy server as both pcs cannot use the pppoe connection at the same time, so the switch would be useless. Its better if he gets a wifi router. It wouldnt cost that much more than a switch anyways and wouldnt require a proxy.

I think the OP just wants to get it done with using a cat5 cable, the ultra cheap way forward :p

tejo said:
I think the OP just wants to get it done with using a cat5 cable, the ultra cheap way forward :p
Bull's eye! :D

I'll try this setup in a couple of days.

Thanks for the replies hailstone, tejo, prince and pernicious :)

i can give you my solution, i took a n series router from netgear and got a USB network adapter , for 2400/-, and told my 5net provider to reset my ip, configured the router and the network adapter , took me 15mins to configure and 1/2 hr for my provider to reset my ip, in all, ready to go in 2 hrs flat.....

n yeah 5net FTW 4 thier super cheap plans :D

Hi, I am on 5net connection also. My new laptop arrives tomorrow. So, with 5net, I dont need modem+router, right? A router such as a cheapo Belkin G would work?

Also, what router did you buy Pratz? Can you give me the model no. and price, please?

Back