Using two internet accounts from one LAN wire ??

My ISP is Railwire and they provide the LAN wire directly to my home , which on connection with LAN card gets assigned the private ip address of 172.xx.xx.xx , i use PPPoE with username and password to connect to the service ..

I was thinking if i buy a lan switch and use that incoming LAN wire in the lan switch , will i be able to get my other two laptops the private ip addresses 172.xx.xx.xx , so that i can pppoe different accounts from both the laptops to get separate internet connections (since i wil be getting a new low price account too , so avoiding the installation charges)

or the lan switch will assign different private netwok ip's to the systems (192.xx.xx.xx) ?

Thanks !!

i have similar connection, I use dlink router... with that get wired + wifi connection for all my devices...
if your ISP registers mac id then after installing router you need to provide its mac id to them...

Do you need more than one internet account ?

If not, just get a wifi router.

i have similar connection, I use dlink router... with that get wired + wifi connection for all my devices...
if your ISP registers mac id then after installing router you need to provide its mac id to them...
my isp doesn't registers mac addresses , please read the following for detailed explanation !

i have two internet accounts with different username and passwords ,
so i was thinking instead of getting another LAN wire from ISP ,
i could somehow split that LAN wire into two and get the ip addresses assigned by the ISP DHCP i.e 172.xx.xx.122 and 172.xx.xx.123 (example)
then i can use the PpPOE on both different laptos to get two different internets ..

I already have a TP-LINK w8968 , router+modem , it has the LAN wire as input and and PPpoe enabled to get the wireless internet access but that makes my laptops behind
the DHCP of TP LINK , not the ISP ..

so the diagram is like this

my current config
ISP DHCP -> TP - LINK gets 172.xx.xx.123 assigned (example) -> PPPOE (first user accounr and password) -> WIFI internet access

what i want
ISP DHCP -> NIC of laptop | gets 172.xx.xx.122 -> use PPPoe on laptop with first username and password -> Internet access
-> NIC of laptop | gets 172.xx.xx.123-> use PPPoe on laptop with second username and password -> Internet access

thats the part , i want the ISP DHCP to assign the ip address (which is automatically done when you connect the wire to any device)
so its like splitting the lan wire to get two 172.xx.xx.122/123 address to use different accounts separately.

thats what i want to know if i use a switch , will my laptops will get assigned the ip address via the ISP or thy will use the APIPA network method to get different private subnet ?

Thanks !!

If you have two accounts and a single Ethernet wire, then yes, you can use a lan switch to give you more LAN ports and you can use two wires for two different connections.

Since you want to connect both laptops simultaneously to the net, its possible.

They will get APIPA addresses by default - the PPPoE dialup will assign the 172 subnet address.

I currently have 2 accounts on a single connection as well. Both are from same ISP so switching from 1 account to another is just changing the username/ password & restarting the router.

But as for what you are looking for, its not possible.... If you have a single cable connection you can only be logged in with a single account.. so having other laptop with a different login will not work in my opinion.

Back