Very slow browsing and direct downloads, but fast torrents

cyberjack

Disciple
Hi All,

i recently got BSNL broadband connection, since the day it got activated, browsing and direct downloads are very slow while torrents get downloaded at full speed ( not at the same time, i close torrents while browsing).

Tested on :

Beetel 450TC1 Router

Windows 7 Dell XPS 1530 laptop, Macbook Pro, Galaxy S2, Iphone 5

Browsing / Direct downloads is slow in all the above devices, by searching this forum and google for the last couple of days, i tried below things -

1. using Google / Open DNS
2. Different wifi channel (11) , changing beacon interval to 1000ms
3. DHCP is enabled, configured specific IP on each laptop.
4. tried both LAN and WAN, both has terrible browsing speed.
5. BSNL technician came and checked, couldnt help much.
6. changed MTU settings based on the fragmentation rate, 1465 is current setting.
7. SNR and attenuation in line seems to be ok, with SNR around 28, Attenuation around 30 ( exchange is some 3 Kms )

i am in office right now, will post the stats once back to home, if any one has any idea what might be wrong, please give inputs :)

Did you check downloading via IDM? Set it to make 8 concurrent connections and try downloading a 1080p video from YouTube.

Are you able to stream YouTube videos?

Torrents use multiple concurrent connections which will help you to max out your connection.

If the browsing experience is not good, it generally means the quality of the internet connection is not good. Maybe due to oversubscription or overloaded routers/switches. Ideally if the connection quality is excellent and the source server is not limiting your speed, you should be able to max out your connection even in a single threaded download. But it rarely happens with Indian ISPs.

This is an inherent problem with BSNL, usual browsing or downloads are painfully slow. Im trying to download new version for my iPhone on itunes since Yesterday, the process gets cancelled due to slow speeds.

AVOID BSNL.

Is there any difference between downloading via torrents and http/ftp downloading ?. If there is one, changing the MTU size will help ?

I had the same problem as OP when I got a new wi-fi router. Had issues like slow loading of web pages, incomplete loeading etc. Changing the MTU size helped. Though torrent speeds were not a problem.

Back