Very Strange Ethernet Problem

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
I had a Huawei MT882 Modem and a Netgear WGR614 v7 WiFi Router on an MTNL connection , now yesterday i got a call from MTNL that under a promotion scheme they were offering a Wireless Modem(TrendChip HG520) for the same rent as my modem so i asked them to get it , now i have installed the modem and the net is working fine through WiFi but it doesnt work through my PC(Wired Connection) , when i connect the router cum modem and my PC there is a green light blinking in both and the modem shows a device connected but the PC doesnt seem to recognize it , i tried both ubuntu and linux mint but in both it didnt see any device on eth0 . The strange part is that when i connected my Netgear to the Wireless Modem and my PC to the netgear , it worked , so i cant seem to figure out whats gone bad ?

The CAT-5 cable is fine since it works between Wifi router an PC

The PC's LAN port is fine since it works with the router and there is a light

Even the wireless modem is fine because when i connected my laptop to it through the cable , the laptop recognized it

Any Ideas ?

Currently i have the PC connected to the Netgear WiFi router which is connected to the wireless modem and internet is working fine

on linux try adding "blacklist ipv6" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file and reboot? some routers have problems if ipv6 packets happen to flow thru...

not familiar with this model, so in the working connection, can you browse around the router's config webpages to see if any interesting setting might cause this issue?

Um Er , doesnt MTNL use IPv6 ?
Also , it works on Xp on the same machine so atleast its not a hardware thingy
ill still try what you said and report back

i dont believe MTNL uses ipv6 :D they would be a world leader if they did! heh

so in windows you have "automatically obtain IP" and in linux also you have DHCP and not a static IP enabled?

if you have DHCP/autoIP enabled in the OS then you need DHCP enabled on the router of course...

Yes , I have DHCP enabled in the router and in both windows and linux

after applying the blacklist in ubuntu , it tries to obtain an IP and after 5 mins says Network Disconnected

anything in the logs? /var/log/messages or syslog some such file?

try disabling and re-enabling the connection after you are logged into ubuntu, so that it retries the DHCP request... some googling and it seems some cheap routers do have DHCP issues...

Back