Very Very weird problem, its driving me insane

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
Hey Guys,

I'm having a really weird problem, and its driving me near insane, i have net connection from airtel a ver old plan of 128kbps unlimited package. recently for last 15 days i'm having this problem, when i start my computer n start pinging the DNS i can get pages together of unhindered pings unless i start some application that begins to access internet, then i start getting RTOs here n there, now what has been happening for last few days is i don't get any RTOs while i'm browsing or downloading, thou the speed is slow, but when i start any of the messenger applications like skype, yahoo or oovoo, i sign in i get a couple of RTOs, then when i start a voice chat, RTOs increase and when i start the webcam just too many RTOs to even sustain the call. i have reinstalled XP, reloaded the drivers, newly installed everything but yet no solution. I Don't know what to do now. I'm hoping u guys can shed some light on this problem

Best Rgds
BJ

Arun.P

Warning: Do Not Trade
Skilled
Jul 24, 2007
change the plans u 2 mbps basic or 512 kbps ulimted

cause u speed is 128 kbps it transfer speed slower :p so get better speed upto 256-512 kbps

or check the router and change the dns service if some DNS are slow down ;)

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
dude i hv been using this for 2 years now, never had a problem once, so i don't think speed is the issue

techfreak

Adept
Jun 19, 2007
Try reconfiguring the modem also update the firmware for the latest one if nothing helps try calling CC (may be pblm from backend server)

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Was about to ask the same :)

How old is the modem ?

I'm on my 3rd one now, seems the lifetime is approx 15 months if left 24/7.

THo have to clarify that my problem was the asdl link light dropping for no apparent reason, so keep an eye on it and if so then its time to replace the modem.

Airtel have a option 'Modem not working' when you go through thier CC voice menus, you will get more receptive service with this option than the more general internet not working option, which if one is to be fair is a harder problem to diagnose.

TEUser2K1

Skilled
Jul 16, 2007
Mumbai
Hi,

Check your modem and its firmware first.

Then ensure your pc is without viruses /hidden unrecognised trojans. They too cause similar problems.

Reactions: 1 person

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
hey guys,

Thx heaps for your interest to help me, yes guys, i hv been thinking of resetting and reconfiguring the modem, not sure if a new firmware is available.

Yes iq its 220bx, and i got with the connection and never changed it, but let me tell u this, i had similar problem as that of blr_p (link dropping) and had complained to cc and the technician came n gave me a old dlink 502T which worked good for a while and then gave same problem, then i switched back to 220bx n its been working good for ages now, since this problem had started i also did try to check if the problem persists with 502T and yea the problem did persist.

I really doubt having a virus of spyware coz i just wiped my computer clean and reinstalled OS and all other stuff.

So still not able to corner the cause, anyways i'm gonna try n reset the modem n check if it does the trick, will keep u guys updated, thx again guys

Best Rgds

BJ

Reactions: 1 person

techfreak

Adept
Jun 19, 2007
Me using the dlink 502t from 3 years without any issue :D

How abt changing the cables (usb ,ethernet and RJ 11)
Goodluck on that dude

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
hey tech, thx for the reply, i did that too earlier, but yet same results, but anyways for now everything seems to hv sorted out on its own, i'm not having any problem for now, but there is this new problem now, i use skype for video chatting and now while i'm video chatting the webcam freezes after a while and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in for it to work again, then it works good for a while n then same problem n the same solution, i can't understand why this is happening now, and hey i also found this system service called "Netpkr", any idea what that is?? there is no description of this service anywhere in windows.