CPU/Mobo VFM mobo to go with my AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

nanoneo

Adept
I'm building a PC after years. The last time I did, the radeon 9800 was the card to beat! So forgive me if I'm a little out of touch.

Am building a media rig with some casual gaming throw in with following config:
AMD Phenom II X2 550
HD4670 512MB DDR-III
Gigabyte 460W SMPS: Rs :2,200.00 --> Will be buying this from lynx.

Now,I'm really confused about which motherboard to get. I won't be overclocking much if at all, but I wouldn't mind an unlocked core if I can get it.

Is there honestly no mobo nowdays that comes with out integrated GFX? Times have changed.

Anyway, I'm on tight budget with the mobo. I'm tempted to go for the Biostar TA790GXB but it's a little over my budget. How good is the Biostar TA780G Mobo and what is its availability?

Go for the Biostar 790GX mobo, it'll give you better integrated gfx than the 780G (if you're going for a discrete card) and might be able to unlock cores as well. I think the non-sideport version costs around 4.5k

Yes, but I don't need integrated gfx. Like I mentioned above I'm also getting a Radeon HD4670. Does the 790G chipset offer any other advantages?

How about the Nvidia chipsets? Are they comparable?

Stick to AMD Chipset they offer better VFM and performance. nvidia has a new chipset 980 for AMD but haven't seen any reviews yet..

A 790FX will be costly, stick to 790GX you already have 4670 so no use of IGP :p

Right! Will stick to an AMD chipset.

Now, I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but from what I've read there is very little difference between the 790G and the 780G chipset, save for the onboard GFX. Apparently 790 also has a better onboard audio. Is there anything else I'm missing?

@the mods: Apologies for the imprecise and misspelled thread title, was just about to edit it.

Don't think the 780G with SB710 Southbridge is available in India. Anyway, I'm off to Nehru Place tomorrow, will make some inquires.

Since you’re going for the 4670, I presume you are on budget. There aren’t any budget discrete graphics boards available. )I’m surprised too). So, you either gotta go for the 790GX or the 780G. The 790GX comes with better graphics but makes no sense in your case since you already will have the 4670. So, go for a MoBo based on the 780G chipset. It's a shame that you can't unlock cores with this MoBo though.

That's right, this is budget system, Hence all the confusion. I'll probably get the 790GX now, as I'm stretching my budget a little. Though I could also save a 1000 odd bucks by getting the 780G and perhaps investing it the GFX card or something.

Damn! I'm really confused now

Go with the 790GX as the batch 0922amp version of the phenom II 550 and the biostar 790GX boards has a reasonable unlocking record... So you can convert your 2 cores to a quad core setup..... :) No harm in giving it a try when it doesnt cost you very much in excess :)

Back