VFM smartphone:~20k

naru80

Disciple
Does it make sense to go for an iphone 3gs (@ Rs19,990) now?

Or should i go for a Samsung Galaxy R (also for Rs19,990)?

I was using a BB curve till now, which suddenly died on me. Now I'm dying to lay my hands on a larger screen and better apps :)
These are the two I've shortlisted.

I have absolutely no clue about LG or HTC. Is there something I should be looking there?

Will buy during the weekend.

I would recommend the LG Optimus Black, also take a look at Galaxy S Plus. I personally prefer the S Plus since it has a 4 inch screen, Android Gingerbread and 1.4GHz processor and 512MB RAM.

Avoid the Iphone 3gs, since this is currently the oldest supported device from Apple, and am sure within 6 month upgrades will stop being compatible.

Galaxy R lacks an accelerometer. Pardon my ignorance, but what's that for?

Also, i suffer from a serious case of butter fingers. Should i be looking at a lower spec phone (like the Galaxy S plus) but with Gorilla glass?

Bhutoria_1989 said:
@naru80 Lacking an accelerometer is not possible at this price range. To clear your doubt check the specs here.

Samsung I9103 Galaxy R - Full phone specifications

Don't go for S Plus as its not VFM and it won't get ICS update whereas SGR will get ICS.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also take a look at O2X as it has better camera Full HD recording and Community Support :)

Thanks -- my mistake.

What about the Gorilla glass?? I'm really prone to dropping my phone

@OP
Since you have butter fingers :) Why don't you check out motorola defy or defy+? It's a rugged phone... I'm not very sure about ICS update though... But defy is officially supported by CyanogenMod, so you *might* get an ICS update.

Regards,
Nj

Defy is the one to go for buttery fingers. Just remember it is not shatter proof or anything. Drop it on concrete and it will break into a few pieces like any other phone. Esp that screen. Even if it's a gorilla. And also choose a defy over defy plus. Same phone at cheaper price. Camera sucks pretty much in both the phones.

@naru80 I just wish to clarify that no phone will sustain continuous falls unless it is meant for such purpose.
Just because Gorilla Glass will protect the screen as screen being the most sensitive part doesn't mean that the phone is sturdy. A phone has lots of moving parts inside which will definitely be affected with falls over a period of time. Occasional falls and regular falls are different while most phones will bear occasional falls but regular falls will be sustained only by devices that are meant for such abuse like Samsung Marine etc.
I wish that you start taking care of your phone as it will facilitate decision making :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

So, finally, between Galaxy R and O2X, which is the one for

1 rough usage

2 ease of use

3 interface

4 features

5 sound quality (i heard some galaxy models have a much superior speaker -- can anyone confirm?)

Will never do anything from "unofficial" channels, so dev support is not at all a consideration.

1 rough usage: O2x (gorilla glass)
2 ease of use: both
3 interface: your choice- stock Android or TouchWiz. I prefer stock Android, so O2x
4 features: O2x (better camera, HDMI, etc...)
5 sound quality (i heard some galaxy models have a much superior speaker -- can anyone confirm?) Cant comment on this.

About the better audio quality on some Galaxy models, i guess you are talking about Galaxy S with Wolfson DAC, which has very good audio quality. I am not sure that the R has it.

Back