Monitors VGA to RCA converter for watching tv on monitor using set top box ?

zktel

Disciple
Hi,

I recenty Bought BenQ G2420 Full HD Monitor.

Can i use VGA to RCA converter to connect my TATA Sky SD connection to watch TV on it.

Getting audio output is easy as Female RCA to Female 3.5mm Audio Jack will do.

only problem is VIDEO Display.

will i get video display by connecting that converter to my monitor.

please help me out in this problem.

vga-to-rca-cable-5

Re: Help...VGA to RCA converter for watching tv on monitor using set top box

No, it wont work, had tried it. You will need a TV tuner for that. Me currently using a external tuner to watch TS SD on my monitor.

This is the problem i had, read that post and also go through the whole thread as its related to your query. Here is another thread related to the same query.

The cable was fine, but it needed a component video out from the STB to work and TS STB only has composite out (i hope i havent mixed up component and composite here :ashamed:). Thats why it had that greenish tinge.

@eterno mind
Tata sky has a composite video(lower yellow) and audio out as seen in this pic
95351_back.jpg

RCA to VGA cable should work i guess

sufyan86 said:
@eterno mind

Tata sky has a component video and audio out as seen in this pic

95351_back.jpg

RCA to VGA cable should work i guess
Hhmm, the Tata Sky SD box i have doesnt have it. And i bought only last week :(. Anyways, even if it does work PQ will not be the best due to the absence of a deinterlacing mechanism in the monitor which normal TVs have.

EDIT: It is indeed the shot of a TATA Sky + STB and not the normal SD one.

This pic is of tata sky plus,I guess.It's I/O is looking like a PC,LOL.Can't say about the VGA-RCA,but looks like S-video to VGA cable might work.Yes am pretty sure it'll work.Try it out if you have a S-video OUT on your TATA sky.

Some of the tata sky(sd) stbs have composite out too along with component.

Out of the two go with component as it will give you better picture quality

All of these STB's have internal tuners, so you don't need a separate TV tuner to watch TV with these.

The Tata Sky (SD) STB that I have at home has a composite connection. I hooked it to the Composite in of my Dell 2007WFP and had no issues watching TV with nothing else required.

The STB pictured in eTernoMind's post is Tata Sky HD from what I can guess based on the outputs. From what I can see, it has both Component and Composite outputs. To connect Component to VGA, a simple Component to VGA cable will not do. Those cables are meant for a different purpose. What you need is a proper conversion box that converts the Component YPrPb to RGBHV that is properly interpreted by a Monitor via VGA. Basically you will need some thing like this

Buy XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box (PS2 & NGC & Xbox & PS3 & XB360 & Wii & Sony PSP Slim & Lite) - Play-Asia.com

I guess what eTernoMind did in his case is to get a TV Tuner box and use it a composite/component to VGA converter. He is not using the Tuner capabilities at all.

If i am buying Tata sky HD
Then i hope my problem will get solved then No Tv tunner card wil be required.
No Video and Audio Issue
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Lord Nemesis said:
All of these STB's have internal tuners, so you don't need a separate TV tuner to watch TV with these.

This line of thought is what made me try the whole thing initially. As in where STBs are connected to the normal CRT TVs in AV mode.

The Tata Sky (SD) STB that I have at home has a composite connection. I hooked it to the Composite in of my Dell 2007WFP and had no issues watching TV with nothing else required.

So since the composite-in was native to your Dell, no conversion was needed, it simply relayed the video from the STB. But it was done at the STB's standard resolution (576i) and not at the native resolution of your LCD (1680x1050). So definitely image quality wouldnt have been that good. A TV tuner upscales the picture to the LCD's native resolution. The BOX Genie i have supports resolutions upto 1680x1050. A good quality TV tuner has better image processing ability and upscaler and the deinterlacer which provides the LCD with a progressive scan signal (most STB's in India relay interlaced signals). Monitors with component/composite input dont have as good deinterlacers as a good TV tuner and hence PQ will be inferior to a setup which uses a TV Tuner.

The STB pictured in eTernoMind's post is Tata Sky HD from what I can guess based on the outputs. From what I can see, it has both Component and Composite outputs. To connect Component to VGA, a simple Component to VGA cable will not do. Those cables are meant for a different purpose. What you need is a proper conversion box that converts the Component YPrPb to RGBHV that is properly interpreted by a Monitor via VGA.
Nah, if you are referring to the shot of the back of the STB then thats not mine. Another member posted that to show TATA Sky STBs has component out as well.

Cost is prohibitive.

I guess what eTernoMind did in his case is to get a TV Tuner box and use it a composite/component to VGA converter. He is not using the Tuner capabilities at all.

Thats true. The conversion work is done by the external TV tuner along with upscaling and deinterlacing of the incoming signal from the STB.

zktel said:
If i am buying Tata sky HD

Then i hope my problem will get solved then No Tv tunner card wil be required.

No Video and Audio Issue

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Yes. Tata Sky HD has a HDMI out which you can connect directly to your 2420. Just make some provision for the sound as in your monitor has very average speakers. No TV tuner card will be required. I am not able to find the link to a post from IBF where a user had posted screenshots of his Samsung LCD monitor connected to a Tata Sky HD through HDMI. PQ was great, full HD.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

This is the link i was talking about, but it was Airtel DTH HD and not TS HD :ashamed:. The monitor (Samsung P2350) was hooked up to the HD STB through HDMI.

eternoMind said:
So since the composite-in was native to your Dell, no conversion was needed, it simply relayed the video from the STB. But it was done at the STB's standard resolution (576i) and not at the native resolution of your LCD (1680x1050). So definitely image quality wouldnt have been that good. A TV tuner upscales the picture to the LCD's native resolution. The BOX Genie i have supports resolutions upto 1680x1050. A good quality TV tuner has better image processing ability and upscaler and the deinterlacer which provides the LCD with a progressive scan signal (most STB's in India relay interlaced signals). Monitors with component/composite input dont have as good deinterlacers as a good TV tuner and hence PQ will be inferior to a setup which uses a TV Tuner.
That is where you are wrong. Don't go putting the Dell Ultrasharps in the same league as the cheap TN Panel Monitors that pretend to be TV's with the addition of composite and component inputs. The internal scaler in my Monitor is pretty good. The image quality was fantastic despite being SD. It was far better than the CRT that it was hooked to earlier and in fact in some ways, I would rate it better than the 32" LED TV that is hooked to the same connection now. No cheap 2~3k TV Tuner can better that sort of quality. In addition my display also has options to maintain the aspect ratio of the input or even go 1:1 pixel ratio on the picture.

Lord Nemesis said:
That is where you are wrong. Don't go putting the Dell Ultrasharps in the same league as the cheap TN Panel Monitors that pretend to be TV's with the addition of composite and component inputs.

Point taken, i didnt have a reference (Ultrasharps like yours) to say that and said that for TN Panel Monitors only, after all the OP owns a TN panel BenQ HD2420 while i have the Dell ST2210L. So an external/internal TV tuner is a must for use with a STB (unless one opts for HD STB with HDMI out) as it has to upscale and deinterlace the signal, a mechanism our TN panel monitors lack (unlike yours).

The internal scaler in my Monitor is pretty good. The image quality was fantastic despite being SD. It was far better than the CRT that it was hooked to earlier and in fact in some ways, I would rate it better than the 32" LED TV that is hooked to the same connection now. No cheap 2~3k TV Tuner can better that sort of quality.

I am assuming you have seen in action those cheap 2-3K TV tuners to arrive at this conclusion.

In addition my display also has options to maintain the aspect ratio of the input or even go 1:1 pixel ratio on the picture.

Again something i have to depend upon the TV tuner for.

eternoMind said:
I am assuming you have seen in action those cheap 2-3K TV tuners to arrive at this conclusion.

Of course, your assumption is correct. I won't be commenting on the TV Tuners if I hadn't seen them in action. TV Tuners like those are built with the assumption that the Tuner is the primary functionality. Additional Input options like Composite and Component connectors are extras that can be compromised on. Unless you are going for products like the one linked to whose primary functionality is the conversion or alternatively products whose primary functionality are geared to record video off such connections, you can't really expect the quality to be better. Same goes for the TN Panel displays which do have composite inputs where is it just an extra that can be compromised on. The Dell Display on the other hand is a premium product whose selling points include not only the S-IPS Panel, but more importantly the quantity/quality of the connectivity and the plethora of customization options offered in the OSD.

Back