PC Peripherals Video Capture Card with h/w mpeg-4 to watch DTH/Digital Cable

stormer

Disciple
Hi ppl,

As we move along to the new digital era of broadcast; most of us have shifted to either DTH (T-Sky/DishTV) or Digital Cable (Hathway/many others). With this the TV-Tuner part of our favorite Pinnacles, PixelViews, AvioSys’, and Compros… are no longer required.
All one needs is a good video capture card these days to watch DTH/Digital Cable :!

Now, with tons and loads of experience of you guys, can you help me choose one… :help2:
My wish list includes…

1. Hardware MPEG-4 encoding support (for both capturing and time shifting)
2. Good on chip de-interlacer
3. Price tag not more than Rs. 6000/-

As I am located in Pune… Please suggest any Pune vender.

Thanks.

i was previously using one of the Pinnacle PVR cards.

but since u mentioned u dun need a tv tuner, then maybe u can consider getting a decent graphics card that is VIVO-equipped? and u won't need to take up another PCI slot.

@burnz,

Thanks for the quick reply... Surprisingly I missed out on such a easy solution!

Ok. Now, that I can save this 6k; can you please suggest a VIVO gfx solution for around 10k?

Also, will it be able to take the RCA input or I'll have to shell out a few bucks for a RCA to S-Video converter?

@Verky, I would really love to get one.... Where can I find one in Pune?

@Soulfire, yes u can, but you need a completely different approach. Sometime back I had seen a Serial IR transmitter. You need to train this stuff to transmit the same IR signal as that of the the original remote to your STB. Then couple it up with Girdar and you are done. Lots of tricky stuff though :(

stormer said:
@burnz,

Thanks for the quick reply... Surprisingly I missed out on such a easy solution!

Ok. Now, that I can save this 6k; can you please suggest a VIVO gfx solution for around 10k?

Also, will it be able to take the RCA input or I'll have to shell out a few bucks for a RCA to S-Video converter?

no prob. most of the VIVO gfx cards will come with the video cables e.g. RCA cable, VIVO splitter, YPbPr splitter etc included in the standard package. one example is the ATI X800 GTO VIVO card for example.

but as greenhorn pointed out, it's unlikely that the VIVO gfx cards will do h/w mpeg encoding. these are usually found in the dedicated capture or PVR cards.

i'm confused about this:

how would u watch dth with the video card? isn't the stb with viewer card necessary? or do u plan to attach a cable from the stb to your comp?

this may sound OT but why not buy a dvr and connect it to ur pc monitor? it will have its own 80gb hdd, video tuner (i think dishtv dvr has dual tv tuner and supports upto 6 simultaneous channel capturing), PiP options, etc...

You will have added advantage of not having to keep ur pc on just to record something and will even save electricity, since a dvr standalone wont consume as much power as a fully loaded comp.

its just my opiniion!!

edit: forgot to add this - *:Required third party software

@Google, kwel stuff... checked out the leadtek site... it has a '*' after mpeg-4... what does it means...(conditions apply ;) ) Also, are you sure they are talking about hardware mpeg-4 support?

@6Pack, checked out the pvr from dishTV... It sucks bigtime... its not stable and stucks every now and then... needs to be restarted everytime it hangs... Also, DishTV is broadcasting channels from rival groups at a significantly lower bit rates... sever quality loss is visible.

greenhorn said:
ooh nice :D

from the leadtek site

but any idea why the mpeg4 is starred :huh:

In the printed manual for MPEG4 it states that "The MPEG4 codec can be downloaded from some websites for free. you have to download the codec and use it in your capture profile."

stormer said:
@Google, kwel stuff... checked out the leadtek site... it has a '*' after mpeg-4... what does it means...(conditions apply ;) ) Also, are you sure they are talking about hardware mpeg-4 support?

see above post.

and yes, i'm sure they mean Hardware encoding. just the MPEG4 codec have to be downloaded separately.

@Google, you got it.... '*' holds the key... As you need to download the codecs means its a s/w thing... neways u've got a cool gfx card!

@anirudh, LG can't be an option... how bout time shifting... also I need to cut the commercials out b4 writting a tv show to a dvd!

Google said:
see above post.

and yes, i'm sure they mean Hardware encoding. just the MPEG4 codec have to be downloaded separately.

stormer said:
@Google, you got it.... '*' holds the key... As you need to download the codecs means its a s/w thing... neways u've got a cool gfx card!

My bad.. :ashamed: i just found out that all encoding on gfx cards is software based.. (from a very trustworthy friend)

Back