Linux Video encoding in Ubuntu

arvnd

Disciple
Can anyone suggest a good video encoding software for use under Ubuntu. To be used mostly for encoding movies into ipod touch format (mp4/h.264) and sometimes to xvid/divx.

In windows there are so many point and shoot kind of video encoder softwares, but the going seems a lot tougher in linux.

^^ thanks Gaurish, handbrake should be good enough I guess. I've used windows version before. Anyways installing both.

arvnd said:
^^ thanks Gaurish, handbrake should be good enough I guess. I've used windows version before. Anyways installing both.

Indeed. Handbrake is good, this is what I prefer to use. since you have used a Windows Version, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Since OP talked about encoding in linux, I would really stress on ffmpeg. See if you can milk it according to your own need, its the best, yeah tough though, out there.

+LT

ANy ffmpeg based back-end should do . Try Avidemux as well. It has both Gtk and QT version to make you feel home in KDE/Gnome respectively. Apart from that Handbrake just works for me as well.

Back