All OS Video recording quality on smartphones (strictly 1080p)

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
So as we all know, many phones nowadays especially Android phones get hammered into production with multiple cameras and huge megapixels. But again we are aware that many of these tend to be just quantity and not quality. And these phones are usually advertised for still "photography" but hey they are just ads and we are not sheep. I'm saying these beforehand before someone else comes and spams the obvious. Also this thread is for videos and not still camera photography so please keep that in mind. I've looked into a lot of phones specs, reviews and what not and strongly feel that many of them while they can "technically" (and legally) do what they claim, the actual products are very underwhelming. This is especially true for phones in the budget and mid-range section (should be obvious) which have the most buyers especially in India. Also for obvious legal reasons I won't mention the names or the review sites who try to hide the facts. But one thing is clear, at least to me, that iPhones trounce Android phones in the camera department especially in video recording. I don't think that fact this can be denied. A clarification, I never liked iPhones. The price and battery hours never made sense to me.

Anyway I have a few concerns and one of the main issues is the video stabilization then video quality and so on. My primary use is 1080p recording in 30fps and 60fps. Many phones even those which cost over 20k don't have the option to shoot videos in 60fps. I don't know just how much this feature affects the pricing but its very disappointing nonetheless. And after a long period of thinking I came to the realization that I would need a phone with good video recording capability. I was thinking of getting a handy cam but weight and portability would be a concern in my travels. I would need to carry it when I go the hills and do long hours of trekking. I also thought of getting a decent DSLR but they don't have long battery life and you know the electricity in the rural areas (LOL Modi's 100% village electrification claim btw). For a short while I even considered getting an iPhone 11/12 Pro Max but hory sheet would I burn a huge hole in my pocket. If I can monetize my videos or get some sponsorship it wouldn't be a deal breaker but for now its out of option.

I would like to see a discussion on whatever is involved here and if possible and if you have time I would like to see some video samples in 1080p30 and 1080p60 (if the phone supports it) and should be 1 min minimum. The videos also need to be in motion i.e. not always taken from a stationary position (and shooting moving objects).

Thread will be edited whenever I get into the zone again.

Last edited:
iPhones scores really well in video recording. You don't need the Pro or Pro Max version for shooting 1080p60. Even an old iPhone 8 does an excellent job.

I shoot for my work assignments with iPhone 12 mini. There are some shortcomings in terms of space, battery and image stabilization, etc. In terms of scalability, they are limitless possibilities. You can throw in a gimbal, case battery, 3rd party lens, etc they all work seamlessly.

My setup consists of iPhone 12 mini paired with DJI osmo gimbal + Rode Mic with dead cat + Sandisk iXpand 128GB if I run out of space.

Here's my old setup from 2019 (iPhone 8 with Osmo Gimbal). I'll try to get you updated snaps and recordings once am back home.

Prior to this, I tried with Pixel 2XL + Gimbal, sadly Osmo does not have a stable android app till date.

If you ever want to get into content creation and later monetize, no harm in leaping into Apple eco-system.

1633518484424.png

iPhones scores really well in video recording. You don't need the Pro or Pro Max version for shooting 1080p60. Even an old iPhone 8 does an excellent job.
I want the Pro Max only because of bigger battery.
I shoot for my work assignments with iPhone 12 mini. There are some shortcomings in terms of space, battery and image stabilization, etc. In terms of scalability, they are limitless possibilities. You can throw in a gimbal, case battery, 3rd party lens, etc they all work seamlessly.

My setup consists of iPhone 12 mini paired with DJI osmo gimbal + Rode Mic with dead cat + Sandisk iXpand 128GB if I run out of space.

Here's my old setup from 2019 (iPhone 8 with Osmo Gimbal). I'll try to get you updated snaps and recordings once am back home.

Prior to this, I tried with Pixel 2XL + Gimbal, sadly Osmo does not have a stable android app till date.

If you ever want to get into content creation and later monetize, no harm in leaping into Apple eco-system.

View attachment 116438
Thanks for sharing.

^ Or even the Osmo Pocket 2. I borrowed one for a day, feels like an upgrade from my gimbal setup.

@iPwnz You might want to further break down the use case? Like Vlog, short 5-6 mins of landscape videos, timelapse, lengthy recording, etc

I feel this is the right balance of being lightweight, exclusive for recording videos, expandable storage, and stable. Quality may not necessarily be at the iPhone level but close enough.

Pocket 2 sample (not mine, there is a bit of post-processing work)

iPhone 12 sample (also not mine), bit saturated, just love the colors.

Have you thought about using a Go Pro or an action cam instead. It's very popular with many Youtubers.
Yes. But I was advised against it by some friends who own it for its very high cost, unreliability and service.
BTW I want something not just for youtube thingy tbh. More of a general purpose cam.
@iPwnz You might want to further break down the use case? Like Vlog, short 5-6 mins of landscape videos, timelapse, lengthy recording, etc
Many of them will be long to very long. Like hours. Hence I mentioned long battery life.
I'm curious, is there any Android phone for say 30k which can shoot "good" quality videos? Any comments from OnePlus, LG and Huawei phone owners?

Last edited:
Look for phones from LG and Samsung from a couple years. Specifically look for the models with a 12 MP sensor and OIS. For a very long time Pixel and Samsung stuck to using a 12MP Sony sensor with OIS. I believe since Galaxy S7, the footage is very stable. If you find a model under 3 years old, you could get its battery renewed from Samsung care.

Secondly on olx and quikr search for Gopro Hero 2018. This is usually quite inexpensive and is essentially a soft-locked Hero 5 Black. It can be firmware flashed to a fully functional Hero 5 Black. For 1080p the quality and stabilization are excellent.

Back