Video too blocky.

rahuljawale

Patron
I have sold two AMD + Krypton C18G machines to my friends. Both are experiencing same problem of blocky video playback. Even the DVD-rip versions appear blocky. I have tried every other codec pack available but no use.
Codec Packs used
X-Codec Pack
XP Codec PAck
Nimo's Codec Pack
Dr. DivX + DivX Pro

BTW here is the system configuration

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ / Sempron 2400+
Krypton C18G 400 with Latest BIOS update
512 MB Kingston DDR400/333
Onboard GF4 MX
Windows XP SP2
Windows Media Player 10
Real Player

I have tried all the video players available to me. Even tried settings in ffdshow codec library. No use. Please guys help me out. :S This problem is eating out my brains. :huh:

Try using video lan client for playback of files. Another thing to check would be the video drivers. Install the latest ones. Also make sure that the videos you are playing are low res.

If still things dont work then you shud uninstall the codecs, clean them and then do a install of all the necessary codecs separately.

You may also want to play with your display resalution. Try 800 x 600.

Are you trying to watch the video in full screen ?

Could you show us a screen shot of the properties of the video file you are trying to watch ?

there are several reasons for blocky playback.
If the original media was scratched a bit then it cause problems.
The bitrate you are using for encoding.
And also make sure you have enabled AGP fastwrites and Side band addressing.
Many people disable them for stability but it cause adverse effect on video playback.

Just my very recent experience...(too many friends :p)

My friend had an old pc with blocky video.. amd II 450 MHz...installed xp (he had 2k), still there..

Tried Vlc (videolan), Still there...

Installed an old version of windvd (think windvd 4), viola...the problem gone...and videos began running really smooth...

Thanks guys for your kind suggestions. But the problem is solved. I formatted on machine [ there are two machines with same configs ]. And installed XP with latest Video Drivers [ nVidia 71.84 whql on GF4 MX onboard ] without any external codecs. So the quality was as natural as it can be. Upon installing DivX codec , the quality improved further with crispy clear picture. Note that I didnot install XP SP2 on this machine.
So I recon the problem as SP2 installation. Or could it be use of external codecs? I am experimenting further with First machine which still has the same problem. I will post the exact cause of the problem in 2 or 3 days. Till then , have a good time guys.

Thanx again.

while I forgot to mention , first system still has XP SP2 and nVidia 44.xx along with some non-existent codecs like DivX 4.11 and Xvid 1.x.x which even after uninstalling/removing show up again in Device manager.

Oh man. HEre are the results. Fresh XP install displays movies without any graining or blockyness [ i used Divx 5.21 ] . But as soon as I install DirectX 9.0 or any of its upper versions , the movie becomes blocky and hell blocky. It's is not the SP2 problem anymore. The part of it DirectX 9.0 is the prblem.

Help me guys , please help me. I am dying.

try changing graphics drivers/mobo drivers,update codecs there are a lot of things u can do before changing your gfx card

Back