Videocon to start 4k HD DTH service

6pack

ex-Mod
UHD has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution and four times as many pixels overall as compared to the 1080p HDTV format.
Videocon d2h, adirect-to-home (DTH) service provider, has announced plans to introduce 4KUltra HDDTH service to have an edge over its rivals. The company, on Thursday, conducted alive preview of these services.
The 4KUltra HDDTH services would be available commercially soon, the company said adding that it would be the first Indian DTH company to do so.
4KUltra HDresolution comprises 3840 pixels x 2160p lines (8.3 megapixels, aspect ratio 16:9). UHD has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution and four times as many pixels overall as compared to the 1080p HDTV format.
“This technology enables image clarity with fine detail, greater texture and an almost photographic emulsion of smoothness. A 4Kdisplay reveals much more details, with results that can be astonishing.
This provides amore immersive experience, bringing to life spacious wildlife panoramas as well as offering the most detailed action of asports game,” the company said.
“4KUltra HDis the latest innovation in viewing technology. We have successfully previewed the service and demonstrated our capabilities,” Saurabh Dhoot, Director, Videocon, said at apress conference.
“4KDTH services will revolutionise viewing in this country. It will provide images with so much clarity, finer detailing and nuances that the differences will be unbelievable. We are hopeful that we will be able to enhance the overall viewing experience through our product portfolios and service offerings,” said Anil Khera, CEO, Videocon d2h.

Source: m.thehindu.com/business/Industry/videocon-to-launch-4k-ultra-hd-service/article6174453.ece/?secid=2784

Wow. But will the source be in 4k?
SD ---> 4k = eye bleed.

Tata is going to do UHD ie 4K with the HEVC (H.265) codec. Now that would be great, but your wallet wont be so happy.
Hevc is not fully completed and I've read on Doom9 that its not worth the trouble to encode in that format. Takes lots more time than h264 to encode on a pc. Wonder how stb will decode the streams. I've heard some company (I think mediatek ) has made a h265 hardware encoder/ decoder chip.

First attain almost near perfection in 1080i then jump to this 4K wagon . Indian companies never learn, doing this just for the PR sake.

Hevc is not fully completed and I've read on Doom9 that its not worth the trouble to encode in that format. Takes lots more time than h264 to encode on a pc. Wonder how stb will decode the streams. I've heard some company (I think mediatek ) has made a h265 hardware encoder/ decoder chip.

H265 is new, and it is probably a PR stunt. I got the news through the local grapevine.

As for jumping to H 265 and the troubles, it is an issue with PCs. I see no issue with ASICs if they have made it.[DOUBLEPOST=1404481195][/DOUBLEPOST]
Knowing Tata Sky, they'll probably start it as an 'Active' service at a charge of 500 Rs/month.

one time cost of hardware stb of about 20K + 1K per month is what I was thinking about.

I have used Videocon HD but then moved to DishTv HD. Videocon had fewer true HD channels and the upscaled ones looked weird on my TV. Dishtv is still not the best but initial cost is affordable and there's more true HD channels in the package (about 25 or so). Then there's 50+ upscaled-to-HD channels which looks better than the upscaled ones on Videocon.

But I would agree with the Fenix here..
First attain almost near perfection in 1080i then jump to this 4K wagon . Indian companies never learn, doing this just for the PR sake.

First provide good HD channels, then move to anything higher than that. Its like what they are doing with mobile internet, I mean we dont have any good 3G plans in here yet and companies have jumped to 4G bandwagon o_O

Last edited:
I have used Videocon HD but then moved to DishTv HD. Videocon had fewer true HD channels and the upscaled ones looked weird on my TV. Dishtv is still not the best but initial cost is affordable and there's more true HD channels in the package (about 25 or so). Then there's 50+ upscaled-to-HD channels which looks better than the upscaled ones on Videocon.

I am using Videocon HD but I am only aware of some 20 something true HD channels. What is this upscaled HD you mentioned? Thanks

Back