PC Peripherals Viewsonic VA1912W: To Buy or not to Buy

greenhorn said:
no mate i live in an almost village... I'm far, FAR away from the nearest transformer. same thing happens if i switch on an iron or a heater. and the entire house dims slightly :(

FIRSTLY .... want to trade places :)... I word luv to stay along the backwaters of Glorious Kerala. Been there and luved it :clap:

I hope you have a UPS to protect your computer. Have you checked the voltages with a MultiMeter ? May be low if you are far from the transformer. :(

Well same thing happens at my place when the UPS switches over from normal mode to AVR Trim mode or when I turn on the UPS when its turned off... I don't think its a load issue since at the lanparty day, we had 10 comps running off the same sockets and there was no issue.

yup. it IS very low ... after 7 pm, my entire neighbourhood switches to american standard AC ;) I have a Step up transformer for my PC , but oddly, the viewsonic runs on 110V ac without any issues( I connect my monitor straight to mains because of the loading issue.. my UPS is almost dead ... makes Comp restart whenever i switch monitor on :D)

Chaos said:
Well same thing happens at my place when the UPS switches over from normal mode to AVR Trim mode or when I turn on the UPS when its turned off... I don't think its a load issue since at the lanparty day, we had 10 comps running off the same sockets and there was no issue.

I am sure you know much much more than me on these things... but I had this same problem with my monitor and TV and AC and Geyser - than in 2001 we had our house rewired and I had extra thick wires placed all over the house and since then this dimming of lights at time of switchinng on heavy load items is not there any more. Any idea what can cause it besides having thinner wires ?

By the way I am a real nut case - I have placed AMP and Voltage Panel meters online with my rooms power supply :) I even have a Digital Panel Voltmeter on line with my computer .... :) ... total nut case.... Because of this DPM on my computers line I have seen during winter nights that the incoming voltage is at times as high as 265v for hours !! :O

@greenhorn ... UPS prices are quite low now - get a good brand - dont take chances with your computer with the bad electricity supply you have at your place .... last month I bought a Powercom 1kva UPS for 4000/-.

Eazy said:
By the way I am a real nut case - I have placed AMP and Voltage Panel meters online with my rooms power supply :) I even have a Digital Panel Voltmeter on line with my computer .... :) ... total nut case.... Because of this DPM on my computers line I have seen during winter nights that the incoming voltage is at times as high as 265v for hours !! :O

@greenhorn ... UPS prices are quite low now - get a good brand - dont take chances with your computer with the bad electricity supply you have at your place .... last month I bought a Powercom 1kva UPS for 4000/-.

Lol i wish i had that kind of money to blow on a UPS... If i had 2k spare, I'd dutifully spend it on 512M RAM:D plus, i think it isnt the UPS fault alone... once during a LAN party, mine was connected to our big college UPS, and a spike made my PC alone restart. since then, i got myself a better PSU! switching on and off the mains doesnt turn my UPS or PC off, but when the power goes off, then the PC restarts on UPS backup . i figure its some weird transient, or my UPS cant switch fast enough:(

btw, my stepup thingy has its analog panel meter too :bleh:

Well I'd say beef curry :bleh: (no tomatoes n onions)....
I have the Samsung 940BW and also saw the viewsonic model mentioned. Think the viewsonic may be better AFA visual quality goes, but by 2-5% not more. I liked the form factor of the samsung, much sleeker.

Service is an important part of a TFT buying decision...

you can buy VG1930 WM which is a bit better than every other monitor in its price range its an upscaled version of VA1912W.

I got it from lammigton road for Rs 14500.

Back