Vista SP1 Update Process Kills Some PCs

Aniruddh

Adept
Microsoft hurriedly pulls one bad prerequisite update which caused a world of trouble for some Microsoft users

Microsoft rolled out it Windows Vista Service Pack 1 to select customers recently. The SP1 update drew mixed reviews according to initial testers. However, while SP1 is relatively stable, it pulls in Windows Updates and one particular prerequisite update is giving people serious problems.

Microsoft rolled out three prerequisite updates last week through Windows Update to prepare users computers computers for Windows Vista SP1. If customers tried to install Vista SP1 without the update, the SP1 install process would simply go and grab the update.

One of these updates, KB937287, caused some serious issues among some users. As Vista SP1 automatically grabs this update, some users experienced side effects during the SP1 installation process.

During the Vista SP1 installation process, some unfortunate users report their computer gets stuck on the third step -- the Windows Update step. Their installation process read, "Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete" according to one user, and then the system reboots. After rebooting the installation process resumes -- then the computer reboots again. The computer becomes frozen in an unbootable loop. Numerous users on the Microsoft forums have reported having the same problem. Other users have reported that their computer simply would not boot properly.

Exactly how widespread the problem is at the time is unknown. Microsoft is trying to look into what is causing this unrecoverable crash. In the meantime they have pulled the prerequisite update.

For afflicted users, who already received the update, the only solution is to reboot their computers, boot from their original Vista disk and do a system restore to restore their computer to a state several days prior. Users may have to choose multiple restore points to find a working one, if any work at all. Some users report finding working restore points after several tries. However, users must then turn off Windows automatic update or the problem may recommence.

Some users have reported hardware and hard disk problems after restoration.

Many mistakenly labeled the problem as an issue caused directly by Vista SP1. While SP1 did inadvertently trigger the problem, it was the prerequisite update for Vista SP1 that raised havoc on users' machines. Microsoft has responded quickly, acknowledging this problem, and hopes to fix the update.

Source:- DailyTech - Vista SP1 Update Process Kills Some PCs, Microsoft Responds

super_saiyan :S so now how u gonna solve this issue-system restore or wat?huh people thought SP1 will solve all de prblms/bug in Vista but it was juz da opposite...dunno wen will be Vista Stable...

i could not fix it..:(

downloaded drivers from asus home .. still wont install . its usb for gawds sake..din have patience to troubleshoot more..so ditched the beech.

^^^Feeling pathetic...as people like u r helpless in such scenario then wat v gonna do if sumthin goes wrng!!:S

Off Topic...actually i got a HP lappy 4-5 days bak frm US,It has a Vista Ultimate 64.i m sure u wud b awair tht HP dont give any CD/DVD for drivers or OS along with de lappy...it has 2 partition C Drive-with 140GB,D with 15GB(3.5GB free) in which there is a file restore...so wht if i wanna make 1 Bootable dvd for OS n 1 for drivers?wht i shud do now?

^You can't. It is a pain, but these OEMs are not required to provide you a damned thing. You can usually call up the helpdesk and request they send you the DVD, and they usually oblige, or charge you a small amount (at least Dell does).

Ooh damn :( is it so?now this is utter cr*p...well i dun think it wud b possible to get de DVD now...but still ill try...k temme as u said i juz cant make a dvd then how i m gonna install OS if i format my hdd etc?in such case wht people usually do?:mad:

Ah, you use the recovery partition. You are not supposed to access, format or delete that in any way.

And if it has Vista Ultimate 64, I would suggest simply backing up the entire drive using Vista's in built utility. It is simply amazing - I restored all of Vista + apps on another drive, plus recreated deleted partitions( for a total of 50GB of data) from a USB external hdd in about 25 minutes.....

(Though the issue there is without the Vista boot DVD, how will you restore it? Heheh). This is why you really should never pay an OEM more for the premium version without also demanding they give you the DVD.

In the absence of a Vista DVD, you may want to try some other imaging tool.

Thanks a lot KingKrool for ur inputs :) ya i kno i shud hav atleast got da DVD but then i dint :(

Can u plz guide me step by step bcoz i m a novice in this thin!!i kno its gonna b vry irritating for u...but then i really dun have much idea so wud b vry thankfull to 2 if u can!

1-I dont have external hdd.

2-for another partition i need to format da hdd n in tht case wht i m gonna do?

You don't need an external HDD. A few DVDs will do just fine. Try getting hold of Acronis TrueImage. People here swear by it, and it is quite easy to use. No instructions required :)

KingKrool said:
I dunno what you mean by that. Did it save the disk image to D:\ ?

Hhmm disk image dint get ya :huh:

I was asking wht i have to do...there r 2 partition...Total HDD Space-160GB-C Drive 140GB ,N D drive is 15gb(3.5GB free) in which its written Restore...so i need to make a dvd for D drive (restore) thing isnt it?

U meant Image frm SF like Daemon tool?

I m really sorry for all this...but u guyz r my only hope!!:)

With Acronis TrueImage, just back up ur system partition to DVDs. You don't need the original Restore partition. With True Image, u can create ur own restore Partition(u can even make it hidden from the OS) AFTER u have the system setup just the way u want it and activate F11 recovery option in case ur OS ever becomes unstable. The original restore Partition is a pain in the ***.

Btw, if I'm confusing u even more :D , install TrueImage and it'll all start making sense. It's a very user friendly software with a wizard driven interface. If u're stuck somewhere, post here.

Naga said:
With Acronis TrueImage, just back up ur system partition to DVDs. You don't need the original Restore partition. With True Image, u can create ur own restore Partition(u can even make it hidden from the OS) AFTER u have the system setup just the way u want it and activate F11 recovery option in case ur OS ever becomes unstable. The original restore Partition is a pain in the ***.

Btw, if I'm confusing u even more :D , install TrueImage and it'll all start making sense. It's a very user friendly software with a wizard driven interface. If u're stuck somewhere, post here.

Thanks a ton mate...i think it shud work for me...its 250MB software ill download it n then will try to make de DVD for de OS,n drivers...n then will cum bak to u.
Thanks bye tc :)

Back