CPU/Mobo VMWare Problem - 4770k and GA-Z87-D3HP

spr

Disciple
Hi,

I had recently purchased, 4770k and GA-Z87-D3HP

My OS is Windows 7 32 bit (cannot change this).

Now, my problem is whenever I run VMWARE Workstation or Player, during the initial boot up of Guest OS (XP), the CPU usage goes up to 100% on all cores and the system becomes unresponsive, i.e., mouse jerky, audio stuttering, etc. until the guest OS is loaded. After the inital load phase, the system runs smoothly.

I ran DPC latency at the time of this problem and was showing red spikes all the way up during this time period.

I tried the same VM in my AMD X6 system, and it runs without any problems. I tried using VirtualBox, and it is running smoothly without the above mentioned problems.

My question is this due to the Motherboard, CPU, or any other reason.

Anyone else running VMWARE on Z87 motherboard and what motherboard ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ensure that you have intel VT technology enabled in bios and also the C1 - C1e state disabled in bios , and post if the same issue occurs, also share the Vmware workstation version, try with intel HT enabled and disabled to see if it makes any difference

Hi ryanrulez4ever,

Intel VT technology enabled in bios - YES

C1 - C1e state disabled in bios -YES - infact I have disable all the power states

Intel HT enabled and disabled - NONE - does not seem to make any difference.

The problem persists.

what is the vmware workstation version you're using ? and do you have latest version of vmware tools installed ?

you've shared the CPU and Motherboard specs, could you also share the ram
and if any overclocks at all

Last edited:
what is the vmware workstation version you're using ? and do you have latest version of vmware tools installed ?

you've shared the CPU and Motherboard specs, could you also share the ram
and if any overclocks at all

You know what "what is the vmware workstation version you're using" this gave me a clue and made me check my X6 machine, and what I found was, it was version 9 in the X6 and in the i7 machine it was version 10.

So I went ahead and downgraded to version 9 on the i7 machine and now problem seems to have disappeared. It is running smoothly now, so I will continue to use version 9.

What seems to be the reason, any guesses ?

Thanks a ton ryanrulez4ever.

to identify the culprit, try installing vmware workstation 10 again and change the hardware version down to 9 and check

refer the vmware hardware version differences below
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003746

Sorry could not post yesterday.

I better leave it as it is for now. In the future, I will think about going forward with this step.

Also update VMWare tools once you upgrade the machine version.
Yeah, I did run the update.

One more thing, do we need to set the number of cores and number of processors option in "Settings" manually ?

One more thing, do we need to set the number of cores and number of processors option in "Settings" manually ?

I think VMWare stores that information along with the RAM info and all etc. in the config file of the virtual machine. So there is no need to set the cores and processors manually. Unless you copy only the vmdk file and try to map it to a new VM and start using it.

Back