PC Peripherals VX450 failed TWICE. Please Help

Tao

Disciple
Hello all

I own a system (Phenom II X2 unlocked to X4 , 785G onboard , 2 GB RAM) that's powered by a Corsair VX450W PSU.

The PSU is connected to a power strip(3 sockets) which is then connected to AC Mains. I have no UPS or any other device in the connection (except a Printer and Monitor connected using the same power strip)

My system was built back in October last year and had been working fine, when in June first week the problem happened as I was playing Dragon Age.

Suddenly the system shuts down and the supply to the whole room got cut because the ELCB in the main switchboard of my house had tripped.

I had to reset it but the power supply was dead !! A short circuit ?

I thought it was a faulty PSU and got it RMAed. I got a fresh piece in a week, and I installed it and everything was normal again.

But its normal only for 5 days, when this supply also dies off in the same manner (incidentally, i had just launched Fallout 3 app. and decided to get a cup of coffee and when I come back I see the power is cut...i reset the ELCB...PSU is dead)

Frustrated I ordered another RMA, got a new one today(revision A1W) but I believe the problem is not the PSU but something outside.

I removed the power strip and connected the supply directly to a 16A 3pin socket. I got the connections in the main switchboard checked and everything, but I am still not sure what the problem is.

Can there be some problem with the power backup facility in the building I live ?

I need some help. Does anybody have a clue ? If you need any other info, please ask.

TIA

Could there be constant power fluctuations in the building you reside? I am presuming you haven't connected a UPS to the system? The UPS would constantly switch to backup mode and resume to normal mode in case of such fluctuations and can easily hint you about the problem. Can you check the PC at your friend's place who does not stay in this building?

It could be due to power fluctuation,get a UPS installed ASAP,also does this happen when its running in the buildings back up mode i.e via generator.

yes, install a UPS with a good spike/surge filter or an external unit.Also if the household power supply wiring is poor then no hope.IF problem repeats ,a dedicated wiring is required(highly recommended).

Thx for the replies guys.

I was once considering getting a UPS but then I learnt that I would have to spend at least 7k to get an APC UPS that's compatible with the VX450.

Since the building has backup I dont need a UPS backup, is there some cheap alternative for spike protection ? Should I use a stabilizer ?

@Gannu : How do I check ? The system was working fine when I took it to Nehru Place with the different PSU the technician used. It works fine for around 5 days and then dies suddenly.

What in case if the ELCB trips off ? Better buy a UPS mate. Why going for 7k UPS. You can get a good 800va UPS from microtek. My friend has 800va UPS and corsair cx400 and it works like a charm. Initially he thought that only a pure sine wave UPS alone will be compatible which retails for more than 6k. But later on as per my advice he bought a line interactive UPS (microtek 800va) and it functions good. So go in for a line interactive UPS which is cheap. He is also using a stablizer and a surge filter but i dont know these are a necessary if UPS is there .

With regard to the ups FOR his PSU I adviced him based on the advice given by some TE members...

Just a thought , check the power supply wiring inside the power socket , if live , earth and neutral wires are swapped or falsely installed by electrician ! ...

^Correct me if I am wrong but I thought swapping the live and neutral does not have any effect?

@Tao: Is there an effect on any other consumer electronics such as the TV? It should not ideally turn on in case the voltage dips beyond a certain level. A stabiliser may not be the best choice here either. And the UPS we are talking of need not be necessarily a pure sine wave UPS since Corsair power supplies seems to buzz with the APC UPSs which is a pretty reknown issue except that Corsair reps have stated that the power supply will not have any problems as a result.

What is the present status? Is the computer working fine now? How long is it since the new VX is in the system?

Desecrator said:
^Correct me if I am wrong but I thought swapping the live and neutral does not have any effect?
Ur right , but this is what one comp guy asked me to check when i told him about my fried GPU and CM EPP PSU ... :ashamed:

well be careful with the ups i have an APC 600W and it fried the VX450 as soon as i connected it. Had to get it RMAed. Have been using it without the UPS. UPS provides 3hrs backup for my wireless router now.

VX450 can handle Small fluctuations. In case u connect it to a UPS/Stabilizer check its output once to be sure. Also check the earthing as mentioned above. It can prevent damage

Desecrator said:
@Tao: Is there an effect on any other consumer electronics such as the TV? It should not ideally turn on in case the voltage dips beyond a certain level. A stabiliser may not be the best choice here either. And the UPS we are talking of need not be necessarily a pure sine wave UPS since Corsair power supplies seems to buzz with the APC UPSs which is a pretty reknown issue except that Corsair reps have stated that the power supply will not have any problems as a result.

What is the present status? Is the computer working fine now? How long is it since the new VX is in the system?

I haven't noticed a problem with the TV or the Fridge or the AC (though it has a Stabilizer) whatsoever

Yeah the computer is fine ATM, can't say for how long though. I got the new PSU last Saturday.

I've noticed complaints with Step wave UPS'es paired with the VX-series . I asked a service engineer and he asked me to get atleast a 1000VA UPS. I was considering the SmartUPS-750 but spending 7k for a 3k PSU doesnt go well with me,especially since I wont be needing the backup at all because my building has one. I think I'll try to put a stabilizer for the moment and see what I can do later

Thanks for all the ideas guys, feel free to suggest something as you find.

Tao said:
I own a system (Phenom II X2 unlocked to X4 , 785G onboard , 2 GB RAM) that's powered by a Corsair VX450W PSU.

The PSU is connected to a power strip(3 sockets) which is then connected to AC Mains. I have no UPS or any other device in the connection (except a Printer and Monitor connected using the same power strip)

Where are you located?

What is the full config of you pc?

Have you got the electrical connections at your place checked?

Is the earthing ok?

Are the polarities in the sockets ok and how is steady is the power in your locality?

What brand of power strip do you use?

Is '3' the maximum no. of sockets it has and do you have any idea on it's max load carrying capability?

is the power strip absolutely OK- earthing, line, neutral ok?

Irrespective of the brand, you run all that from one power strip which means you draw all power from a single wall socket?

You should ideally call a good qualified electrician (whom you trust), and get the voltage quality checked. Irrespective of the computer, electrical components are failing so get the power input to your house checked for spikes and fluctuations. It does not seem that your PSU was overloaded cause a

Phenom II X2 unlocked to X4 , 785G onboard , 2 GB RAM

should not trigger this.

Highly probably that it is a voltage issue. Was the multi strip you using of good quality..?

Back