PC Peripherals VX450 on APC RS500 UPS

saROMan

Disciple
I am planning to upgrade to PSU and finallized on VX450, but going through the thread seems lot of people facing issues with there UPS so wanted to know if my APC RS500 UPS will be able to take the load of VX450 as dont want to change the UPS right now. any suggesions ?

my Rig details are in my Signature

I am using a VX 450 on a 3 year old eMerge 500VA UPS. It worked fine, gave me enough time to shutdown in case of power cut. But now, after getting my 5850, if power goes off while gaming,it lasts only like 10-15s before switching off, sometimes even lesser .

Go ahead and check if it works fine. It won't explode or anything hehe, just will switch off. If that happens before you can shutdown, you will have to get a higher rated UPS.

i don't think RS500 can handle a VX450. My VX450 blew immedialty when i connected it to RS550.

Do it at your own risk.

I would advice to go for atleast 650 or above but do inquire before testing

gauviz said:
i don't think RS500 can handle a VX450. My VX450 blew immedialty when i connected it to RS550.
Do it at your own risk.

Are you sure ?? i am going for VX450 coz wanted to switch to HD5770 ...Damn just for changing GFX i may have to change 1st PSU & now UPS :cursing: :Comp3:

The APC500 was too less for most midrange gaming systems even some years back.

Many have used APC BackUPS 800 and 1000VA with their Corsair 650+ psus.

Some get buzzing noise and some don't.

But i am not sure if any died due to that.

Ideally, one needs a pure sine wave UPS like the APC Smart series ones.

With the high probability of you moving to a 5770 soon, you will not only need a new psu but maybe a new UPS too.

A bad/overloaded UPS may die killing the psu and/or the rig components too. :)

With your Quad in there, and a HD5770 the VX450 will be a shade tight. Yes the system will run, but you would not have much over head for future expansion, or heavy OC (if you want). You should ideally move to the 550W range and get a UPS which can support this. A 1KVA UPS should be good.

Bikeinstein:

I am using my TX650 with an RS1.1KVA APC. I get a buzz/hiss for like 5 seconds when the system boots, then it vanishes. Though the system seems stable -- till now.

With my earlier rig (E8400 and others are same), I am using Back UPS 550V and it works well.
I get about 10mins backup on idle (along with 19" LCD, only 1TB HDD connected and couple of modems)

Havent tested with my current one.

zapout said:
why not cm gx 550?
price is ~4.5K

CM GX series is not very good ones. Please do some research before suggesting a PSU to someone. The GX-750 review says its good enough as a 600w unit and not a 750 and that too with not so good capacitors and voltage regulation. So the GX-550 should deliver only 400-450w and that too its quality is inferior to VX450 and the price is 15-20% more.

Conclusions
Cooler Master GX 750 W looks like a good option for users looking for a mainstream 750 W power supply, however it has a major flaw that prevents us from recommending it: noise level at +3.3 V and +5VSB outputs were above the maximum allowed when we pulled 600 W and above from this unit. High noise levels overload and can even damage components on your computer.

If you are looking for a mainstream 750 W power supply our recommendation is still Seventeam ST-750P-AF, which is USD 20 cheaper than Cooler Master GX 750 W and provides better performance (namely higher efficiency and lower noise levels). Of course GX 750 W offers as advantages having four power cables for video cards and more SATA power connectors, but it is only safe to run this new Cooler Master unit up to 450 W.

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
Performance (40% of the final score) - the Coolermaster GX-750 underwhelmed in just about every way possible. Regulation was only so-so, efficiency was remarkably lower than the 80 Plus test report would have us believe, and the 3.3V rail had more ripple than the last time I did a cannonball into a pool when I was still a three hundred plus pounder. To boot, the unit wouldn't even come close to full power at forty degrees before the overtemp protection came in and shut down the party. I dearly hope that Coolermaster's shipping retail units are better performing than my sample was, but since I couldn't get my hands on one of them I'll have to score this one as I see it. I have to do a 6 here I think.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - it is interesting that the one chain of Molex connectors also has a single SATA connector on it as well. I can see situations where you might want that sort of flexibility if you're upgrading an old system that still uses a bunch of older hard drives and you want to stick that one new SATA model in there without having to break out the actual SATA cable chains this unit has going on. It would suck if you only had to use one SATA connector and ended up having to hide the three others on each of those chains. So, that's a little bit of a nice feature. Also nice is the cable sleeving that goes right into the case. I do think this unit could benefit from being modular, but I can't fault it for not being modular. Still, I do find that one Molex chain to be a little bit on the long side, so a point will come off for that. 9.

Summary

Coolermaster has a decent 600 watt unit here. The unit does pretty well for stability and efficiency, doesn't get very loud, and... what? It's a 750 watt unit?

Facepalm.

Past Coolermaster units have done pretty well here in the lab, and I'm puzzled that this one has done so poorly. I hope that next time, if there is a next time, we'll have something worth getting excited about.

The Good:

appearance
enough cabling to handle anything a 750W unit can power
somewhat shallow depth

The Bad:

cannot handle heat at 750 watts
ripple issues on the 3.3V rail
questionable capacitor quality

The Mediocre:

voltage regulation
Coolermaster GX-750 750W Review

gauviz said:

Do it at your own risk.

I am using my Rig (spec in my signature) on RS550 & in the last 2 weeks there was 1 day when we had power cut, during that it gave me back-up..... the only thing I did was I didn't connect my Monitor to it. Cuz I know how to shutdown my system or save my work without visual aid ;) My Rig is about 2 weeks old but the APC RS550 is 1.5 years old.

the UPS u r using is 300watt how can u use 300W ups with 450W psu.Your UPS works upto 300W load and if load increases it shutdown due to overload.As ur PSU is 80+ it Works upto 240W system load.

u have two options either change ur PSU or UPS.

For 5770 corsair cx400 also sufficient and u save around Rs.1000. sell ur current UPS and buy APC BACK-UPS ES 650VA with shutdown software.

Back