W700i Review

Okie, just a quickie review here since my sis will be taking this with her..
Inevitable comparisions with the W800i may occur, but please forget it, i'm just trying to review the w700i alone.

Bought the W700i for Rs.13200 with SE warranty and stuff. Sis didnt want the w800i coz it "looked like a toy."

Contents of the Box :

The phone, 2 piece hands-free, data-cable, 256mb memory stick duo pro, memory stick adaptor, CD with bundled s/w

Looks :

Looks nice. dull golden brown front and back, and dull silver sides.
do not buy this phone if you want something very very flashy, coz this isnt.
The buttons are placed perfectly for anyone to handle.
Orange Backlight looks nice with the mobile.
VERY lightweight!

As with the other SE models, removing the SIM card still remains a pain.

Camera :

2MP good enough. havnt taken any specific photos to test the lack of Auto Focus. Very effective Flash.
Video recording is OK (as with all such mobiles) and is taken in 3gp format.

Walkman/Speakers/FM Radio :

Very good! superb quality with the bundled earphones, and the speakers sound very good too!

Software Provided :
  • PC Suite to connect and transfer media
  • Quicktime
  • Adobe Photoshop Album SE (Has some image editing features)
  • Disc2Phone to transfer music from PC to phone

Though i dont like the PC Suite, so i am using a friend's recommendation of MyPhoneExplorer.

Havnt installed any appz into the mobile.

Bought it mainly for the mp3 playing feature and camera as a backup.

Photos :
  • Contents
  • Walkman
  • Mobile fits nicely into my hand
  • Photo taken with the W700i from the front of my home.
:cool2:

@dmanthesupernerd: oh ok.. but the phones which you buy in india nd china seem to carry only national warranties, whereas in the gulf, almost all shops offer international warranties.

@arindam88: it has infra-red and bluetooth facility (if thats what you're asking..)

Hey I recently enquired it's price it's available for Rs. 13,000/- in Central Market, New Delhi. I have few Question: How's the Joystick Quality and secondly Pic Quality in absence of Auto Focus: if possible plz display some of the pics taken by this phone in different conditions like Indoor, Outdoor with different Lighting Conditions like Bright Sunny Day, in the night etc. and even if it's raining at your place then a snap of that too. Battery life and Build Quality as you have mentioned seems to be OK.

BTW i saw SE ad in The Hindu for the w700i... Woot! i bought it before they even started advertising it!!

@Arnov: My sis has taken it to Mumbai, so i cant post any more pics.The last photo in the review shows a pic taken with it.
Joystick seems nice. But then there have been a few complaints about joystick of other SE phones right? So you gotta service it once in a while i guess..

Vince said:
BTW i saw SE ad in The Hindu for the w700i... Woot! i bought it before they even started advertising it!!

@Arnov: My sis has taken it to Mumbai, so i cant post any more pics.The last photo in the review shows a pic taken with it.
Joystick seems nice. But then there have been a few complaints about joystick of other SE phones right? So you gotta service it once in a while i guess..

Thanx a lot dude, for your concern. Anyway the Joystick seemed to be the same type as of SE W800i (including height and shape), hence we can expect much better Joystick then SE K750i due to reduced height and reliability of SE W800i.

I just wanted a bit more detail on the USB Mass Storage as i would like to just connect it to PC for file transfers without any software. Many sites including sony ericsson mention USB Mass storage function. Is it really available??
You also mentioned the price to be 13K.... I'm from chennai to and enquired at Wavetel....in Mountroad under anna flyover and they quoted 16.4K... A 3.4k price difference??
I also wanted to know whether it operates fast or takes longer time to load each screens.... i'm also intrested in loading java games and am concerned with the quality of the joystick and keypad... will it last the distance??
Be glad if you can provide me this info.... My decision to buy depends on what you say. I would have gone for the 810i but the lack of camers lens cover really put me off from that.

@VPraveenis: No idea about UMS dude..i used MyFileExplorer.. really cool s/w

The price i bought it for was Rs.13200. the price seems to have dropped according to some to rs.13000. maybe thats the next shipment..
Rs.16.4K is plain ripping you off.

I bought mine at MMR Cell Phone Shoppe below Ponnusamy Restaurant near Besant Nagar (a few stops before the Besant Nagar Depot)

When i used it, it was fast enough. i like the quality of the keypad and the joystick.
Sorry if i wasnt of much help. thats all i know!

actually yues it can be used as a USB mass storage device. i use my phone for doing that ... :D...

when you connect your phone to the pc it is recognised as as USB MS device...

that makes it easier to copy stuff and transfer at usb 2.0 speeds :D

That is exactly what i'm looking for..... But does the Music player recognize the files that are dragged and dropped directly into the memory card??

And it was specified as 13.6k in univercell website..... so i'll get back to that fellow and catch him by the neck...:cool2:

and some complained about the quality of video recorded.... is that true??
can you give a detailed info on battery life?? How long does it last if
1.The phone is in walkman only mode?
2.It is in normal mode with half to one hour talktime everyday?
3. how long does it take to charge?

as far as it being able to play the files dragged and dropped .. yes it can :D.. but should be wav/mp3 or mp4.. only then would it play it :D.

as far as battery... i have used my phone for more then an hour on walkman mode... :D... and intiatly talktime is way above 1hour on a full charge.. :D

It has got some positive reviews regarding the Photo Quality also. Although it lacks Autofocus, but if you keep your hand constant during clicking the Photograph you can expect very good Quality Photos. This is indeed proving to be the best VFM Phone till date.

Ok..My frnd has dis cell...Gud One But d Speaker Volume aint tat loud...even K750 outclassed it...

Also wen taking Pictures in d Large Picture mode it doesnt offer Zoom Option..wich otherwise is available in K750....

Overall a Gud Mobile....

reasonable review, but I prefer slightly longer reviews with a few more product shots, and some camera shots using the phone also. :)

Vandal Bhai, you think i DIDN'T want to give a longer review?? :eek:
I just had around ONE day with that phone :(
i'd have LOVED to have had it for some more time and given a thorough update :(

Vince said:
Vandal Bhai, you think i DIDN'T want to give a longer review?? :eek:
I just had around ONE day with that phone :(
i'd have LOVED to have had it for some more time and given a thorough update :(

Nice review... :) from an amateur btw.. I've spent half an hour with an Imate Jasjar and reviewed it so time isn't the criterion here. Its what to look for and what not... anyways nice review like I said.. I never read my own after writing them...:eek:hyeah:

Back