W810 + 2GB pro duo = very slow

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
Hi guys... i just bought a 2GB pro duo for my cell and after filling like 1.4GB the navigation has become really slow... sometimes it takes ages to open the walkman screen...
Can u guys tell me if there something i can do to make it run faster??? like fragmenting or something... tried restarting every day but it aint gettin faster :( :(

IceFusion

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
www.karanbajaj.in
well it wont... all i can suggest is that u make as many folders as possible and dont leave multiple heavy files in the root or one folder as it takes time to scan through all of them and then show them...

kauzy

Skilled
Jul 9, 2005
ya.... i agree wid icefusion.....keeping large files in same folder will also require more access time...

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
It is bound to be slow when opening folders containing lots of images ( specially GIF's), however dont know why the walkman app takes so long, maybe it verifies all the files in the playlist while starting.

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
darn me getting a 2gb pro duo in a few days myself!!

hmm so its gonna be slow as hell eh?? darn!!! sucks!

achha tell me.. i would have normally a few radio shows of 150mb each... so that would slow as hell... or would it be better if i convert and put it in my phone so that the size is reduced!

any other way to improve performance of the phone . thanks!

Params7

Skilled
Mar 18, 2005
Actually i think it has something to do with bitrate quality. If you have over 100megs of 300+kbps mp3's, its natural for the phone to slow down.

Have them encode in 128-160kbps and see if it improves anything.

IceFusion

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
www.karanbajaj.in
layman's terms... when u switch on the phones music player... it reads the id3 tags of the mp3 files.. and names them accordingly... having 2 many songs in the same folder, makes the access time very high as it tries to read as many tags as possible at one time...

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
I maintained a lot of folders and made playlists instead of plazing from tracks... then master reset the phone and now its a tad faster...
But if u leave the phone for sometime and then browse u can clearlz see its prettz slow than it used to be but if u maintain folders it is kinda fast in browsing pics n songs...
Thanx a lot icy... and one more question does w810 support 4gb cause my frnd got a web cam n i am thinkin to sell 2gb stick her n buy a 4gb and also will it be dead slow then or can i manage ???

@chic_magnet : its only a bit slow so for me its manageable... but if u browse a lot of pics then u might wanna think again and get a 1GB instead...

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
do ya get 4gb mem sticks? and ya i think it does support max 4gb :D..

hmm the 2gb for me is only for music though... dont browse pics as much.

what you say abt it though? should i put the pics in seperate folders too !!!

and what ya mean by a master reset?

@icefusion

so basicallly is it due to large files or id3 tags ?? and is there a specific way to name the id3 tags so that it reads em faster?

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
@BD: Dont even remind me of tht moto... used to get sick of tht blue screen... :mad: :mad: Now it can be used as a new gen Paper weight though :hap2: :hap2:

@chic_magnet: For songs only means it will be fine but the menu navigation will take a little time... and master reset will reset all the settings and will make the fone a bit faster i guess...

And abt the 4GB pro duo... Here only sandisk is offering 4GB card for 300frnks... arnd 11000rs... no sony version available... so i guess since its not sony..speed will be really less....

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
bah sandisk is way better then sony!! chk up on the eseth forums!!

and 4gb for 11k?? i asked in sony mony world and they told me 2gb for 11k.. looters!!!

alright lemme get my 2gb... its been a long time coming!! :p.. i shall see what i can do to keep it going with my sanity intact :D

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
Hey are u sure sandisk better than sony ??? lemme chk out on the eseth...
Donno the prices in india but in europe 2GB sony n sandisk for 5.5k and 4GB sandisk for 11k(in Rs) :hap2: :hap2:

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
you get 2gb here for 2.2k :p :p.. but that`s not original... if it works good ... or else chuck it.. so its basically you gotta try your luck with it!! even 1gb original costs around 8k.. whose gonna buy that!!!! your better of buying 2-3 duplicate 1gb cards for around 1.3k!! and you`d get lucky if all three of em work fine! :bleh:

my friend got his sandisk from singapore. for 2.2k i think... didnt even tell me !! sad bugger!

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
chic_magnet said:
you get 2gb here for 2.2k :p :p.. but that`s not original... if it works good ... or else chuck it.. so its basically you gotta try your luck with it!! even 1gb original costs around 8k.. whose gonna buy that!!!! your better of buying 2-3 duplicate 1gb cards for around 1.3k!! and you`d get lucky if all three of em work fine! :bleh:

my friend got his sandisk from singapore. for 2.2k i think... didnt even tell me !! sad bugger!

u sure about those prices mate ? ... sound too good to me.

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
dont exactly know of the prices of that sandisk my friend got from singapore.. but its around 2.2k i think...

the prices of the original stick are confirmed sicne i have asked myself at sony mony.

and abt the prices ofthe stick i'm getting.. its for 2.2k. hopefullly :D..

IceFusion

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
www.karanbajaj.in
well... it does support upto 4gb.. but i would suggest sticking with 2gb... 4gb would ruin ur phone... it would become slow like hell...

@icefusion
so basicallly is it due to large files or id3 tags ?? and is there a specific way to name the id3 tags so that it reads em faster?

it is due to both, large files as well as id 3 tags.... the phone takes time to go to each song and check up the information it can gather up for it..

as for speci way to name the Id3 tags so that it reads them faster, is u can use some software to change the Id3 tags to the bare minumum... just the song name... tht 2 just 2 words max.. it would speed up the phone a bit... make sure no other info is in the tag such as artist, year, date gener etc etc...

Reactions: 1 person

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
ic.. i shall try that on my 64mb card at the moment.. though it wont help much i think!.. :D

but thanks for the tips :d

btw i know putting a 4gb card would ruin the phone.... but then i dont understand why are they with 4gb support in the first place..

or you talking abt the nalla cards that would ruin it and not the original 4gb ones!!

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
kewl tip there... i'll try at home today.. :)

I think even the original 4GB ones will kill the speed... cause i'm using original 2GB card and experiencing the lag... and one more thing are the Sandisk ones really a lot faster than the sony pro duo ??

IceFusion

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
www.karanbajaj.in
its just a market gimmick... it sounds good doesn't it... supports 4gb memory cards.. y do u think none of the company packs a mem card of over 512 mb with the phone... they know anything over 1gb would kill the phone's accessin time..