WAN port not detecting internet connection

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
Hi, I have this Asus router rt-n56u which i recently bought, when I try to set this up by connecting my internet cable to the wan port of the router and an another ethernet cable from the router's lan port to my pc, I see there is an activity between the lan port of the router and the PC but none on the wan port, my ISP has only provided me with the cable and the IP settings, no modem.

After this when I try to access the web interface by typing the 192.168.1.1 in the browser, I receive error messages the I'm not connected to any network, so I can't even configure my wifi also, I have followed all the steps mentioned in the manual of the router:
A. Disable the proxy server, if enabled.
B. Set the TCP/IP settings to automatically obtain an IP address.
C. Disable the dial-up connection, if enabled.

if I plug my ISP ethernet cable to my computer directly, I have no problem accessing the internet. However, when I plug the computer into the router and the router into the ISP cable, my computer can't get on the internet. I know the router is functioning because I can access it using my android phone, and I can go to 192.168.1.1 and make changes to the router. On my computer, I can't even access 192.168.1.1.

When the computer is plugged into the router, the only IP address they receive is some slug address (169.254.xx.xx) that does not work. Windows 7 reports that the computer is plugged into an "Unidentified Network."

I have also removed my norton antivirus and turned of the windows firewall, but still no use.

I'm stuck people, help me here.

Thanks & Regards,
RC10

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply @smnrock, I have also tried using static ip's but they too don't help and when i try to do ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew I get an error on the ipconfig /renew command that states that "An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out" I have checked in my services.msc and DHCP is fine and running but still somehow its not able to communicate, any views???

smnrock

Skilled
Apr 9, 2009
dhcp is required only when you select automatic option... for manual its not required. just use one from the same range.. for eg, 192.168.1.108 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. primary dns: your rourter ip and secondary you can use google dns

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
I tried this method also, still getting unidentified network, and still can't access the router's web ui :(

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
I tried resetting the router and again connecting only the pc lan to router's lan, but still i'm getting the IP address in the range of 169.254.X.X, no luck with 192.168.X.X, I can access the router completely from my android phone though, and i also see their that the DHCP server is enabled, but somehow my PC just couldn't find this DHCP server, a small link test provided in the lan driver properties of the Intel also suggest the same thing:

"Cannot run the connection test.

Test details

This adapter is configured to obtain an
IP address automatically but no DHCP server
is present on the network. Windows selected
an IP address using Alternate Private
IP Addressing.
No servers configured.
This test relies on a response from
a gateway, DNS, DHCP or WINS server.
If none of these servers are present
on your network, the test cannot be
run. "

cisco_tech

ex-Mod
Aug 25, 2005
Ahmedabad
If you can connect on your other devices that means problem must be in system only.
Restart the DHCP service by going into Administrative services > Components Services > DHCP Client.

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
I restarted the DHCP Client but still my PC is being assigned the IP in the range of 169.254.X.X :(

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
Ok this is what I did, right-clicked on Command Prompt, selected "Run as Administrator" to open the command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, typed in the bold text, one command after the other, pressing Enter between each of them:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the computer.

But still my computer is being assigned the ip by the windows and not by the DHCP server of the router.

smnrock

Skilled
Apr 9, 2009
I still feel that you have not assigned the manual ip correctly... I don't think tcp/ip is an issue, since it's working if you directly connect to isp cable.

Reactions: cisco_tech

RC10

Recruit
Jul 16, 2014
Ok now wan port of the router not detecting my internet cable from the ISP has been resolved by placing in between a D-link switch, so no the connection is like this internet > switch > router > to my devices but not to my pc, somehow router can detect the pc but can't assign it the ip. For now my temporary solution to get the pc also the internet is to connect it to the switch. In this configuration here is the route table with the static ip(The router changed it's ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 after it detected the wan network, so I also assigned the IP for my PC in the same range):
route table static.PNG

and here is my current ipconfig:
Capture_static_Ipconfig.PNG

Last edited: